stereotyped for liking morrisey

smcauley600

when my brother found out i listened to morrisey he started giving me all this shit like im depressed has anyone else been told stuff like that i like other music i listen and even make electronic music. for me the depressing music is that shite stinking up the top 40.

when my brother found out i listened to morrisey he started giving me all this shit like im depressed has anyone else been told stuff like that i like other music i listen and even make electronic music. for me the depressing music is that shite stinking up the top 40.

tell him all you wanted was a Pepsi

Tell him at least it's not Nirvana

Yes. When my grandfather found out that I listen to the smiths, depeche mode, the cure, Morrissey, the clash, the doors, and stuff like that he said, "You listen to the same crap that your parents did." He thought this was funny and has told this story many times since. I play the guitar, as does he, and I once went to the guitar store with him. I asked the guy that worked there if he had any smiths stuff. He said no and that he didn't know who the smiths were. My grandfather laughed and said that probably nobody does, "She listens to the same crap that her parents did." Another time my grandpa and I went to an open mic thing at a folk store, and I was wearing a smiths shirt. This guy say my shirt and we high-fived over the smiths and my grandpa said to the other guy's parents, "Yeah, he he he. She listens to the same crap as her parents." Later I wondered if this annoyed them too because they had said they liked the smiths too. Then one time he recorded a concert of the smiths for me. I watched it at one of the family barbecues, and he saw the fans throwing themselves at Morrissey and grabbing onto him, and he said "Wow. That must have been the height of his career. He he he." And being a loyal Morrissey fan I was like, "Oh no he didn't!" I said something along the lines of, "No, he is still just as loved. People still throw themselves at him. The Morrissey concert I went to in December at least three people climbed on stage." Oh well, I love my parents, so maybe he makes up for my lack of embarrassing parents.

Stereo type this.....all between 1982 - 1983 I was begining my UBER LOVE for Rockabilly. Saw my first live professional footy game while in London thus begining my love for West Ham. And heard of this lovely,touching,melodic and smart new Band called..... THE SMITHS. heard of 'em? :)

I have always loved being stereotyped for liking Morrissey (with 2 "s"!): it makes me feel a superior mind...

It's not particular to Morrissey/Smiths fans. People who like the stuff in the Top 10 these days are characterised as stupid little gullible X-Factor lovers; people who like Motorhead and Guns N' Roses are characterised as "metallers"; people who like Blink 182 and Marilyn Manson are Emos; people who like U2 and the Eagles are middle of the road; Oasis and Blur fans are stuck-in-the-90s football hooligans/mature students.

All sweeping generalisations, largely inaccurate, but such is life. Who cares?

Now, I'm off to listen to some Elton John.

Having been born in 1970, I couldn't have been born at a better time for music. My mother was hip and liked The Beatles, The Doors. Etc. But she also loved classical, and would take me and my older brother to the philharmonic. I started playing cello. My brother, 4 years older, was big into metal by the time I was 10. Ozzy, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Zeppelin. But, at the same time, loved pop. The Cure, Roxy Music, Depeche Mode, you name it. I grew up listening to it ALL. Then, a few years later, he hands me a cassette by The Smiths. That was it. Not that I 'checked out' entirely because different music was played daily in my home, but by the time The Queen Is Dead came out, Morrissey was all I wanted, all I needed, and all I listened to. After seeing The Smiths live in 1986 at Irvine Meadow California, a girlfriend of mine asked me..."Do you think you'd be the same person if you weren't so into The Smiths & Morrissey"? -(by this time of course I was looked at as a sullen, lonely, loner who lived, (just barely), for death, quiet and solitude, and black on the inside & out. Nothing could have been farther from the truth. I loved and understood the music and what Morrissey was expressing, and it made me feel great.
By the way. My answer to her question...."I'm not into The Smiths & Morrissey. The Smiths & Morrissey are into me".

"so what bands do you like?"

"oh, you know, the smiths, jawbreaker, lou reed..."

"so are you, like, depressed or something?"

"what gave it away?"

sometimes the stereotype fits. there's nothing wrong with being as depressed as everyone thinks you are and oftentimes it's a relief not having to explain yourself any further.

Tags
depressed morrisey shite top 40
Back
Top Bottom