"Studio In Session" featuring Morrissey on Sundance in Canada

I am in Canada and do not have sundance channel...I think I have every other channel but this channel. .....It's on channel 331 for people who have Rogers. It says I have to subscribe in order to record the program... lol

Last edited:
The opening "Are you alive? / There is no substitute" exchange between them was painfully awkward, absolutely cringe-inducing - strange when you consider that they must have known each other for a long time.

have you not seen The Importance of Being Morrissey documentary? it's just the way he is.

Having watched and listened to these songs a bunch of times, I still have the same feeling:

"Looker" is pretty much a line or two filled with the "La La La La..." throughout. Come on--this is not good. For those who think Moz can do no wrong, how can you be serious with this.

I think you've missed the point slightly: this discussion was had here when the song was first played - the inane "la-la-la's" are what the fabricated Pop Idol of the song's subject is singing. Surely people STILL aren't clued up to the way Moz writes "in character"...? What next - more complaints about "England for the English"???

These videos are a perfect example of how it's Morrissey and a bunch session guys and not a true "band".

There is ZERO band "feeling" in this whole situation.

They are karaoke musicians that Moz sings in front of.

I commend Matt Walker for having the awareness to walk away from this set up.

*Yawns*

Morrissey isn't the Stones. He's a solo artist. Would you be making the same comments about Bowie's band? Of course not. It's just another stick with which to beat him.

I dont know what you people are crying about but Year of Refusal was the best morrissey album in years if not ever...so what would make you think this one would be terrible ?

Are you serious?

PHP:
*Yawns*

Morrissey isn't the Stones. He's a solo artist. Would you be making the same comments about Bowie's band? Of course not. It's just another stick with which to beat him.

Bowie changed collaborators often and to great effect. He sacked half the Spiders and moved from glam to blue eyed soul, over to Berlin to dabble in electronica, and in doing so produced classic album after classic album. He rounded out the seventies with Lodger and kick started the eighties with Scary Monsters. He ran out of fuel then, but by God he gave us genius in return.

Morrissey should be able to do the same. That level of creativity is what he should be capable of even now. Why is that a controversial view? Morrissey and Eno? Drool. If he does still have "it", and there are hints in Scandinavia that his muse is still capable of rehabilitation, then why stick to this lumpen backbeat?

If he is really as confident as he claims he should find someone else to work with. If he still wants to drag The Mannequins across the world to pay for studio time then fine, but he needs someone else in the studio. Of course, perhaps the notoriously tight fisted Moz doesn't believe in his new material as much as he claims so does not want to sink six figure sums into polishing them.

Your initial premise is wrong. People who go to football matches make no pretence about being as talented as they people they are watching, yet they, as paying customers, can decry what they see and criticise the talent on display. It's exactly the same with music fans. 99.9% of them couldn't dream of playing like the musicians they enjoy, and yet they can still distinguish between artistically good and bad - in their book. I do think there's a difference in those who are paid to critique art - as Brendan Behan said: "Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.". But it's poor reasoning to ask someone to come up with something simply because they criticise it. I could ask you which music you don't enjoy, then ask you to come up with a tune and play it as well as those you don't enjoy.

P.

Fair enough. But that's a two-way street you're preaching, so I hope you realize where you're misguided as well. No matter how much philosophical context you'd like to wax

because where he has a right to his opinion, as you stress, so do I. And if you're going to be impartial as any moderator should be, then you should challenge his assertion as well, right? He's not a paying customer. He's not even a member of the forum. He's throwing darts at a couple of songs that somebody uploaded for free to watch and to download in the D/B forum. So before you attempt to tout that cockney British ego of yours, you need to do a little soul searching on this angle. Because, like I said, it's a two-way street

see how that works?

Not the point. The point is that those subjective opinions, negative though they may be, are legitimate, and do not require the counter-production of Art on the part of the critic in order to validate said criticism.

But...it's a perfectly valid argument, because most "critics" couldn't so much as paint their f***ing house a different color if their life depended on it

have you not seen The Importance of Being Morrissey documentary? it's just the way he is.

I have, and it reminds me of the part where he's having a conversation with a band member (can't remember but I think perhaps Deano?) in a café - strained, and strange. It didn't sound at all like natural conversation.

I have, and it reminds me of the part where he's having a conversation with a band member (can't remember but I think perhaps Deano?) in a café - strained, and strange. It didn't sound at all like natural conversation.

I think all Morrissey's conversations are probably like this.

'Natural' in the sense of...in front of a small film crew, with boom microphone, producer, camera assistant, et al. Similar set-up with Visconti in Dublin.

Come on Amy; he aint in TOWIE here. I'd wager he is awkward in 'real' life (he's said and sung as much) but you stick a camera on him (when he's not singing) and of course he's going to come off as stilted. I'd like to see how you manage! :p

I know the scene you're talking about and it struck me the exact same way; it's uncomfortable to watch, almost.

Just had a listen, and ... I'm with Amy on The Kid's a Looker - the weakest of the four songs. I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's quite boring.
Really like People are the same and Action is my middle name. The intro in Scandinavia is nice, and the song itself is okay too.

"Its a shame its a shame the guitars always sound the same!!! Yeh yeh yeh!!!
Such a shame such a shame I've become a national pain!!! Yeh yeh yeh!!!
Then my creator started turning me into Subo!!!!
Me and Subo are the same and its very very plain!!!!!!!!
Trah la la la la la la la lalalalalala lah lah laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

"Manwell!!!! Manchester,Rome and Tel AviiiiiiiiiiiVA!!!!!! Blah blah blah!!!

Nope. Just YOUR personal opinion, not "fact". Give me The Kid's A Looker over ANYTHING on Kill Uncle.

Well you've now proved your level of taste. "Driving your girlfriend home" is one of the best songs Morrissey has ever written.

That isn't Deano or anyone from the band in that cafe conversation.

It is Deano...I believe.The cafe scene in question starts at 34:16.

I'm still a little unsure, but either way it was a fairly cruel decision by the editors to sandwich that segment between Morrissey talking about "people who have nothing to say", "It's just the same old patter and you're none the wiser for knowing somebody for 5 years" - as though the café awkwardness is all the other guy's fault for being such a bore.

That little clip reminded me why I haven't watched the documentary in so long. James O'Brien is an unbearably smug tosser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom