Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time drops 3 Smiths albums

Rolling Stone has updated their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list, and three of the Smiths albums previously listed have been dropped. Only The Queen is Dead remains, and, although it has moved up from its previous position to #113, it is shocking to see some of the albums that ranked better!

UPDATE Sep. 23:

Posted by sfchow:

Not sure if this been mentioned, but Morrissey did submit his list of albums to RS

(scroll down; right above Stuart Murdoch!)

I wonder if any of Morrissey's votes made it into the final 500...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Taylor Swift considering she has one of more acclaimed albums of this year, now crawl back to your hole lowlife..
It’s not too late to reconsider HengeBoy, and recover some credibility. We’re a forgiving lot here.

Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums + Black Lives Matter = New Rolling Stone Top 500 Albums

I mean, that new list is odd. I wonder if Rolling Stone were concerned about the fallout of having a white band at Number 1 again in the current climate.

But yes, Marvin Gayes album is better than The Beatles' Revolver, Dylan's Blood on the Tracks, Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, Thelonious Monk's Brilliant Corners etc etc.

Their top ten albums is all american artists bar the Beatles ! What a joke ?
kraftwerk, one of the most influential bands of all time should have been in the top 5 to start

All original members were British:

"Fleetwood Mac are a British-American rock band, formed in London in 1967. Fleetwood Mac were founded by guitarist Peter Green, drummer Mick Fleetwood and guitarist Jeremy Spencer, before bassist John McVie joined the lineup for their self-titled debut album. Danny Kirwan joined as a third guitarist in 1968. Keyboardist Christine Perfect, who contributed as a session musician from the second album, married McVie and joined in 1970."

Yeah Taylor Swift considering she has one of more acclaimed albums of this year, now crawl back to your hole lowlife..
The fact that she has a critically acclaimed album out this year is enough to warrant x amount of entries in a list covering the greatest albums of all time?

The fact that she has a critically acclaimed album out this year is enough to warrant x amount of entries in a list covering the greatest albums of all time?

Yeah, the list is nonsense.

The list screams Black Lives Matter. It shouldn't. I mean, they've placed Kendrick Lamar at number 19. Just think about that for a second.

(I think the Taylor Swift rankings in Rolling Stone are exacerbated by their very lovely staff writer Rob Sheffield, who is a massive, massive fan of hers. And also a huge Smiths fan.)

1989 was one the biggest albums of last decade, that gave Taylor her second AOTY at the Grammys something Moz has yet to achieve himself, so yes... 👅

1989 was one the biggest albums of last decade, that gave Taylor her second AOTY at the Grammys something Moz has yet to achieve himself, so yes... 👅
You’re moving the goalposts and avoiding my question.

It’s not too late to reconsider HengeBoy, and recover some credibility. We’re a forgiving lot here.

As if I need to prove anything, Taylor is easily the most acclaimed songwriters of this century she’s in various best songwriters list, don’t undermine her success & acclaim just because you don’t like her..

You’re moving the goalposts and avoiding my question.

How I just literally answered the question, 1989 is her biggest to date and I forgot to mention Red (2012) her second most acclaimed behind folklore is in the top 100 and also deserve its spot..👅

men records.jpg

How I just literally answered the question, 1989 is her biggest to date and I forgot to mention Red (2012) her second most acclaimed behind folklore is in the top 100 and also deserve its spot..👅
No you didn’t. You wrote “considering she has one of more acclaimed albums of this year” to @gordyboy9, which has nothing to do with her older albums entering a list of the best albums of all time. My point is: your logic is off.

Yeah, the list is nonsense.

The list screams Black Lives Matter. It shouldn't. I mean, they've placed Kendrick Lamar at number 19. Just think about that for a second.
To be fair, Kendrick has been one of the most important voices in popular culture these past 10 years. Same goes for Beyoncé. Fans of white rock music and indie might not like it, but It is what is. Personally, I could cry for the lack of German and Scandinavian dark ambient, but I won’t because I know what’s important for mainstream pop culture and what is not.

Marvin so deserves to be at the top spot. That album says so much more about our world and the human race, even today 49 years later, than any of the drugged out ramblings the Beatles ever produced (and I say that as a fan of especially Revolver). Or The Beach Boys, or Zeppelin. Maybe even Zimmerman.

To be fair, Kendrick has been one of the most important voices in popular culture these past 10 years. Same goes for Beyoncé. Fans of white rock music and indie might not like it, but It is what is. Personally, I could cry for the lack of German and Scandinavian dark ambient, but I won’t because I know what’s important for mainstream pop culture and what is not.

Marvin so deserves to be at the top spot. That album says so much more about our world and the human race, even today 49 years later, than any of the drugged out ramblings the Beatles ever produced (and I say that as a fan of especially Revolver). Or The Beach Boys, or Zeppelin. Maybe even Zimmerman.

I saw this on Twitter a few weeks ago, It's Marvin singing Grapevine with his vocal isolated.

I saw this on Twitter a few weeks ago, It's Marvin singing Grapevine with his vocal isolated.

Dear Lord, that was astounding! Cheers for that! You knew he had a remarkable voice, but it really f***ing hits you like this.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom