Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud.(Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything)

charmer

Mark Wycislik-Wilson
Re: Possibly the oddest Autobiography article I've seen yet...

I have no clue how this daft sod has linked her grievances in this article with Morrissey. Truly bizarre.

Re: Possibly the oddest Autobiography article I've seen yet...

She is so spot on it is scary and I think this article of hers actually answers why so many even left Solo and stopped being fans of Morrissey. What she writes is of course facts cause Cameron and a host of other Morrissey fans are now in fact in power and dictating other peoples lives. I also love the part about him being this metropolitan that could not care less about the people that made him who he is. The whole article is about not having any idols but doing things on your own and not sitting back adoring others and what they do.
It's been a long time, if it has ever happen before, that I have read something as true as what she wrote in this article.

Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud.(Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything).

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/19/bigmouth-morrissey-strikes-again
By Carole Cadwalladr.
Very strongly worded and harsh critique of Moz and I'm guessing most of us!
Possibly the oddest political rant on the back of Morrissey's raised profile ever.
I posted this as a separate thread as it is not specifically about Autobiography and more a huge dig at Moz and his Fans.
The whole tone is awful, abusive and generally insulting to fans.
Worth a read....I think!?
Regards,
FWD
Kudos to Charmer for posting similar... I originally put this link in the Autobiography section, but thought better of it. As I can't delete threads myself, I'm sure a kind soul can merge or fix repetition on the threads page. Cheers.

Last edited:
Re: Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud.(Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything

This same c*** will download the new Paul McCartney album and rave over a Beatle's ability to feign relevance.

Re: Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud.(Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything

This 'article' is completely nonsensical!

So, Morrissey is to blame for who his fans are and what they are doing now they are in their forties? David Cameron liking the Smiths has already been ridiculed by many and denounced by Johnny and Morrissey. Even so, what can they do about it? Well, they could rail against politicians, something I'm pretty sure Morrissey & Marr have a consistent track record of doing.

She writes that Morrissey's lyrics were once able to sum up the dissatisfaction of youth, asks young people to again 'rise up' against oppression but then says "eff you" Morrissey - has she not listened to Shame is the Name? I just love these commentators who start with "he has nothing to say about my life anymore"..."so glad I'm not young and into Morrissey, how foolish was I?"...

She says that the only people who still listen to Morrissey are under 40 or over 50 - leaving only ten years in your life when you don't listen to Morrissey?

The "Morrissey class", the "Morrissey generation" - where are her facts? Isn't she one herself? What exactly is she wanting Morrissey to do? To change lower the cost of rent or the gas bills? The Guardian once again using Morrissey's name as click-bait.

'Click bait' is my new favourite expression!
Well put.
Very poor journalism and a huge string of odd concepts / flight of ideas thrown out at us awful people.
I don't think I can live with the guilt! ;)
Regards,
FWD

"The Morrissey Class"

If only someone had told Marx and Trotsky about this distinct social class surely they would have rethought their world view.

"The Morrissey Class"

If only someone had told Marx and Trotsky about this distinct social class surely they would have rethought their world view.

The bourgeoisie by any other name would be the same.

This same c*** will download the new Paul McCartney album and rave over a Beatle's ability to feign relevance.

This.

Morrissey's book is as interesting to all of these writers as his opinions were when he was in The Smiths. He made a career some time ago of being Morrissey the public persona rather than Morrissey the pop star. He did many things that make sense if you consider that his point is more to be talked about than to sell records. People who have never heard his records all the way through hold passionate opinions of him.
This is personal to me because I discovered Morrissey through his interviews. I did not hear him on the radio and none of my friends had any Smiths. I am talking about 1986. Morrissey was fascinating then and he is fascinating now when he tells the truth. I am truly surprised at some of what he has said in his book. This is a shadow side to him in a way. He's never made any money on being interviewed but his interviews have always been very popular. Now he is selling us the public figure version of Morrissey. In selling a book instead of a musical product he has created a consumer product that showcases him in an area where he has never had a slump. His opinions are always interesting and controversial to friends, fans and people that can't stand him. Only fans will buy his record but people that buy books want to know about him whether they care about his latest album or not.
I thought the book would never come out but it appears to be a big triumph for him and I'm glad to see it. I've been pretty loyal to him since the start but i certainly did not agree with him that his last three records are his best. I admit I saw him as a fading light. But this shows he is still very well known and that people care about him whether they like him or not. They care about his opinions, and his opinions were what caused me to buy a Smiths cassette all those years ago. I would congratulate him if I could. It's a great time to be a Morrissey fan, again, and it shows you never can tell.

"And those people are still with us. In greater numbers than ever. It's the 40-plus cohort who have changed. Not all of them; there are plenty of struggling fortysomethings out there. But many of those who live in London or the south-east, which includes pretty much all MPs, who had the sort of jobs that enabled them to buy houses – when they were still homes for people to live in rather than an international asset – are as comfortably off, myopic and self-absorbed as Morrissey."

Tumblr_lm74ypXC1D1qii6tmo1_400.gif

What the f*** is this dopey Welsh tart on about? My 88 year old grandfather with Dementia makes more sense than this mad slag.

Carole Cadswallop you're a bore.

People don't like Morrissey. Yes we know. Carole doesn't like people who like Morrissey also. And, for some strange reason, a major national newspaper finds this worthy of publication. Why?

Re: Scathing article:Guardian: Morrissey You're a Fraud (Morrissey & his fans have ruined everything

For anyone who may be interested: www.pcc.org.uk/complaints/form.html !

Very silly to complain about Carole Cadwalladr's article.
Although I don't agree with her, she has a right to express her flawed opinion.

We know some journalists always criticise Morrissey whatever he does.

It's funny because writing for a national newspaper she is a part of establishment, but she thinks she isn't.

Last edited:

Very silly to complain about Carole Cadwalladr's article.
Although I don't agree with her, she has a right to express her flawed opinion.

No, it's the article that's spectacularly silly. Morrissey's fan are "running, and have ruined, everything", are they? They aren't at all affected by rent increases? It's not about having the right to express an opinion. According to the PCC code the press can't publish any "inaccurate, misleading or distorted information" which I would argue Codswallop is clearly doing in this ridiculous piece.

No, it's the article that's spectacularly silly. Morrissey's fan are "running, and have ruined, everything", are they? They aren't at all affected by rent increases? It's not about having the right to express an opinion. According to the PCC code the press can't publish any "inaccurate, misleading or distorted information" which I would argue Codswallop is clearly doing in this ridiculous piece.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Yes, just because Cameron openly endorses Morrissey, not all the people who like his work have the same status as Cameron.

I think that might not apply to opinion pieces. When it comes to op pieces I think hacks are forbidden to veer towards anything resembling hate speech which was what Julie Burchill was accused of earlier in the year.

Besides, if you believe the spoutings of Dave Cameron, notorious Smiths fan, she's half right. People who are running and ruining things are Smiths (Morrissey) fans but not all Smiths (Morrissey) fans are running and ruining things.

Tags
autobiography book news observer
Back
Top Bottom