seven ages of rock bbc2

I've just seen an ad for a programme comig soon called the seven ages of rock, so I did a bbc search & get this wee bumph

The Seven Ages Of Rock

Rock is the music that refuses to go away. It is now enjoying a renaissance via bands such as Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand, who are reviving the sound of guitar-based rock.

With incredible exclusive access and interviews and rare performance archive, The Seven Ages Of Rock charts the definitive history of the emergence and rebirth of rock as a global force.

Made by the team which produced the critically acclaimed and award-winning Soul Deep and Lost Highway, the series explores seven eras of musicians who have shaped rock.

The journey goes from the blues-based guitar rock of Jimi Hendrix> to Oasis and beyond, stopping en route to delve into progressive rock, punk, heavy metal, stadium, grunge and indie.

Anyhoo, in the ad it flashed through & I'm sure it said The Smiths somewhere in it?

love

Grim

There’s an article about this in the Times Knowledge magazine- apparently,

‘Seven Ages brings the story of British rock up to date in its final extended episode by tracing a line from the Smiths, via Blur and Oasis, to the Libertines and Arctic Monkeys.’

And Johnny Marr has been interviewed for it. The whole series looks like it’ll be pretty interesting actually, starts on the 19th.

Just seen the ad on BBC 2

Blinkin' Flip, with the emphasis on blinkin', i KNEW to watch out for The Smiths and still almost missed them! nevertheless i realise this is fantastic promotion by the Beeb, all that subliminal advertising should Guarantee a 60 million plus viewership for aforementiond prog.

Theres a method in the madness,

Reg

I was listening to Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie last night and they reviewed this series. Maconie saw a preview of the British Indie episode and it does feature The Smiths. He said it contained some fantastic footage that he'd never seen before including:
Morrissey and Marr dancing together on French TV, backstage footage of the band on their first TOTP appearance and film of them sneaking fans into a venue at an early gig.
I must point out that I don't know whether this footage has actually never been seen or just that Stuart Maconie has never seen it.
The series starts on Saturday on BBC2 and this particular episode is on a few weeks after that.

Morrissey and Marr dancing together "Barbarism Begins At Home" on French TV footage is on youtube.

Backstage footage of the first TOTP appearance and film of them sneaking fans into a venue sound worth watching.

I was listening to Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie last night and they reviewed this series. Maconie saw a preview of the British Indie episode and it does feature The Smiths. He said it contained some fantastic footage QUOTE]

Sarah

I caught the back end of this, too. They were very enthusiastic about it weren't they? I s'pose you'd expect nothing less from those 2 but even Noddy Holder (from 70s glam-pop group, Slade) sounded keen.

Sounds good but I don't watch much TV these days so don't know if I'll get around to watching it or not.

BTW - did you get my PM from yesterday?

Looks good but 9pm on a Saturday!?! Since the dawn of the DVD player and lack of Sky PLus I guess I'll have to watch it on the computer

I caught the back end of this, too. They were very enthusiastic about it weren't they? I s'pose you'd expect nothing less from those 2 but even Noddy Holder (from 70s glam-pop group, Slade) sounded keen.

Sounds good but I don't watch much TV these days so don't know if I'll get around to watching it or not.

BTW - did you get my PM from yesterday?

It does sound very good and the BBC do this sort of thing very well.
No I didn't get a pm

No I didn't get a pm

They may well do these kind of things very well bu they can't keep hold of Neighbours...... f***ing elitist BBC wan*ers.

No I didn't get a pm

Don't understand what's going on with the PMs.

OK - I've tried again, but basically The Smyths are playing Bradford on Friday 6 July.

Uncle Skinny's going and I work in Bradford so will be with a few from work - a mixed crowd so it could be fun.

Thought you might want to go along.

I was going to go to the one at The Irish centre but can easily get to Bradford instead if that's where everyone else is going.

I was going to go to the one at The Irish centre but can easily get to Bradford instead if that's where everyone else is going.

Great - let's see if we dare speak to each other this time!

I'll put a thread in the Events section in a couple of weeks to see who else is going, if you like.

Back
Top Bottom