Satellite radio or Internet radio

The Seeker of Good Songs

Internet radio seems to be an up and coming thing with wireless tabletop receivers coming on the market.
How will that affect satellite radio?
Does anyone subscribe to satellite radio?
I never thought much of it and the only people I ever thought it would be really good for was long haul truckers who would need to be constantly changing stations and hope they'd find something they could tune in to.

Satellite radio is not good anymore if you actually like music. When Sirius took over XM, they gutted the niche stations and now they suck.

I use slacker.com now.

Satellite radio is not good anymore if you actually like music. When Sirius took over XM, they gutted the niche stations and now they suck.

I use slacker.com now.

I agree. I had XM for a year or so and was a huge fan and faithful listener. Then when they merged with Sirius, it went down hill. Many of the stations that I adored (namely Fred 44 :tears:) were replaced with more commercialized versions of that format. For example Fred played everything from old Depeche Mode to Joy Division to THE SMITHS etc. Now with the "Classic Alternative" that is supposed to take the place of Fred, its basically like what U2 song are they going to play now that I could hear on any regular radio station with out paying for it?

I currently no longer have an account with Sirius/XM, but I have the unit for my car. If they changed their programing I would be likely to subscribe again.

I wish I could take advantage of internet radio at work but they block every possible website that has to do with any audio or video. So I guess I'm just screwed. :rolleyes:

The current gossip on Sirius/XM is speculation on whether they would continue to operate in bankruptcy, or someone would take over and sublease all their satellites and bandwidth.

It was the murder of Fred that did it. I complained, politely, I was given the email address of the FIrst Wave program director, he told me he thought First Wave was wonderful, one of their most popular stations, and he had no intention of making any changes. I cancelled the next day.

Check out Slacker, Skinner, it's free for a basic account. If you check it out, PM me and I'll send you my Fred clone station.

An iphone and Pandora or any of the internet radio tuner apps blows away XM. There's no way I'd pay any service $10 or more a month when I can listen to unlimited internet radio for free on a phone which works anywhere without any special extra devices I have to buy. The only problem with it is the fact that there are too many stations to choose from and you get kind of lost sometimes. (And the fact that as of now, BBC won't let you stream on your phone if you're outside the UK. Grrr....)

I hae XM and I hate the new channels. Fred way better and the punk channel plays rap and other annoying metal songs. XM's Fungus was the best. I 'm so dissapointed with it now. But my car cd player is brok so i still have it.

Tags
internet internet radio radio sattelite sattelite radio
Back
Top Bottom