Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time drops 3 Smiths albums

Rolling Stone has updated their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list, and three of the Smiths albums previously listed have been dropped. Only The Queen is Dead remains, and, although it has moved up from its previous position to #113, it is shocking to see some of the albums that ranked better!

UPDATE Sep. 23:

Posted by sfchow:

Not sure if this been mentioned, but Morrissey did submit his list of albums to RS

(scroll down; right above Stuart Murdoch!)

I wonder if any of Morrissey's votes made it into the final 500...

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, lists are stupid. And Rolling Stone stopped being relevant years ago. However, for this new list the voters included a range of people including other musical artists, music industry folks, and critics. I find it interesting to see what such folks think is "The Best". There are, in fact, many, many excellent albums on the list, but when you see something like Alanis Morrissette at sixty-something, you just have to laugh...

Why? I like Alanis Morissette. Of course there's a lot of great music out of this list, of course lists are one of the dumbest things on earth, but you don't have to dismiss an artist because of that.

Last edited:
No time to go through all 500, but the top 50 are appallingly bad choices. Clealry driven more by PC racial considerations than artistic/musical merit.

Yeah Taylor Swift considering she has one of more acclaimed albums of this year, now crawl back to your hole lowlife..
i live in a four bedroomed very nice house,would love to see your record collection,cher,kylie and a bit of gloria,fantastiche.

Why? I like Alanis Morissette. Of course there's a lot of great music out fo this list, of course lists are one of the dumbest things on earth, but you don't have to dismiss an artist because of that.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Alanis Morrissette is fine. That album was solid. But she is not a particularly original artist, and the fact that her album could be ranked 50 slots better than The Queen is Dead is what is laughable. I wouldn't say that about an essential artist like the Beatles or Marvin Gaye, but Alanis Morrissette is just not at that level. And I'm sure she would be the first one to say so.

gave it the first fifty,harry styles was enough for me,and a greatest hits album should not be included.

Hey, don't get me wrong. Alanis Morrissette is fine. That album was solid. But she is not a particularly original artist, and the fact that her album could be ranked 50 slots better than The Queen is Dead is what is laughable. I wouldn't say that about an essential artist like the Beatles or Marvin Gaye, but Alanis Morrissette is just not at that level. And I'm sure she would be the first one to say so.
if it was jagged little pill,33 million copies sold at the time.dont mind that album,she looks a lot more attractive now than she did back then.

How very refreshing to find What’s Going On at number 1, instead of some dreary old Beatles album. Very deserving. Sad, though, that they felt they had to stoop to mob mentality when writing about MJ’s Thriller. “the horrific revelations about him that have surfaced in recent years.“ The ramblings of two uncorroborated witnesses isn’t the same as the truth or “revelations”. The fact that media and people are pissing all over his legacy is just sad.

The same mechanisms are to blame for the lack of Moz/Smiths albums on the list.

What's Going On is a good album but it's hardly the greatest album ever made. Top 50 maybe.

Ummmm. Hunter S. Thompson was a hell of a national affairs writer, son. Rolling Stone used to be the BIBLE. ...but you’re far too young and full of avarice to have taken the time to read any of the articles in their back-issues. Some Pulitzer stuff in there.

Carry on then.

Used to read it a lot in the 80's...no idea what's it like these days.

Well, that's true. The position is totally wrong. That's why lists are always a bad idea unless you define every single variable considered to make them, which rarely happens, and those variables must be the less subjective as it's possible. List are essentialy unfair and they are a factory of offended people from position 2 down.

No particular order:

The Clash, The Clash
The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead
The Replacements, Pleased To Meet Me
The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers
Morrissey, Your Arsenal
The Housemartins, The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death
The Clash, London Calling
Morrissey, Vauxhall And I
The Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bollocks
The New York Dolls, The New York Dolls
The Rolling Stones, Exile On Main Street
The Smiths, Meat Is Murder
The Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed
The Cars, Candy-O
Blur, Parklife
The Fratellis, Costello Music
David Bowie, Lodger
David Bowie, Aladdin Sane
The Kinks, Lola Versus Powerman

No particular order:

The Clash, The Clash
The Smiths, The Queen Is Dead
The Replacements, Pleased To Meet Me
The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers
Morrissey, Your Arsenal
The Housemartins, The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death
The Clash, London Calling
Morrissey, Vauxhall And I
The Sex Pistols, Never Mind The Bollocks
The New York Dolls, The New York Dolls
The Rolling Stones, Exile On Main Street
The Smiths, Meat Is Murder
The Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed
The Cars, Candy-O
Blur, Parklife
The Fratellis, Costello Music
David Bowie, Lodger
David Bowie, Aladdin Sane
The Kinks, Lola Versus Powerman

Thank you Johnny Ray for posting some of the great records that made the list!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom