Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre (Nov. 2, 2017) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Spent The Day In Bed / Speedway / When You Open Your Legs / Home Is A Question Mark / Istanbul / When Last I Spoke To Carol / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / The Bullfighter Dies / Jack The Ripper / Back On The Chain Gang / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Suedehead / Shoplifters Of The World Unite

Setlist provided by setlist.fm, corrections from an anonymous person (order not 100%)

Last edited:
Were here any stage interlopers ? I'm coming invert from the U.K. Tomorrow for the sf Masonic Hall gig. Hoping I'm not The only Brit in the audience ..... have seen about 5 Moz gigs before and excited to be doing so in the US ..... anyone beat security and pay homage on the stage or is that not done ?

I agree with ya g23.

The line change from Suedehead is awful - "You had to sneak into my room just to see the utter gloom."

And one of the worst examples was from Little Man What Now many moons ago:

From the poetic:

A star at 18
And then - suddenly gone
Down to a few lines
In the back page of a faded annual

to the uinspired:

A star at 18
And then - suddenly gone
Back to the mean, melancholy streets
That you came from
Yeah, that one really irritated me in what, 2000 was it? Like I said, if it's something goofy, like "To be Finnish would be a relief, to be Swedish- would be a relief" then I can have a laugh. But I don't get editing after the fact that reduces the language involved.

Just because the world has gotten increasingly stupider- no, um... More dumberer- no, that's not it... Less thinky! Yeah that's it! Just because the world is less thinky and hates big words now doesn't mean that Morrissey should pander to it. Nobody started listening to Morrissey because he's dumb and catchy. We have more than enough of that.

i find it even more heavyweight this way. the monosyllabic eat kill eat kill, for me at least, reflects the industrialized noise of the assembly belt that, like a neverending clock mechanism, is killing life at one second intervals in order to maximize the output. the lyrics support the song:s message even more dramatically namely the contrast between the beautiful, trusting life shred into pieces in and by an atrocious machinery plus the insatiable, dumb and infantile people crying "eat eat" and bestowing the food-providing momma surrogate with filial trust and love that will never be unsettled. the impact of the song is increased.
It completely fails to address the moral quandary of eating another sentient being in any meaningful way.
I will disagree with you unto the death. I've heard more than once from people actually at the shows on the way out of the venue- "Yeah, f*** Morrissey. I want to eat a burger now just to spite him" and variations there of.

I know fully well that cows are every bit as kind, smart, and affectionate as dogs, because at one point in my childhood, I actually lived on a Dairy Farm that was run by my mother's ex and his family. I felt it then, and I felt it more profoundly when I heard the line "It's death for no reason, and death for no reason is murder." The line about festively slicing a turkey didn't really do much to me. But the thought that we give no thought to murder and the reason for that murder in the name of providing for ourselves and our families struck me as profound.

Now I'm going to stop here, before someone decides there needs to be a thread titled "Meat is Murder- better before or after the lyric change?" This is a show thread after all.

I also liked his lyric change/adition in Berlin last month:
money money death death murder
animals fight to stay alive
they would do anything just to stay alive
money!

whatever . I'm just bored beyond tears of it now . the whole set actually . if he is still playing shows in five years time I bet the set will still consist of the same core 12- 15 songs he has played now for years.

I would gladly take all the other lyric changes if it meant he'd stop letting a f***ing session musician sing the climax of Speedway. That's truly one of the most unforgivable changes of the past few years.

Yeah, that one really irritated me in what, 2000 was it? Like I said, if it's something goofy, like "To be Finnish would be a relief, to be Swedish- would be a relief" then I can have a laugh. But I don't get editing after the fact that reduces the language involved.

Just because the world has gotten increasingly stupider- no, um... More dumberer- no, that's not it... Less thinky! Yeah that's it! Just because the world is less thinky and hates big words now doesn't mean that Morrissey should pander to it. Nobody started listening to Morrissey because he's dumb and catchy. We have more than enough of that.

Yep, the lyric change "Please, please, please let me have who I want" was godawful.

However, the goofy changes to Is It Really So Strange were a laff and a half :

"...and you can chin me and you can shin me and you can dislocate my shoulder but you won't change the way I feel..." (Milano, 1999)

"...and you can chin me and you can shin me and you can even skin me but you can't change the way I feel..." (Chile, 2000)

Regarding Morrissey's live lyrical changes: yes, they can be a bit hit & miss, but I did love, & have a good chuckle, when he sang “ham, lamb, kebab, spam, murder!” during MIM, in Birmingham in 2015. :)

Regarding Morrissey's live lyrical changes: yes, they can be a bit hit & miss, but I did love, & have a good chuckle, when he sang “ham, lamb, kebab, spam, murder!” during MIM, in Birmingham in 2015. :)

He's been doing this since "do you know how sausages die?"!

All you c***s love to complain.

Oh he’s gonna cancel
Oh we don’t like the lyric changes
Oh the set list is too short
Oh the set list is too long
Oh meat is murder is too gruesome

Please, for the sake of everyone. Stop coming to gigs. You aren’t welcome and people hate you. Entitled f***s. If you want the record. Listen to the record. If not, shut the f*** up and let everyone else enjoy something without you shitting all over it talking about the “glory days”

Hey. I KNOW what you mean. But, you are wrong in the last line. THE GLORY DAYS ARE NOW !

The band are fantastic and so is Morrissey.

Don't have regrets. Buy the album and listen to the band while you still can.

Seize the Day,

Hazard
x

Short, or long, I don’t care!
But where is it?! :rolleyes: :squiffy:
The Setlist, I mean!?

Setlist finally:
You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Spent the Day in Bed / Alma Matters / Speedway / When You Open Your Legs / Home Is a Question Mark / Istanbul / When Last I Spoke to Carol / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / The Bullfighter Dies / Jack the Ripper / Back on the Chain Gang / World Peace Is None of Your Business / My Love I'd Do Anything For You / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Suedehead / Shoplifters of the World Unite.

Regards,
FWD.

Edit: My Love, I'd Do Anything For You has just been added instead of All The Young People... listed previously.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/morrissey/2017/paramount-theatre-seattle-wa-5be36770.html

Last edited:

FWD.

Setlist finally:
You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Spent the Day in Bed / Alma Matters / Speedway / When You Open Your Legs / Home Is a Question Mark / Istanbul / When Last I Spoke to Carol / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / The Bullfighter Dies / Jack the Ripper / Back on the Chain Gang / World Peace Is None of Your Business / All the Young People Must Fall in Love / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Suedehead / Shoplifters of the World Unite.

Regards,
FWD.

Was My Love I'd Do Anything For You played as mentioned in the thread? Setlist FM disagrees with you. SetlistFM is normally accurate(ish) - this may need revision or people heard something not played!?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/morrissey/2017/paramount-theatre-seattle-wa-5be36770.html

All the young people was replaced with My love and Alma Maters was played second.

All the young people was replaced with My love and Alma Maters was played second.
Thank you, it was just changed on setlist to reflect that, although Alma remains 5th.
Regards,
FWD.

Gig review via Seattle Times:
By Charles R. Cross.

Morrissey at Seattle’s Paramount Theatre: Back on the chain gang, and soapbox.

Morrissey, at the Paramount Theatre on Thursday night, scored with fine vocals on covers but missed the mark badly with a comment linking the New York City “animal” terrorist with animal rights.

dae981b0-bf65-11e7-afbd-820950101c1b-667x419.jpg

6fed44dc-bf7e-11e7-afbd-820950101c1b-682x1024.jpg

"If you ever wondered what Morrissey first thought of Seattle when he visited in the ’80s, he told us at his Paramount concert Thursday.

“I was a small little skinny thing, as I am now,” he joked of that ’80s-era visit with his legendary band The Smiths. The crowd laughed at his self-deprecation, but in truth the vegan singer looked and sounded great at 58.

Seattle, to Morrissey, was all “record stores and bookshops.” You might think there was more to it, he said, but, alas, there was not.

That trip was “pleasant” for the notoriously cranky Morrissey, which may be why he always seems upbeat here, as he was Thursday.

His 90-minute set sampled from Smiths gems, solo hits and a few covers. It was classic Morrissey, which means you heard dreamy vocals when he sang, and cattiness when he spoke.

“You sound very lusty,” he said. “Let’s see where that takes us.” This is typical, but perhaps in poor taste.

Worse was when he talked about what he called “the shooting in New York” (actually it was a truck attack, not a shooting, that killed eight people). He cited President Donald Trump’s comment that the attacker was an “animal,” and linked that with the idea that eating animals is murder, playing “Meat is Murder.” It was a remarkable overreach, and if anything hurt his cause more than helped it.
His musical taste was more on the mark. He began with a cover of the Elvis Presley hit “You’ll be Gone.” With the top three buttons of his shirt open, Morrissey became Elvis for a moment.

“Every Day is Like Sunday” was particularly sweet, ending the set. Only a handful of Smiths songs were played, but by including “I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish,” which he’d done only once before in concert, the die-hards had something to savor.

As for the rest, the concert’s high point was “Back on the Chain Gang.” Few singers ever cover this song so identified with the Pretenders, but Morrissey’s ego, and his friendship with Chrissie Hynde, gave him license. His dedication to Hynde (“for Chrissie from Akron”) was the most moving thing he said onstage.

And his gorgeous vocals on the song, sung perfectly, were lovely. It was the prettiest, and the least controversial, thing that came out of his mouth all night."

'Notoriously cranky' - really!? :)
Regards,
FWD.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entert...t-theatre-back-on-the-chain-gang-and-soapbox/

Half the crowd left during the ridiculous 10 minutes of slaughter and police murder videos. Other than that, great night. f*** that other shit tho.
As long as Morrissey is a vegetarian he will never stop doing the meat is murder routine. which means forever

Gig review via Seattle Times:
By Charles R. Cross.

Morrissey at Seattle’s Paramount Theatre: Back on the chain gang, and soapbox.

Morrissey, at the Paramount Theatre on Thursday night, scored with fine vocals on covers but missed the mark badly with a comment linking the New York City “animal” terrorist with animal rights.

View attachment 42662
View attachment 42663

"If you ever wondered what Morrissey first thought of Seattle when he visited in the ’80s, he told us at his Paramount concert Thursday.

“I was a small little skinny thing, as I am now,” he joked of that ’80s-era visit with his legendary band The Smiths. The crowd laughed at his self-deprecation, but in truth the vegan singer looked and sounded great at 58.

Seattle, to Morrissey, was all “record stores and bookshops.” You might think there was more to it, he said, but, alas, there was not.

That trip was “pleasant” for the notoriously cranky Morrissey, which may be why he always seems upbeat here, as he was Thursday.

His 90-minute set sampled from Smiths gems, solo hits and a few covers. It was classic Morrissey, which means you heard dreamy vocals when he sang, and cattiness when he spoke.

“You sound very lusty,” he said. “Let’s see where that takes us.” This is typical, but perhaps in poor taste.

Worse was when he talked about what he called “the shooting in New York” (actually it was a truck attack, not a shooting, that killed eight people). He cited President Donald Trump’s comment that the attacker was an “animal,” and linked that with the idea that eating animals is murder, playing “Meat is Murder.” It was a remarkable overreach, and if anything hurt his cause more than helped it.
His musical taste was more on the mark. He began with a cover of the Elvis Presley hit “You’ll be Gone.” With the top three buttons of his shirt open, Morrissey became Elvis for a moment.

“Every Day is Like Sunday” was particularly sweet, ending the set. Only a handful of Smiths songs were played, but by including “I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish,” which he’d done only once before in concert, the die-hards had something to savor.

As for the rest, the concert’s high point was “Back on the Chain Gang.” Few singers ever cover this song so identified with the Pretenders, but Morrissey’s ego, and his friendship with Chrissie Hynde, gave him license. His dedication to Hynde (“for Chrissie from Akron”) was the most moving thing he said onstage.

And his gorgeous vocals on the song, sung perfectly, were lovely. It was the prettiest, and the least controversial, thing that came out of his mouth all night."

'Notoriously cranky' - really!? :)
Regards,
FWD.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entert...t-theatre-back-on-the-chain-gang-and-soapbox/

'killed eight people). He cited President Donald Trump’s comment that the attacker was an “animal,” and linked that '

i can see M being more upset that trump would describe the terrorist as 'animal' because in reality has an animal ever committed a act of terrorism on people.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom