Steve Jones covers "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

Not a clue. Morrissey doesn't seem to enjoy doing interviews unless they're via email.
Oh! I read “can’t be on...” instead of “has never been on...”. My bad. But yeah, I agree. Damn shame. I know he prefers email when being interviewed by people he doesn’t know or really trust, but I think he could trust Jonesy. He seems like a decent guy and they like each other.

hes a legend,what a life hes had.good spin on the original.
Well he can thank the bassist Glen Matlock for composing all the best Pistols tunes. This present cover is wallpaper rock'n'roll music, he treads water really

Stage fright.

He's fine singing with his band - but that's about it. Everything else including stage banter seems an ordeal.
That said, he’s done numerous tv and radio appearances over the years. Some of them are really great. Some he even seems comfortable (Margi Clarke 1985-ish, J Ross 2004, Edith Bowen 2006, Desert Island Discs 2009, BBC Culture Show 2006).

That said, he’s done numerous tv and radio appearances over the years. Some of them are really great. Some he even seems comfortable (Margi Clarke 1985-ish, J Ross 2004, Edith Bowen 2006, Desert Island Discs 2009, BBC Culture Show 2006).
The Jonathan Ross interview in 2004 is one of Morrissey's finest performances of the last 20 years.

The Jonathan Ross interview in 2004 is one of Morrissey's finest performances of the last 20 years.
Totally agree! He is on fire!

Yes,
Yes! As recently as 15 years ago, Melvis was asked to appear on television. Lol!

f***ing CLASS, Jonesy! Superb cover. That little solo at the end was gorgeous.

And what a masterpiece of a song this is. It’ll never get old. One of our Mozzer’s finest pieces of art.

punk does punk

:thumb:

They might seem numerous gathered together but it's practically nothing.

I agree some are great - I wouldn't go as far as comfortable though. 🙃

They might seem numerous gathered together but it's practically nothing.

I agree some are great - I wouldn't go as far as comfortable though. 🙃
You don’t think he seems comfortable bantering with Wonathan Woss? Or being completely silly with Margi Clarke? Or picking his favorite records with Kirsty Young?

You don’t think he seems comfortable bantering with Wonathan Woss? Or being completely silly with Margi Clarke? Or picking his favorite records with Kirsty Young?

No! He's got all the wee give aways of nervous tension. But his mind didn't go blank, so that's good.

No! He's got all the wee give aways of nervous tension. But his mind didn't go blank, so that's good.

Agree, even in the great interviews there are moments that are just uncomfortable to watch/hear, when you're familiar with the signs. (Though the ones with Margi & Kirsty were possibly as comfortable as it gets...)
I wouldn't call it stage fright though. I think it's more the social aspect that's difficult for him. Which is why I also agree that it would be easier for him to do something like this with someone he knows and likes (assuming that's the case with Steve Jones, I don't know if he actually likes him as a person).
There were a few people he got on with quite well and you can always tell from the interviews he did with them. I thought Len Brown's book was pretty interesting in that regard.

Last edited:
It's a shame Morrissey has never been on Jonesy's Jukebox. Can't imagine it's for lack of an invitation.
Amen. I know Morrissey distrusts journalists so much that he's effectively refused all interviews in recent years, but I really think he'd get on great on Joney's Jukebox - Steve has such a relaxed interview style I can't really imagine anything stressful or akward for Moz coming up. He might even actually enjoy himself.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom