Southpaw Grammar/Maladjusted reissues

They could release the whole Miraval sessions on disc 2. It's most of the album in acoustic form, minus a few songs, but including a few unreleased titles such as "Honey You Know Where To Find Me" and "You Should Have Been Nice To Me". With Disc 1 remaining untouched of course.

This was considered at some point by the label, but Morrissey didn't want to do it. Which is unfortunate because I think most of the fans still resisting Southpaw Grammar would finally give in to it if they heard the Miraval sessions. They're the Yin to the regular albums' Yang, or vice versa.

I think you're absolutely right, Stephane. I suspect I would adore the Miraval sessions. I think "Honey, You Know Where To Find Me" is great. Dammit, Mozzer - take the easy way and give in!

They could release the whole Miraval sessions on disc 2. It's most of the album in acoustic form, minus a few songs, but including a few unreleased titles such as "Honey You Know Where To Find Me" and "You Should Have Been Nice To Me". With Disc 1 remaining untouched of course.

This was considered at some point by the label, but Morrissey didn't want to do it. Which is unfortunate because I think most of the fans still resisting Southpaw Grammar would finally give in to it if they heard the Miraval sessions. They're the Yin to the regular albums' Yang, or vice versa.

Stephane

Thanks for the clarification, Stephane. This clears up all the confusion from years of Boz and Alain's demos being circulated as "Miraval sessions" when, in actuality, the true Miraval sessions were an entirely (almost) unheard batch of songs.

Stephane, do you know if Woodie Taylor is the drummer for the Miraval sessions? Rogan alludes to this in his "The Albums" book and the style on Reader Meet Author does not sound like Spencer.

Cheers,

Jamie

[FONT=Georgia, Times]PRE-ORDER: SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE February 3, 2009

TRACK LISTING

1. The Boy Racer
2. Do Your Best and Don't Worry
3. Reader Meet Author
4. Honey, You Know Where to Find Me *
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Southpaw
7. Best Friend on the Payroll
8. Fantastic Bird *
9. The Operation
10. The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils
11. You Should Have Been Nice to Me *
12. Nobody Loves Us

* = PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED BONUS TRACK

[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times]Price:$5.99[/FONT]

at: http://idealcopy.american-data.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=081227987978

TRACK LISTING

1. The Boy Racer
3. Reader Meet Author
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Southpaw
8. Fantastic Bird *
9. The Operation
12. Nobody Loves Us

at: http://idealcopy.american-data.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=081227987978

Why on earth is it so cheap?!?

Seriously, why did they leave "You Must Please Remember" off it? Would it have been so hard to include that track as well? Not that it's a classic or anything, but this is just so sloppy. I swear, WE should be in charge of putting together re-releases and compilations. At least they'd make sense that way!

TRACK LISTING

1. The Boy Racer
3. Reader Meet Author
5. Dagenham Dave
6. Southpaw
8. Fantastic Bird *
9. The Operation
12. Nobody Loves Us

the price can't be correct and also the release date is wrong. Is scheduled for March 2, 2009

the price can't be correct and also the release date is wrong. Is scheduled for March 2, 2009

That's the price also for the one at the Amazon link that is listed above.

http://www.amazon.com/Southpaw-Gram...UTF8&coliid=I3DHVL5PX9X61P&colid=R8A3FXRRNH9U

but they don't show bonus tracks but it is listed as a Feb 3, 2009 date

• Audio CD (February 3, 2009)
  • Original Release Date: August 28, 1995
  • Number of Discs: 1
  • Label: Rhino Flashback
  • ASIN: B001O54NJ4

Track Listings

1. The Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils 2. Reader Meet Author 3. The Boy Racer 4. The Operation 5. Dagenham Dave 6. Do Your Best and Don't Worry 7. Best Friend on the Payroll 8. Southpaw

the note at the idealcopy link says: [FONT=Georgia, Times]We will activate this product once we confirm it's the Revised/Remastered Version with Bonus Tracks and not a straight reissue.[/FONT]

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Stephane

Why, why, why??? An acoustic version would add another dimension to the music and would be absolutely lovely to hear with Morrissey's amazing voice. It's as if he insists that Southpaw remain his "rock" album.

I also noticed the tracklisting is re-ordered. I find that interesting. Aren't most reissues typically released with the original tracklisting and the bonus songs added onto the end? It's as if he wants a mulligan and a chance to release Southpaw the right way this time.

I think it probably will be released worldwide, it's just that the US release has a different date for whatever reason and therefore the pre-order link for the US is up before any others. The price is because it's being released on Rhino's Flashback label and all Flashback releases are cheap like that. It's being handled by Rhino in the US because, if you'll recall, SG was released on Sire/Reprise in the US instead of RCA like it was in other countries.

Thanks for the clarification, Stephane. This clears up all the confusion from years of Boz and Alain's demos being circulated as "Miraval sessions" when, in actuality, the true Miraval sessions were an entirely (almost) unheard batch of songs.

Not really. The Miraval sessions feature most of the material that made it onto Southpaw Grammar, including a few songs that didn't make it. It's just that their arrangement sounded more like Vauxhall & I and not as 'rocking' as the re-recordings that became SG.

Stephane

I think an extra Miravel CD would have been a great idea. I find it odd that the unreleased songs are likely to be acoustic-style demos, like Honey. Surely that will ruin the whole concept of Southpaw as a heavy-sounding album when included in the main track-listing? I fear they may jar with the other tracks and sound out of place - unless there are other more fully realised versions of them out there, but that seems unlikely.

Not really. The Miraval sessions feature most of the material that made it onto Southpaw Grammar, including a few songs that didn't make it. It's just that their arrangement sounded more like Vauxhall & I and not as 'rocking' as the re-recordings that became SG.

Stephane

I should clarify: when I obtained Alain's demos for The Boy Racer, Dagenham Dave, and Nobody Loves Us, as well as Boz's demo for Reader Meet Author and the two "Untitled Instrumentals," they were then being touted as the Miraval sessions, which was inaccurate - they were true demos that only featured either Alain or Boz and their drum machines. The alternate, acoustic Reader Meet Author is obviously a true Miraval session.

If they originally opted to release this as a second disc on the reissue and Morrissey didn't consent, I think this should be considered another lost opportunity.

Cheers,
Jamie

I'd also love to see the complete acoustic session released on a bonus disc. I like the acoustic version of Reader Meets Author a lot more than the version that ended up on the album.

Southpaw has always been the ugly stepchild in my Morrissey collection, but an acoustic version could make me fall in love with it.

I'm looking forward to both these reissues. Two great, very underrated albums. The only think I dislike about Maladjusted is the artwork. Southpaw is just perfect.

Tags
linernotes southpaw
Back
Top Bottom