Sweetie Pie - Why was/is it so hated?

MILKISMURDER

I love both versions. Beautiful.

The reason most things are hated: because it was/is different.

The second version is standardly Morrissey though so I can't think that's unpopular?I like the first one too, does away with standard musical backing and is more like a collection of background noise.

Because Sweetie Pie is standing on stage everyday tapping the mic saying "HELLOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Is this thing on? Can you hear me????" :p

The second version is standardly Morrissey though so I can't think that's unpopular?I like the first one too, does away with standard musical backing and is more like a collection of background noise.

Well, yes, you get the feeling that more people like Mikey's version better. No argument there.

On the original I feel like he was going for a similar effect to his rendition of Moon River. His voice being the true melody, crooning over a sonic wall. The altering of his voice was perhaps a step too far. Would be interesting to hear the first's arrangement with the clear vocal of the second.

On the original I feel like he was going for a similar effect to his rendition of Moon River. His voice being the true melody, crooning over a sonic wall. The altering of his voice was perhaps a step too far. Would be interesting to hear the first's arrangement with the clear vocal of the second.

I'm pretty sure that's on YouTube, somewhere. I think it's called the Sweetie Pie Remix (or words to that effect).

I prefer Mikey's version. Really beautiful. One of my favourite Morrissey songs. Great lyrics and some lovely 'lyric-less vocalisations'.

I'm pretty sure that's on YouTube, somewhere. I think it's called the Sweetie Pie Remix (or words to that effect).

I prefer Mikey's version. Really beautiful. One of my favourite Morrissey songs. Great lyrics and some lovely 'lyric-less vocalisations'.

The remix seems to fade out the original version's instrumentation after thirty seconds or so and is focussed on the full second version. I meant doing away with the piano, guitars etc and just having the original instrumental paired with a clear vocal.

Personally I think Sweetie Pie is the worse song that Morrissey has ever released (not including cover versions). Utter trash!

I really like it.
Of course, it is a differnt song. SP isn`t like most songs around the world - it has its won indentification.
Kristy Young vocals make it stranger than usual and that`s why so many people can't it - IMO.

The Mikey version is really good and I haven't seen anyone say anything against it. I doubt it's hated. The B-Sides version is dire, an unsightly blemish on Morrissey's discography.

The Mikey version is really good and I haven't seen anyone say anything against it. I doubt it's hated. The B-Sides version is dire, an unsightly blemish on Morrissey's discography.

You haven't been looking hard enough ;)
I don't hate it, it's hard to hate something that bland and MOR-ish. From the first second you know exactly where the next bits going to go.
Whereas the bona fide, Morrissey 'Sweetie Pie' is a strange and sublime minor masterpiece of haunting pop, a beautiful black beauty spot on the face of Morrissey's oeuvre. As some clever swine once noted "Emily Brontë via Brian Eno" :thumb:

100% agree. I love the original Sweetie Pie - there's some beauty in that soundscape but they shouldn't have messed with his voice.

I don't hate Mikey's version but I don't like it. It just sounds dialled in. Produced by AN Other.

Yeah, one of my favourites. It beats any of the newer stuff. I love how its so unique and different. I think it's a great song if it's put alongside songs like "I'd Love To", which is also another AMAZING Morrissey song.

Why is it so hated? Why does anyone not like a song? Because it sucks.

Because it sounds like a f***ing headache.

according to last fm, its one of the Moz songs I play the least (twice in the last 4 years)
but I just gave a listen to

this version, I like it, I have no idea which version it is, I never could never keep track of that crap :rolleyes:
but this one is better than the one I had before :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom