SOMETHING IS SQUEEZING MY SKULL: Full Lyrics

ok after listneing to it again, it's definetly "Peel it back and bite me" and you're right about Modern life

i agree. i didn't catch it the first few times but i'm certain it's "peel it back and bite me"

EDIT: i think it's "thank you, drop dead" in the first verse.

I'm doing very well
I can blackout the present and the past now
I know by now you think I should have straightened myself out
Thank you, drop dead.

Isn't that the first verse?

God, if those are the real lyrics, then that's just about the darkest thing I've heard anyone sing in a long time.

It reminds me of the last London Palladium show, at band introduction time. He announced that he'd like to thank someone very special, who overcame tremendous personal obstacles to triumph in the end (I'm paraphrasing). Then he kissed his own hands.

Assuming that he's singing his life, he's still at the edge, apparently. At least his critics should realize that he's not kidding around.

I'm really liking this song a lot, from one or two fuzzy youtube listens.

:guitar:

i'd of loved to see him kiss his own hands :) :)

has he ever been on any medications like those? i've never heard of anything to that effect and it would deeply surprise me if he had.

"
Thank you, drop dead.
"

possibly to his "fans" who consistently get absolutely raged when he gets sick and cancelled? probably not. but just a thought :)

has he ever been on any medications like those? i've never heard of anything to that effect and it would deeply surprise me if he had.

I would say yes just based on him stating he's dealt with clinical depression. Some people are lucky in finding the right med right off the bat, most aren't though.

i agree. i didn't catch it the first few times but i'm certain it's "peel it back and bite me"

EDIT: i think it's "thank you, drop dead" in the first verse.

Yes, I think it's "thank you, drop dead" as well.

I couldn't figure out what he was singing after "the motion of taxis excites me", and I've heard it several times live. It seems like the 2nd (rhyming) verse is something something INVITE ME. To me that makes sense with the whole thing about taxis, being excited. Or maybe I just want to envision a come-on, some happiness or pleasure in a rather bleak song.

The paradoxical thing is that anti-depressants and anxiolytics tend to quash the libido. Sometimes the depression and anxiety itself dampens the libido already. I've always thought Moz was talking about impotence and the way depression can just blot out physical desire/pleasure in this couplet:
"And Sorrow's native son
He will not rise/smile for anyone"

Then again, lithium is used mainly as a mood stabiliser for manic depressives. If in a manic phase, the speaker might be, uh, feeling excessively frisky.

Someone else I talked to thought he heard "BITE ME". How rude, Mozza! :p

Morrissey is depressed. It's a cliché how depressed he is. But his depression is clinical and he's spent a lot of time on the psychiatrist's couch and on medication. Valium made him happier, but he was wary of side effects. These days he eschews medication and therapy. Instead, he accepts his depression as a part of his artistry. When filling in a questionnaire for a British newspaper recently, he paused over the question When were you happiest? before answering May 21, 1959. Fans can correctly identify that date as the day before he was born. And when I ask him where he was happiest, he answers earnestly, "I've got no idea. That place is somewhere on the horizon, I assume. I hope."

taken from details 94

and another comment

"To admit that I've suffered from depression for years and years is socially unacceptable and no-one wants to hear about it. So I feel that if anything I've remained true to myself and although I get criticised continually, it's all floss. No-one can ever point to anything truly damaging that I've ever done or concretely suggest that I've simply been in it for the money, just as no-one could possibly give any truth to the racist arguments of last year which I actually don't want to keep bringing up."

taken from Q 94

Yes, I think it's "thank you, drop dead" as well.

The paradoxical thing is that anti-depressants and anxiolytics tend to quash the libido. Sometimes the depression and anxiety itself dampens the libido already. I've always thought Moz was talking about impotence and the way depression can just blot out physical desire/pleasure in this couplet:
"And Sorrow's native son
He will not rise/smile for anyone"

Then again, lithium is used mainly as a mood stabiliser for manic depressives. If in a manic phase, the speaker might be, uh, feeling excessively frisky.

Someone else I talked to thought he heard "BITE ME". How rude, Mozza! :p

that's an interesting take on it.
i thought that he may have been recommended some drugs to take, but refused and this song could be about that?

i've never though about
"And Sorrow's native son
He will not rise/smile for anyone" in that way.

then again, i'm terrible at deeply interpreting songs :confused:

I would say yes just based on him stating he's dealt with clinical depression. Some people are lucky in finding the right med right off the bat, most aren't though.

my apologies for the multiple posts, i don't know how to multiple quote an entry...

could this be a possible explanation as to why he pretty much disappeared for a while between Maladjusted and Quarry?

i'f i'm terribly wrong, don't be too harsh :D

my apologies for the multiple posts, i don't know how to multiple quote an entry...

could this be a possible explanation as to why he pretty much disappeared for a while between Maladjusted and Quarry?

i'f i'm terribly wrong, don't be too harsh :D

you click multi under each comment you wish to quote then when finished or your at the last one just click quote.
:)

I really hate to bring this up, but my husband and I were discussing it the other day:

Anti-depressant medication tends to flat-line creativity, as well as libido. The highs and lows cancel out, and you are left a bit narcotized, which is a terrible state to be in creatively. It's my priviledge to have several artistically depressed friends, and they hate their medications. Most of them have kicked, and prefer to live with the pain, but retain their edge. One or two have found the right mix, but that is rare.

I've wondered about Ringleader, how it's a bit flat, and I thought that it sounded like Moz was on some kind of anti-depressants. This is just personal conjecture, of course.

It's a terrible bind to be in, and I would not want to have to chose between being fully alive, functioning and in pain, or feeling very little at all.

I'm always a bit worried about him. Now, with his repeated vocal problems, I really hope he's got things together.

:(

that's an interesting take on it.
i thought that he may have been recommended some drugs to take, but refused and this song could be about that?

i've never though about
"And Sorrow's native son
He will not rise/smile for anyone" in that way.

then again, i'm terrible at deeply interpreting songs :confused:

Well, there's really no definitive interpretation. And that's the beauty of it all.

As far as the medications listed in this song, I don't think we should take Mozzer's lyrics as strictly autobiographical even though he has admitted to being treated with drugs for clinical depression (with unsatisfactory results). For example, when he sings "Working girls like me", it doesn't mean he's had a sex change surgical procedure and turned into a prostitute...although I wouldn't rule it out! :p

Because of my current career, I'm familiar with the drugs listed in the song, but I've been stymied about HRT. I've always known it "hormone replacement therapy". It's not a conventional component of pharmaceutical therapy for depression. It does not fit in with the list of drugs often used in the treatment of depression and anxiety, whereas ETC (electroconvulsive therapy) does have a history (mainly during the 1950s) in the treatment of depression. Habit Retraining Tx sounds more likely, but I thought the whole point was that Moz/the speaker of the song does not want more drugs (and habit retraining doesn't seem like a pharmaceutical Tx).

I was gonna ask Moz about HRT in this song (as well as compliment him on this fine pop song) if I got the mic again, but I never expect a straight answer anymore. I'm just there to supply him with the occasion for witty put-downs. :o

Last edited:
I hear it as

"thank you, drop dead"

"peel it back and bite me"
which could mean the tablet in the packet - or something else

Also at the end something unclear

"for 20 years you said you would...
"they'll ......you right....."???

Also, above the squeels from the crowd I think there are screams and groans on the backing track to give it a madhouse atmosphere.

I've visited a close relative and friend on closed (locked) hospital wards. Those who struggle to live through the fog of medication, and those who try to keep clear of it.
Stephen Fry did a good programme on the TV recently about bipolar disorder, which he suffers.

Interesting..Morrissey can still be counted on to address difficult and personal subjects in his work.

Not sure if I like the melody. Will listen again..

Also, above the squeels from the crowd I think there are screams and groans on the backing track to give it a madhouse atmosphere.

Interesting..Morrissey can still be counted on to address difficult and personal subjects in his work.

Really???

I like it more and more - relevant, universal, tragic, and you can thrash to it.

Maybe it is just the crowd.:o

On the other bootleg he says "you swore you would not give me more" on one of the repeats.
I think he also says "you swine" .Good to vary on the theme. I love all the changes sung live..

It really isn't :rolleyes:

I appreciate he's had vocal problems recently, but the shrill sound when he stretches to the highest note on "skull" is painful to listen to. The song has no melody, he's just angrily spitting the lyrics out against a thrash of instruments and asking for people to "drop dead". Very disappointing by Morrissey standards. It makes "That's How People Grow Up" look like a classic. I hope the studio version is either a thousand times better, or buried on a B-side.

i think it may just be interference or distortion from the instruments.

...interesting though, but i think the song is too thrashy to have wails and screams backing it.

i love it though. possibly more than All You Need is Me

Aren't HRT's used as a therapy for treating the early stages of HIV?

Aren't HRT's used as a therapy for treating the early stages of HIV?

I don't think so. These are drugs for hormonal imbalance. For HIV treatment you need to take anti-viral drugs, do decrease the virus level in your system and avoid the destruction of the immune system as long as possible.:)

I'm doing very well
I can blackout the present and the past now
Thank you, drop dead.

what can I say? :eek: I LOVE IT!:D:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom