strangely silent ahead of the UK tour

I agree with your last point and can only assume he does the arena dates for maximum opportunity for the least amount of work.
Quite possibly. Or perhaps, since it's all about the bottom line, it really is the most cost-effective option, even taking into account the unsold tickets. I should imagine setting it up, taking it down and schlepping it all to the next venue doesn't come cheap. Sad, though. Those aircraft hangars have the atmosphere of... well, an aircraft hangar.

I agree that it’s odd that the last tour date for now is the Mexico City festival. I really did think they’d add either some more Mexico dates in alongside this one, and/or some in the Southwest USA.

I agree that it is extremely odd for the band and crew to head all the way back to Mexico City for a one-off. My bet is that at one point there were ambitions to do as you suggest (add additional dates) but for some reason or another that hasn't materialized (yet).

I agree that it is extremely odd for the band and crew to head all the way back to Mexico City for a one-off. My bet is that at one point there were ambitions to do as you suggest (add additional dates) but for some reason or another that hasn't materialized (yet).
Maybe there were plans but the secret service chappies have put them on hold. Did we ever hear whether he was in the clear after that interview?

It looks like the touts are taking a beating due to low ticket sales on this tour.
I just checked GetMeIn, and Aberdeen tickets are going from £18 https://www.getmein.com/tickets/morrissey-tickets/aberdeen-318289.html , Glasgow £38 https://www.getmein.com/tickets/morrissey-tickets/glasgow-318290.html , Newcastle £13 https://www.getmein.com/tickets/morrissey-tickets/newcastle-upon-tyne-318292.html etc etc.
It was the same here. Tickets were down to 10 dollars the day of. Sad for Morrissey that demand is low, but I do love seeing the touts get bent over for a change. I do wonder what implications this could have on any future touring though regarding locations and venues.

It's all low key because sadly it's now a farewell tour folks, on the quiet BMG have pulled the plug out.

It's all low key because sadly it's now a farewell tour folks, on the quiet BMG have pulled the plug out.

If true, this should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone.

(The BMG part anyways)

Surely Korda's made of sterner stuff than running away at the first bit of racist, bigoted trolling? I mean, what did he think he was getting?

There is no plug to pull out. They released an album of new songs. That was the deal. It wasn't a multiple album deal that has suddenly been severed.

In terms of pre-tour silence, Morrissey will rightfully be feeling pretty foolish just now. Claiming he had been misquoted by the German magazine and then challenging them to release the interview tapes, when he knew he hadn't been misquoted, may go down as the stupidest thing he's ever done (up against some pretty stiff competition). The good news for him is that most people who don't come to this website (i.e. 97% of the audience at any given live show) won't have even heard about the whole sorry debacle so it probably won't make much difference to the atmosphere at the upcoming tour.

Surely Korda's made of sterner stuff than running away at the first bit of racist, bigoted trolling? I mean, what did he think he was getting?
He didn't expect the whole campaign to be derailed by Morrissey's idiotic behaviour. A) a frightening obsession with the UK Independence Party who most people (wrongly or rightly) write off as a bunch of racist bigots and B) muddled comments about sexual violence (which were reported to hundreds of millions around the world via the BBC news website and others) which he denied having said, challenged the interviewer involved to publish them, they then did so and Morrissey was exposed as a liar. He could get away with all this stuff (just about) in the pre-internet era. He can't anymore.

It was the same here. Tickets were down to 10 dollars the day of. Sad for Morrissey that demand is low, but I do love seeing the touts get bent over for a change. I do wonder what implications this could have on any future touring though regarding locations and venues.

There are no implications really. Morrissey is an act who has a very high media profile but a relatively small fan base. Therefore, when dates are announced, tons of speculators buy tickets thinking it is bound to sell out as Morrissey is so famous, without realising that his actual fan-base is that of a small to middling indie band. In that initial activity, lots of tickets do get sold, and the promoters make all the money they need to, so they are happy to run similar tours time and time again. The people who lose out are the gullible fans who buy inflated tickets off touts as soon as they hear it's sold out (and arguably also those paying face value) - the people who gain are those of us with a cool head who wait til around now, and pick up tickets for less than half face value.

He didn't expect the whole campaign to be derailed by Morrissey's idiotic behaviour. A) a frightening obsession with the UK Independence Party who most people (wrongly or rightly) write off as a bunch of racist bigots and B) muddled comments about sexual violence (which were reported to hundreds of millions around the world via the BBC news website and others) which he denied having said, challenged the interviewer involved to publish them, they then did so and Morrissey was exposed as a liar. He could get away with all this stuff (just about) in the pre-internet era. He can't anymore.
I agree, even by his own standards it was self-trolling/self-sabotage on a quite spectacular scale. But it's not like he hadn't got previous, and the warning signs have been there on True-to-you (and elsewhere) for years. I can't believe BMG were entirely surprised. But, I guess everybody draws a red line somewhere. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if it has been crossed.

I agree, even by his own standards it was self-trolling/self-sabotage on a quite spectacular scale. But it's not like he hadn't got previous, and the warning signs have been there on True-to-you (and elsewhere) for years. I can't believe BMG were entirely surprised. But, I guess everybody draws a red line somewhere. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see if it has been crossed.

It's not really about BMG being surprised. All they (and any other record company) really need is to shift a certain number of albums. Morrissey has never before managed to sabotage his own album campaign so effectively, so that will very clearly have taken them by surprise. The first single came out and was a huge radio success which is massively important. But after the UKIP comment, BBC effectively withdrew all support. Hardly any plays of Jackie and the album wasn't even given album of the week status (and normally this would be an absolute given). Then we got all the Harvey Weinstein stuff, communicated to hundreds of millions of people via the major news websites just as the album was released. Then, if that wasn't enough, there were the comments about the German magazine and the implication that they had misquoted him, and we all know how that ended.
It is salvageable. If Bob Clearmountain has done a great mix of All the People, and radio stations decide to get behind it as they did with Spent the Day, the album will come flying back into the charts.

There are no implications really. Morrissey is an act who has a very high media profile but a relatively small fan base. Therefore, when dates are announced, tons of speculators buy tickets thinking it is bound to sell out as Morrissey is so famous, without realising that his actual fan-base is that of a small to middling indie band. In that initial activity, lots of tickets do get sold, and the promoters make all the money they need to, so they are happy to run similar tours time and time again. The people who lose out are the gullible fans who buy inflated tickets off touts as soon as they hear it's sold out (and arguably also those paying face value) - the people who gain are those of us with a cool head who wait til around now, and pick up tickets for less than half face value.
I get how it works, but it seems like this will be the last tour where the touts are willing to gamble on him. Losses at every single date, and if he's not profitable, and the tickets aren't sold to anyone (because face it, the touts and the ticket vendors are one) then it would make sense to see him stop playing large venues, and go back to the rock club circuit.

Therefore, when dates are announced, tons of speculators buy tickets thinking it is bound to sell out as Morrissey is so famous, without realising that his actual fan-base is that of a small to middling indie band.

C'mon. This is a bit of an overstatement. Morrissey's star is a bit more than that of a "small to middling indie band". He's certainly not a stadium act (though he can pack an arena or shed in certain markets), but he's not playing 400 capacity clubs, either.

There is no plug to pull out. They released an album of new songs. That was the deal. It wasn't a multiple album deal that has suddenly been severed.

In terms of pre-tour silence, Morrissey will rightfully be feeling pretty foolish just now. Claiming he had been misquoted by the German magazine and then challenging them to release the interview tapes, when he knew he hadn't been misquoted, may go down as the stupidest thing he's ever done (up against some pretty stiff competition). The good news for him is that most people who don't come to this website (i.e. 97% of the audience at any given live show) won't have even heard about the whole sorry debacle so it probably won't make much difference to the atmosphere at the upcoming tour.
0 tickets on stubhub..

I get how it works, but it seems like this will be the last tour where the touts are willing to gamble on him. Losses at every single date, and if he's not profitable, and the tickets aren't sold to anyone (because face it, the touts and the ticket vendors are one) then it would make sense to see him stop playing large venues, and go back to the rock club circuit.

What type of venue do you class as a rock club? Personally I would prefer to see him in the 2 to 5k sized venues. Blackpool Empress Ballrooms, Bradford St Georges Hall and Sheffield City Hall were all great gigs for me.

C'mon. This is a bit of an overstatement. Morrissey's star is a bit more than that of a "small to middling indie band". He's certainly not a stadium act (though he can pack an arena or shed in certain markets), but he's not playing 400 capacity clubs, either.

Agree, don't see many small to middling indie bands pulling in 70 to 100k punters on a tour which this one looks like doing. Outside of London I don't think he will fill any of the venues but most look 80% sold at the moment, which isn't bad after all the crap he has spouted lately.

Back
Top Bottom