Strange/unexpected Moz references?

í spotted that curio last weekend while deep 'researching' our thematic debates in matters Frink.

Being that í am an absolute shower, í chose not to post it here, despite the utter coolness, as í thought that, sometime soon, í may acquire it. So, í didn't want you lot to know about it. Wot a f***in rotter!, as Steve Jones would say.

So, having {allegedly} fibrillated my atria, you have now 'forced' my wee Jock wallet open and... Oops! í done it again :blushing:

What a unique piece of Mozzerabilia though? í wonder who 'half-inched' it? Am í an accessory in trading in stolen goods? Jings!

í noticed that the signage was missing by the time Tim Broad filmed the "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" promotional film in the Summer of '92. Yet it was still in place when Linder took her Moz Shots in...early '92?

í am 'flitting' in the near future, and as part of my de-clutter this past week í unearthed the official XL Tench St poster from '91. The notion of that in a frame, with yer actual Wapping Victoriana hanging above, was simply too good a new decor idea to resist.

Plus, who can resist the "typical age wear, craquelure and patches of discoloration"? ~ í see it every morning in my mirror.

I would be FURIOUS but my bank account contains tragedy & tumbleweed. 🙃

í spotted that curio last weekend while deep 'researching' our thematic debates in matters Frink.

Being that í am an absolute shower, í chose not to post it here, despite the utter coolness, as í thought that, sometime soon, í may acquire it. So, í didn't want you lot to know about it. Wot a f***in rotter!, as Steve Jones would say.

So, having {allegedly} fibrillated my atria, you have now 'forced' my wee Jock wallet open and... Oops! í done it again :blushing:

You're impossible. You may not know this but I never forget any harm done, least of all that which I have inflicted upon others. I guess the triumph of drowning me in feelings of guilt is more than fair compensation for the repeated inconveniences (and prolonged time in hospital) you had to endure because of me [allegedly].

What a unique piece of Mozzerabilia though? í wonder who 'half-inched' it? Am í an accessory in trading in stolen goods? Jings!

í noticed that the signage was missing by the time Tim Broad filmed the "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" promotional film in the Summer of '92. Yet it was still in place when Linder took her Moz Shots in...early '92?

í am 'flitting' in the near future, and as part of my de-clutter this past week í unearthed the official XL Tench St poster from '91. The notion of that in a frame, with yer actual Wapping Victoriana hanging above, was simply too good a new decor idea to resist.

Plus, who can resist the "typical age wear, craquelure and patches of discoloration"? ~ í see it every morning in my mirror.

It's a top-class item! I demand pictures of the art installation as soon as you've settled into the new place.

It is nevertheless a curious concurrence of circumstances that the thief seller decided to cast off the loot in chronological congruence to the culminating frink.

~ You're impossible. You may not know this but I never forget any harm done, least of all that which I have inflicted upon others. I guess the triumph of drowning me in feelings of guilt is more than fair compensation for the repeated inconveniences (and prolonged time in hospital) you had to endure because of me [allegedly].

~ It's a top-class item! I demand pictures of the art installation as soon as you've settled into the new place.

~ It is nevertheless a curious concurrence of circumstances that the thief seller decided to cast off the loot in chronological congruence to the culminating frink.

~ Guilt schmuilt; the Frink was worth the fibrillation. And you #enabled me to buy something that í was clearly always insane enough to buy anyway, but just too embarrassed to admit. Wapping E1 is my Abbey Road NW8 :squiffy:

~ Top-classy indeed. From Wapping to a Regent Street showroom, real 'World of Interiors' guff. í can do you an etching, following installation {not moving 'til September though!} Time enough to complete the mise-en-scène with a nicked E1 wonky bollard? Know any cheap diggers? A shove and it's over...

~ Cor! Kudos. :bow:

SmithsLondonRockgarden23March83Flyer.jpg

Last edited:
I'm asking a Moz question - does anyone know if Bill Buford published articles that became his book Among The Thugs in the run up to its publication in June 1992? Or was it published in some form in 1990? I've found one article from April 1992 in The New York Times that focuses on a National Front Disco in Bury, is quite homoerotic & mentions West Ham football thugs.

I know there's been speculation that it inspired him - but I'm wondering how likely it is.

book - Copy.jpg

I'm asking a Moz question - does anyone know if Bill Buford published articles that became his book Among The Thugs in the run up to its publication in June 1992? Or was it published in some form in 1990? I've found one article from April 1992 in The New York Times that focuses on a National Front Disco in Bury, is quite homoerotic & mentions West Ham football thugs.

I know there's been speculation that it inspired him - but I'm wondering how likely it is.

View attachment 69976

Looks like Among The Thugs was first published in 1990, according to Wikipedia and some online shops selling used copies.

Definitely before June 1992 though, see this review from Nov 1991 that gives the following publication details:

Screenshot_20210323-134432_Chrome.jpg

Goddard discusses the influence in Mozipedia as well.

View attachment 69976

On a sidenote - the suggestion that his interest in skin and hooligan culture (associated with the NF) was based to no small degree on a romanticised homoerotic idea doesn't seem so far-fetched when he basically compares it to a fascination with kinky stuff.

"Well if anyone reads the lyrics and still has an extreme, or offensive, or... objectionable view of it, then all I can believe is that they are determined to think that. The phenomenon of the National Front interests me, like it interests everyone. Just as all manner of sexuality interests everyone. That doesn't mean that you necessarily want to take part."

(Observer, Dec 1992)

On a sidenote - the suggestion that his interest in skin and hooligan culture (associated with the NF) was based to no small degree on a romanticised homoerotic idea doesn't seem so far-fetched when he basically compares it to a fascination with kinky stuff.

"Well if anyone reads the lyrics and still has an extreme, or offensive, or... objectionable view of it, then all I can believe is that they are determined to think that. The phenomenon of the National Front interests me, like it interests everyone. Just as all manner of sexuality interests everyone. That doesn't mean that you necessarily want to take part."

(Observer, Dec 1992)

And then he ends up endorsing it.

something for the boy with everything, but not this. Would make a lovely gift for Moz, if you can ever part with it one day.

(Observer, Dec 1992)

This picture he took of Jake does hint his mind might have been going in that direction.

20210323_173536.jpg

I'd love a book of his lyrics & unpublished pictures, maybe an anecdote or two.

I'm forever daydreaming about that book of unpublished photos Jake teased roughly a decade ago.

:pray:

Not holding my breath though.

This is Moz adjacent.

Can anyone explain why violence, homophobia & sexism gets a larky, sympathetic write up from vintage UK music journalists but Morrissey being a bit odd sent them into convulsions from the very beginning of his career?????

The levels of leeway that men who are not Morrissey get is batshit. :ahhh:

Highlights:

20210324_005326.jpg

20210324_005432.jpg

20210324_005305.jpg

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom