Richard Davalos, ‘East of Eden’ Actor, Dies at 85

While we're on the Davalos/Dean theme - I've tried and failed to locate a Dean documentary from at least 20 years ago in which an interviewed person describes Dean as "...a tough kid who swallowed nails"

hqdefault.jpg

One of the most strangely affecting things that i recall from "Autobiography" is Morrissey's queerly fond remembrance of Richard's ring ~

circa. August 1986
"Backstage in Los Angeles, the actor Richard Davalos walks towards me, and, saying nothing, places a square-faced silver ring on the third finger of my left hand. Looking not an hour older than when he played James Deans's screen brother in East of Eden in 1955, Davalos now lives in Echo Park and tends to his garden. A series of beautifully printed letters arrive from Richard at Cadogan Square:

by way of thanks for your magnetic performance here in Los Angeles. It was a truly remarkable evening. You are so very special. RICHARD.

Richard's ring fastened itself to my finger for the next few years, until I suddenly wondered what it was doing there.
"

tumblr_ngc078wxkk1so2s5mo1_1280.jpg

Rest in Peace.

You're reminded me to read Autobiography again.

I've never seen this pic. It's great.

- - - Updated - - -

At least James Dean was attractive. And Brando requires subtitles.

What did you expect James Dean to do for you?

- - - Updated - - -

Wanna bet? JT is nothing to sneeze at. He is übertalented and multidimensional. Check it out:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/barry-gibb-talk-show/n12498

And his sick moves here:

I saw him and Britney at a party when he wasn't all that famous yet. She had really thick legs, and he still had that nasty NSync permfro. Amazing how ugly some celebrities are in person. George Clooney was gross up close. Morrissey is probably better looking in person - he seems to have that aura about him.

I can't make sense of any of this drivel. Anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're reminded me to read Autobiography again.

I've never seen this pic. It's great.

- - - Updated - - -

What did you expect James Dean to do for you?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't make sense of any of this drivel. Anyone else?

That's rich coming from someone who thought a photomontage was a montage. Idiot.

James Dean was a brilliant actor, no matter what Moz'll tell you. Profound performances, heart wrenching. He didn't act, by the way. He bled through the screen. East of Eden was his masterpiece, with Giant at a firm second place.

Hear we go again...Brits/Euros obsessed with everything American, but at the same time talking shit about Americans like the anonymous cowards on the internet they are.

By the way, can any of you post a pic of Morrissey in Manchester or anywhere in England since supposedly all you cowards say he is in England now? You know like how people post photos of Morrissey home in LA out to dinner at an Italian restaurant, at a concert, shopping, or simply walking down the street...etc. I thought so.

that ring story is too silly to be true. moz i standing backstage and davalos has not only a ring with him but one the fits the mozzer perfectly and he slides towards moz, security notwithstanding, and happens to magically slide it in a perfect angle. no clumsy pawing of the stupid ring but everything going huma perfect.
probably davalos gave the ring to moz while on a date.

(the he took it off when he wandered what it was doing there (rolls eyes), more likely took it off when the ring finger got green.

That's rich coming from someone who thought a photomontage was a montage. Idiot.

Big Justin Timberlake fan are we?

Like most but not all anonymous posters you have nothing to contribute at all. Now fade away back into anonymity where you belong :)

Last edited:
Wanna bet? JT is nothing to sneeze at. He is übertalented and multidimensional. Check it out:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/barry-gibb-talk-show/n12498

And his sick moves here:

I saw him and Britney at a party when he wasn't all that famous yet. She had really thick legs, and he still had that nasty NSync permfro. Amazing how ugly some celebrities are in person. George Clooney was gross up close. Morrissey is probably better looking in person - he seems to have that aura about him.

Is this a joke? That twit Timberlake? Sweetheart, my taste is much more refined and cultivated than yours, I am afraid. I just won't settle for some Disney Mickey-mouse product. I stay firmly behind my comment that there won't be another Morrissey. Just yesterday I wanted to expand my record collection by something new. So I went through a long list of current international indie artists and was checking out their music, one by one... And what a disappointment I encountered! The same fashion, image, haircuts and the music not even worthy mentioning; truly forgettable. What's more disturbing is that they all sounded the same, as though it was being sang by the same person/group. There really is nothing out there right now (or about last 20 years) that is worth listening to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Like most but not all anonymous posters you have nothing to contribute at all. Now fade away back into anonymity where you belong :)

f*** off you queer. No, I actually think JT blows like you. It was something called sarcasm. Look it up in that big book.

Is this a joke? That twit Timberlake? Sweetheart, my taste is much more refined and cultivated than yours, I am afraid. I just won't settle for some Disney Mickey-mouse product. I stay firmly behind my comment that there won't be another Morrissey. Just yesterday I wanted to expand my record collection by something new. So I went through a long list of current international indie artists and was checking out their music, one by one... And what a disappointment I encountered! The same fashion, image, haircuts and the music not even worthy mentioning; truly forgettable. What's more disturbing is that they all sounded the same, as though it was being sang by the same person/group. There really is nothing out there right now (or about last 20 years) that is worth listening to.

Hey twitzit, the proper tense is "sung," not "sang." So cultivated...mon Dieu! Why Don't you insert your fat skull back up your ass where you like it?

...and you are??

Oh that's right - a smelly shitlister whose music, image, and name is unrecognizable to at least 99% of the US and European population. You suffer from MASSIVE delusions of grandeur, you sick schizo.

f*** off you queer. No, I actually think JT blows like you. It was something called sarcasm. Look it up in that big book.

Aww, you're adorable.

- - - Updated - - -

...and you are??

Oh that's right - a smelly shitlister whose music, image, and name is unrecognizable to at least 99% of the US and European population. You suffer from MASSIVE delusions of grandeur, you sick schizo.

I don't even know what this means. Are you two sharing the same brain or what? Get some help...

One handsome dude. This pic made one hell of a Smiths cover art, even if it only made it's way to the Best... l & ll compilation and The Complete Picture.

the_smiths_-_the_complete_picture_-_cover.jpg

He was very, very handsome. In his Autobiography, Morrissey talks about a ring Davalos gave him and he used for years.

My favorite actor of old films is Alain Delon. He was like a dream, super sexy. James Dean was beautiful, like an angel. Marlon Brandon was a babe, totally. Also Jeffrey Hunter, Warren Beattie, Richard Curtis, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen. Handsome men of cinema, unite.

While we're on the Davalos/Dean theme - I've tried and failed to locate a Dean documentary from at least 20 years ago in which an interviewed person describes Dean as "...a tough kid who swallowed nails"

I think you are referring to James Dean: The First American Teenager (1975) where composer and friend Leonard Rosenman said he was introduced to James Dean as "a tough kid who sleeps on nails."

My favorite actor of old films is Alain Delon. He was like a dream
yes!! his is like the face you sketch on paper without knowing it exists until you actually see it. for me, the first time was when i saw him in antonioni's l'eclisse, which i was originally watching for monica vitti. such a perfect face, such clean lines, just like a line drawing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom