Starting to collect

Hello. I am just now starting to collect a Morrissey vinyl collection. I already have his full discography on cd, just want it in vinyl too. But I have found that I could get a single in 7" and 12". For collecting purposes, what would be better to buy, the 7" or the 12"? Thank you.

Hello. I am just now starting to collect a Morrissey vinyl collection. I already have his full discography on cd, just want it in vinyl too. But I have found that I could get a single in 7" and 12". For collecting purposes, what would be better to buy, the 7" or the 12"? Thank you.

There’s some nice 12” Moz singles, I like the Hold On To Your Friends 12” gatefold, tomorrow & We hate it when purple vinyls. The 3x island labels are nice too. As for the 7” singles, I like Sunny, the boy racer, Dagenham Dave etc, them mid 90’s singles. (Always liked the certain people I know sleeve too, available on 7 & 12)

If you are starting to buy vinyl,be prepare to pay very high prices for vinyl albuns ,if you prefer older versions.Southpaw Grammar,Ringleaders of the Tormentors,You are the Quarry,Maladjusted and many more,are the best example.
When i started to collect ,i also buy cds,then vinyl ,then all the versions of all countries.Lucky i bought many Lps mentioned in fair price,others not.I also bought to ordinaryboy 86.
So buy all you can afford and let us know what you purchase,Good luck

Last edited:
Also, be careful as it is much like crack - a bit moreish. :)
I did the bulk of my collecting/buying 'as it happened' which obviously made life easier, but...
It can become overwhelming.
I scaled back most of my (non Morrissey) collecting as soon as Japanese 3" CD singles (with all important adapter), German maxi singles, DAT tapes and a whole array of oddities saturated the market on top of already huge variants of pressings.
So, set yourself realistic goals that suit your budget and mindset.
If you are a completist, then you have a huge task ahead - colour variations, font variations/positioning, promo deviations & variations, stickers/no stickers, mispresses, 10+ versions from different countries et al... it became financially unviable to keep collecting loads of artists when this was the case.
Coupled with dodgy sellers, misinformation, not as described etc...
It all depends on how much importance you place on having ALL of something and how attainable that is as time ticks on.
Buying someone's entire collection would mitigate some of that, but obviously would not be cheap.
Try getting the basic UK set of releases (7s & 12s) and the possibly branch out with interesting versions of the things you already have and see where it takes you.
Best of luck.
Regards,
FWD

Last edited:
Thanks a lot to the both of you. I am definitely NOT a completist. (right now) I am just looking at getting the base collection. (studio recordings singles, live albums, (some)) I will take what you both said into consideration when I am shopping. Thanks.

Start with LIhS 7”S?

Also be on the lookout for the 1988 Suedehead to 1995 Have A Go Merchant vinyl promos. They made different sleeves for all the singles that came out those years. Most notably hard ones to find and most expensive in today's market are Hold On To Your Friends, Our Frank, Have A Go, Love Life , Ignore Me, SPM29 Interesting Drug.. Those are always fun to get and if you see one at a price you like get it. Here is my 88 to 95 promos.. I tried to add a fb link to lots of my collection by no go..

Attachments

• 179316_1772179704940_1041078_n.jpg
    179316_1772179704940_1041078_n.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good luck with your collection, its fun...
Why is "You are the Quarry", so expensive on vinyl, was it a very ltd vinyl run?, this is the only LP of Moz/Smiths I only have on CD, dunno why it just turned out that way, circumstances at the time I guess

Last edited:
Good luck with your collection, its fun...
Why is "You are the Quarry", so expensive on vinyl, was it a very ltd vinyl run?, this is the only LP of Moz/Smiths I only have on CD, dunno why it just turned out that way, circumstances at the time I guess
Yes, YATQ is very expensive due for the limited edition. I ve mine :)

Tags
collecting new seven inch twelve inch
Back
Top Bottom