Stephen Street on Morrissey (Mojo 327, February 2021)

Stephen Street Feb 2021.jpg

Related Item:

He lives in Rochdale

I really didn't think that of all people, you are the one not getting the sarcasm..
How very dare you! Peter is the most intelligent human being to ever draw breath. He invented the colour blue, discovered tea, IS NOT RACIST, writes Morrissey themed crosswords, IS NOT OBSESSED WITH MORRISSEY, and wears nice socks. Leave him alone!

How very dare you! Peter is the most intelligent human being to ever draw breath. He invented the colour blue, discovered tea, IS NOT RACIST, writes Morrissey themed crosswords, IS NOT OBSESSED WITH MORRISSEY, and wears nice socks. Leave him alone!
He's certainly not as obsessed with Morrissey as you are with him.

Not that there's a strong chance to ever happen, I would rather see a Morrissey/Street re-collaboration than a Moz/Whyte one...and I think S.S. has a better shot this time around...this article is not by accident...my bet is that he has an album worth of tracks ready to go waiting for lyrics...

Not that there's a strong chance to ever happen, I would rather see a Morrissey/Street re-collaboration than a Moz/Whyte one...and I think S.S. has a better shot this time around...this article is not by accident...my bet is that he has an album worth of tracks ready to go waiting for lyrics...
Oh, that’s a big call Tony, an album to go.... I only hope your correct... it was interesting to read about the lady who said she seen moz at the dentist( if it’s true) so he’s been in Manchester since March? Either, as you say he’s been recording, or for tax reasons, or sorting out his mother’s estate.... or perhaps England is a safer place than America with the virus n shit ...

Stephen Street was the perfect pairing for Morrissey post Smiths. Street was being more than fair in what he was asking for back in 1989, but Morrissey was being a stubborn, difficult child and wouldn't hear of it. His loss, and his immediate output suffered greatly.

While I feel the Boorer/Whyte era was magical, I always think about what could have been had a Morrissey/Street partnership continued throughout the 90's.

It's clear from his words, that Stephen Street would love to work with Morrissey again. Frankly, this is exactly what Morrissey needs right now. Morrissey needs Street both as a producer, and a song writing partner. These are desperate times for Morrissey, especially being label-less yet again.

I've not been a fan of Morrissey's output in the last decade or so. Despite the occasional song that excites me (Staircase at the University comes to mind), the other songs strike a lifeless, stagnant, autopilot tone to my ears. His producer since WPINOYB, Joe Chiccarelli is awful and downright Morrissey cancer, he needs to go. I couldn't think of a better fit than Stephen Street heading into 2021. Someone needs to light a fire under Morrissey and Stephen Street is just the guy to do it.

Can you imagine a new Morrissey album produced by Stephen Street and packed with Street and Boorer compositions? I'd love to see Alain Whyte back as a songwriter too, but too much wishful thinking for one post.

Stephen Street is the hero we all need.

Many people say that though. Damon Albarn for example.

They think he's detached from reality because he lives in his Hollywood bubble and that causes him to make dodgy political statements about Britain, which he doesn't understand anymore. Many people also equate his time in America with what they feel is a decline in quality in his work.

The thing is, he sold his house in LA in 2005 I think, has been living in different places ever since and probably doesn't spend that much time in the states.

His move to LA was a big thing back then and that's why everyone remembers it and he doesn't talk much about his current place of residence. You would have to dig relatively deep to find statements about his home in Switzerland etc, so as far as the general public is concerned he's still living in America and America is always a good scapegoat 😉

(Over to you, Aztec.)
You don't hear much about his time living in Dublin. I walked by Moz a few times in the street but he was always with people. I settled for a nod and brief eye contact. No point inserting yourself and hassling people. (Still wish I had though).

Stephen Street was the perfect pairing for Morrissey post Smiths. Street was being more than fair in what he was asking for back in 1989, but Morrissey was being a stubborn, difficult child and wouldn't hear of it. His loss, and his immediate output suffered greatly.

While I feel the Boorer/Whyte era was magical, I always think about what could have been had a Morrissey/Street partnership continued throughout the 90's.

It's clear from his words, that Stephen Street would love to work with Morrissey again. Frankly, this is exactly what Morrissey needs right now. Morrissey needs Street both as a producer, and a song writing partner. These are desperate times for Morrissey, especially being label-less yet again.

I've not been a fan of Morrissey's output in the last decade or so. Despite the occasional song that excites me (Staircase at the University comes to mind), the other songs strike a lifeless, stagnant, autopilot tone to my ears. His producer since WPINOYB, Joe Chiccarelli is awful and downright Morrissey cancer, he needs to go. I couldn't think of a better fit than Stephen Street heading into 2021. Someone needs to light a fire under Morrissey and Stephen Street is just the guy to do it.

Can you imagine a new Morrissey album produced by Stephen Street and packed with Street and Boorer compositions? I'd love to see Alain Whyte back as a songwriter too, but too much wishful thinking for one post.

A new Morrissey album produced by Street with co writes from Street, Boorer and Whyte would be amazing. Some kind of cross between Viva Hate and Quarry would be ideal.

Sadly there is no room for Alain to come back with Tobias still in the band.

A new Morrissey album produced by Street with co writes from Street, Boorer and Whyte would be amazing. Some kind of cross between Viva Hate and Quarry would be ideal.

Perhaps we could have a whip-round and raise enough to pay Jesse off?

Alain contributed to both Ringleader and YOR while Jesse was in the band. It's not impossible.

You don't hear much about his time living in Dublin. I walked by Moz a few times in the street but he was always with people. I settled for a nod and brief eye contact. No point inserting yourself and hassling people. (Still wish I had though).
Do you know if he still owns a place there? I know he used to live there on and off but not much beyond that.

@GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn
What I’m saying is, that one just might be a better judge of a place if they don’t actually live there, but comes from there. That they can see more clearly the changes that are happening or have happened.
In some cases that's probably true. Don't think that's really the case for Morrissey though.

Here's the offending comments in the 2012 interview that led to Street being made 'incommunicado' again:
"...the other thing is that he’s chopped off the front and the end of Late Night, Maudlin Street, which I think, again, is a wrong move. I produced that track with an intro in mind and an outro in mind, and now both ends of it have been kind of butchered, really, in my estimation. So I’m not happy about that, either. But then again, what can I do? It’s not my album – it’s his...
I know he’s going to be upset over my comments about the reissue, but what can I do? I’m a grown man, and if I feel like I disagree with him on something, I’m going to say so. And I’m sure he’ll be upset by it, but I’m only expressing my personal view."
Stephen Street talks “Viva Hate” and trying to keep Morrissey happy | superdeluxeedition

Considering how much Morrissey altered that album with song edits and tracklisting alterations, it seems a fair comment on Street's part, and not exactly slagging him off, just pointing out that those weren't his decisions, and he's not in agreement. But it seems like Morrissey has no room for any criticism, whatsoever, and just jettisons those people out of his world. Ultimately, it's his loss really, which is sad.

Alain contributed to both Ringleader and YOR while Jesse was in the band. It's not impossible.
Moz should duet with The Cure in concert for Plainsong. Moz could walk on and sing the opening line: "I think it's dark and it looks like rain", you said.
And then walk off until coming back for the encore of 'I Lovecats' and 'Boys Do Cry', before really stirring the woke pot with 'Killing An Arab'.

If Moz could leave his ego aside now and again he'd be far better off. He should invite Street and Alain out for dinner & drinks and chat things out. Let bygones be bygones. The future is racing to meet us. Rush to danger, wind up somewhere.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom