Morrissey Central "SOON / 2020 new releases" (September 6, 2020)

SouthPaw_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg
YATQ_Vinyl_Gatefold.jpg

Both albums issued on BMG Label for the first time, including inner booklets. LP and CD formats.

Both JPGs describe the images as 'gatefold'.
Regards,
FWD.

I agree with most of this, but Fantastic Bird is not from the Southpaw sessions. This misconception is the result some of Morrissey's bizarre revisionism.
You learn a bit every day. I thought it was since it made part of the 2009 reissue. Just read Simon Goddard's explanation. Bizarre indeed why he chose it being from 1992.

Southpaw Grammar is up there as one of my favourite Moz albums. It's the most complete and contained work of art that Moz has produced. It could almost be a film soundtrack. It takes you as the listener into its own world in a really powerful and submersive way.
Plus 1995 was just a great year to be young and alive. The performance on Jools Holland to promote the album with Pulp there to promote 'Different Class' says it all about 1995.

@ACTON
There is hope for you regarding the additional albums. It seems that Southpaw and YATQ are to be first of a bigger bunch. Here is the original article from a couple of months back:

"The announcement also revealed BMG will be re-issuing remasters of several Morrissey records next year. The planned re-releases - 'Southpaw Grammar', 'Maladjusted', 'You Are The Quarry', 'Ringleader of the Tormentors', 'Years of Refusal' and 'Live at the Hollywood Bowl' - will all get updated artwork and sleeve notes".

Perhaps they mean “Live at Earls Court” and made a mistake?

You learn a bit every day. I thought it was since it made part of the 2009 reissue. Just read Simon Goddard's explanation. Bizarre indeed why he chose it being from 1992.
Yup, it’s an old mistake at this point. Guess no one was around to correct him back in 2009.

I would then swop Fantastic Bird with Sunny. Always like it and it's from Southpaw's era.
Sunny is Vauxhall/Boxers era, I think, though released later.

Actually, embroiling Boxers into a new release of Southpaw would make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can each rerelease have a more shit sleeve than the last release? I guess these shall sell about 250 copies each and a top 5 in the (vinyl) charts. Good lord.

World Peace was where he lost the plot. There are some truly magnificent songs, but he left most of the best ones off the album and soured the deal with Harvest when his voice was better than ever. Autobiography was an alarming insight into his personality, the less said about List of the Lost the better. Low In High School probably his worst ever, most recent album was good but he’s toxic forever now. I still buy everything and watch him live - I just can’t tell anyone about it

How can each rerelease have a more shit sleeve than the last release? I guess these shall sell about 250 copies each and a top 5 in the (vinyl) charts. Good lord.
These won’t be the sleeves. The actual sleeves will be immaculate and irresistible works of art which will justify (in my case) owning a fourth copy of each album.

I’ve ring-fenced fifty quid just this afternoon.

Sunny is Vauxhall/Boxers era, I think, though released later.

Actually, embroiling Boxers into a new release of Southpaw would make sense.
Would it? I always look at Sunny and Boxers as the bittersweet farewell of the Vauxhall era, but not necessarily as an introduction to Southpaw.

Would it? I always look at Sunny and Boxers as the bittersweet farewell of the Vauxhall era, but not necessarily as an introduction to Southpaw.
It’s a great EP and it tends to be overlooked. The Boxers tour, whilst effectively a Vauxhall showcase, introduced the pugilist aesthetic. Have-a-go-Merchant would’ve sat very well on Southpaw I think.

It’s a great EP and it tends to be overlooked. The Boxers tour, whilst effectively a Vauxhall showcase, introduced the pugilist aesthetic. Have-a-go-Merchant would’ve sat very well on Southpaw I think.
Am I wrong by saying that Moz performed Sunny @Jools Holland in 1995 when promoting Southpaw Grammar?

Am I wrong by saying that Moz performed Sunny @Jools Holland in 1995 when promoting Southpaw Grammar?
Yes he did, it was released as a single about the same time. But I’m sure the recording was from earlier. Southpaw was on RCA, but Sunny was still on Parlaphone.

I’m guessing his old label saw more opportunity than obstacle, and seized the opportunity presented by the Southpaw promotion (effectively free publicity for them)?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom