Salisbury 02.11.09

UncivilServant

Just got home from a stunning evening in the company of Morrissey in Salisbury.
After the disappointment of Swindon, I was praying all would go well tonight.
I can safely report now that all did indeed go well - you would never think he was in hospital just over a week ago :)

Highlights for me were How Soon Is Now, Cemetary Gates, Irish Blood, English Heart and WDYFOFY. Moz looked good, was in good humour and sounded brilliant tonight - this was my second Morrissey gig if you include Swindon and he more than made up for that - constantly reaching into the crowd to touch hands and also made a bee-line for the brave crowd-surfer who launched towards the stage and shook his hand

It was packed at the front and made even worse by a few idiots who barged to the front for the final few songs - only there for the shirt throwing which, I must say, was absolutely ridiculous! A couple of girls on the barrier got it when it landed and quite rightly, tried to hide it as they had their prize. Cue the idiots, who launched into a frenzied tug-of-war with the girls and the shirt.
This carried on into the middle of the now emptying hall, tempers were fraying and people were crying - but the shirt still wouldn't seperate. It must have been a good ten minutes until it was decided - one of the "winners" of a scrap of material shoving it down his trousers for safe-keeping.

Oh and btw, to the girl on the barrier in the middle in front of me - it's no use turning round and swearing at me for pushing you when I'm getting pushed forwards by 1500 other people - I can't do much about it - don't take it so personally. If you can't handle being pushed, don't stand at the front :mad:

Also, Doll and the Kicks were great again - had a long chat with them afterwards, very friendly people (many thanks to Olivier again) :thumb:

In all, I've been a fan since day one of The Smiths back in the early eighties, and this was the first time I've seen him properly (apart from Swindon) - I found myself staring, open-mouthed in wonder at my hero, and found myself nearly in tears of joy during HSIN and Cemetary Gates. What a night :D

Just got home from a stunning evening in the company of Morrissey in Salisbury.
After the disappointment of Swindon, I was praying all would go well tonight.
I can safely report now that all did indeed go well - you would never think he was in hospital just over a week ago :)

Highlights for me were How Soon Is Now, Cemetary Gates, Irish Blood, English Heart and WDYFOFY. Moz looked good, was in good humour and sounded brilliant tonight - this was my second Morrissey gig if you include Swindon and he more than made up for that - constantly reaching into the crowd to touch hands and also made a bee-line for the brave crowd-surfer who launched towards the stage and shook his hand

It was packed at the front and made even worse by a few idiots who barged to the front for the final few songs - only there for the shirt throwing which, I must say, was absolutely ridiculous! A couple of girls on the barrier got it when it landed and quite rightly, tried to hide it as they had their prize. Cue the idiots, who launched into a frenzied tug-of-war with the girls and the shirt.
This carried on into the middle of the now emptying hall, tempers were fraying and people were crying - but the shirt still wouldn't seperate. It must have been a good ten minutes until it was decided - one of the "winners" of a scrap of material shoving it down his trousers for safe-keeping.

Oh and btw, to the girl on the barrier in the middle in front of me - it's no use turning round and swearing at me for pushing you when I'm getting pushed forwards by 1500 other people - I can't do much about it - don't take it so personally. If you can't handle being pushed, don't stand at the front :mad:

Also, Doll and the Kicks were great again - had a long chat with them afterwards, very friendly people (many thanks to Olivier again) :thumb:

In all, I've been a fan since day one of The Smiths back in the early eighties, and this was the first time I've seen him properly (apart from Swindon) - I found myself staring, open-mouthed in wonder at my hero, and found myself nearly in tears of joy during HSIN and Cemetary Gates. What a night :D

Oh, how nice! I love after-show posts like this one.

I've had people get angry at me for pushing too, because, you know, the thousands of people pushing in back of me had nothing to do with it.

Once, in Norfolk, VA, a woman was wearing his shirt and some young men pulled it off of her body leaving her standing there in her bra. D: I really can't get over the things people will do to others to get that shirt.

I thought it was a truly wonderful gig. Only my 2nd Moz experience but one to behold. Agree that he was full of life and a personal highlight for me was ‘Teenage Dad…’ which felt so much more poetic and earnest than on record and really seem to awaken Mozza for the rest of the set. Ranging from snarling, sneering guile to crooning under a spotlight, he was utterly imperious. DATK were wonderful and Doll was lovely when I had a quick chat after the set.

As a massive favour, would anyone be able to tell me what Morrissey said about Bournemouth after ‘Is It Really So Strange?’? It’s my hometown and I bloody well missed it! :(

I was there last night and he said "Home is, of course, Bournemouth".

It was a special moment for me having lived and worked there for 7 years. :)

Thank you so much. I thought I’d heard that but assumed I was hallucinating with excitement and it must’ve been ‘the South is, of course, Bournemouth’ or something related to the lyrics of IIRSS?. I’m excited just thinking about it now!

Morrissey, you never fail to blow me away!!! Last night was utterly fantastic. I was in smack bang in the middle, one from the front (tall bald guy). I have to apologise to anyone stood directly behind me, I think I obscured your view for most of the night as I am quite tall, especially sorry to the little lady behind me, I hope my height didn't ruin it for you too much!!!!!

Really love Moz's energy last night, the crowd was crazy up for it and Moz knew it, was dishing out the hand shakes of which one I was the recipient of, first time I've managed to touch the great man and I went weak at the knees.

Loved IIRSS, Cemetry Gates........Christ I just loved all of it, I could never complain about anything he does, he's just too bloody great!!!!

Was my last gig of the tour so I'm off to sulk and cry and wait for the God that is Moz to hit the road again soon.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bloody fantastic gig last night, even go as far as saying it was one of the best gigs I've ever been too(not including the Stranglers:guitar:).
Great venue, great sound and very appreciative audience. Was down the front in the middle and it was very hot and sweaty. Highlights were Cemetry Gates, ASK, TWIFOCB, ITMAAP and a truly stunning IBEH.
Got some great pics(can we post them on here).
Thought Doll & The Kicks were fantastic again(though enjoyed Swindon more) met them all afterwards and got a signed CD:) hope they go far as they deserve it! a damn fine bunch of people!

I'm after a favour if someone who went..

Any chance could you e-mail me a scan of the ticket as I lost mine:( and I keep all my tickets from over the years and have them in various frames around the house, will print of a copy of the said ticket and stick in frame.

Many thanks in advance if some kind soul can help out?:thumb:

Quality gig! Brilliant! superlatives abound!

My last Moz experiene for a while (perhaps ever?) so to go out like that was cracking. And o much better than the ALbert Hall where I also has standing tickets. In the mortuary.

He should only play venues of this size!

"Are you better?"
No

Absolutely fantastic gig, the crowd was in full voice and Morrissey and the gang did not disappoint. I was very impressed with Doll & the kicks, Doll in particular looked stunning. - In my opinion they are the best support in act in recent years. Was glad to see a wide range of tracks from Morrissey like many have mentioned not just a cluster of Ringleader and Refusal so props for that. I found the crowd wasn't as motley as previous times which only enhanced the experience.

P.s. Don't blame Stephen that the list didn't work, it was never going to anyway :lbf:

Final thought - was lucky enough to grab Jesse's hand next time Moz's ;) and Bob, well done on getting the bowl ;)

...This carried on into the middle of the now emptying hall, tempers were fraying and people were crying - but the shirt still wouldn't seperate. It must have been a good ten minutes until it was decided...

What a nice way to end an evening out! could these folk get any more poxy? :crazy:

Anyhow, while some were crying and fighting we opted to take the bizarre option of leaving the hall like most other folk, very happy and being nice to everybody. The day off work and drive down during the day was well worth it. Salisbury is an ace venue and i will now add it to my list of possible places as it was stress free and very easy to park etc. Cathederal was ace too.

More than made up for swindon, especially as this venue is half the size but twice as good. I'd not swap a full set at swindon for one in last nights venue and although it was sad swindon did not happen, it gave us the gift of last nights gig, as i'd have not got tickets otherwise.

If he plays both venues again i'll go salisbury for sure.

Absolutely ace. The man is a true entertainer, he could just stand and talk for an hour and it would be just fine. Glad to see him looking well.

Paul

Spike & I had a fantastic time, really really enjoyed the gig, and loved seeing Doll & the Kicks again, wish I'd got a cd to be honest. Had a drink and meal in the Kings Head beforehand, and felt it was a proper Wetherspoon pub as we saw a drunk and crying teenager in there at 5.30 on a Monday. Met a lovely couple outside in the (heated!!!) smoking area, wish I'd got their names! And randomly bumped into an old work friend at the same place! All in all a great time.

Was a pleasant way to spend a Monday night. I hadn't seen him live for a couple of years as I'm not too keen on the current band but I have no complaints from that performance. A bit too heavy on Smiths tracks and obvious crowd pleasers for my liking, but that's a matter of personal opinion. One of the rare occasions I have seen him outside of London, so the smaller more intimate venue made a pleasant change. Reminded me of watching local bands play in the village hall actually! The security outside the venue was slightly ott, not too sure why this was the case? That'll probably do me for a while now in terms of seeing Morrissey live. I've seen him so many times over the past 15 years that I think the novelty has worn off.

Agree about the shirt throwing and the front. Had some fella try to have a go at me for pushing him until I pointed out that there wasn't a great deal I could do about it and he was fine after that.

Seriously I know that some people would love to be able to stand at the front in neat little rows but in reality that really isn't going to happen so its probably best to accept what its like or stand somewhere else. Having said that I didn't think it was all that bad in Salisbury compared to some other places.

In terms of the shirt throwing, personally I always hope that he throws it on the opposite side to where I am. Not that I wouldn't mind having his shirt but I don't really want to get involved in fighting over it! Some of the people who do get this wild look in their eyes and look a bit scary!!

Highlights for me were How Soon Is Now,

Watching the Troxy show from earlier in the year tonight reminded me of the highlight of highlights - Matt hammering away on that big fcuk-off drum at the end of HSIN while Moz laid back on the floor with his hands behind his head. Superb :thumb:

Fcukin LOVE the heavy bass from Solomon at the end of I'm OK By Myself..........

anyone else........no?

In fact, LOVE the whole of IOKBM :thumb:

More credit to the band please - they are brilliant!!! :cool:

Great photo! Did this venue have a front 'pit' or was the whole thing general admission? I'm guessing the latter since op posted about the pushing and 1500 people. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom