Tales From The MozTube

Jukebox Jury

Retired
Thought I'd do a quick review of the 'MozTube' tour of the Morrissey & Smiths related places in London.
There was 14 in total, with people from Argentina, Mexico, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Scotland and various parts of England.

We started off at Euston and then made our way to Whitechapel for The Grave Maurice pub. Good news here indeed!
The hidious lick of yellow paint had gone and replaced with a dark grey colour AND the pub was now officially re-named The Grave Maurice and not the offending 'Q Bar'.

Off to the Vallance Street road sign, as posed at by Morrissey many years ago, around the corner from the pub. BUT the road sign was not there.... there was nothing! Own up, who nicked it?:eek:

Then off to Tench Street / Reardon Street on the bus and back to Whitechapel Station for the tube to Sloane Square.
A short walk to the 'Suedehead' house was followed by a trip to various snack bars for lunch before continuing to Oscar Wilde's old abode.
This was followed with a trip to Geales Fish Restaurant and then Geo Trumpers Hairdressers in Mayfair.
Then off we set for Piccadilly Circus, but managed to loose 2 of the party on the underground as the train by now was packed (around 4.30pm).
However, once above ground the pair were contacted and we met up at the final site, The Rock Garden in Covent Garden.
We were able to go into the basement room at the club to see the venue of The Smiths first London date. But at £4.25 a pint, declined the offer of a beer or three....
So at 5.15pm the tour finished. Some went their own way afterwards and a good number of us went to a pub near Euston for quite a few pints.

Thanks to all who came, it was a great and enjoyable day.
Please post pictures on this thread for others to enjoy.

Jukebox Jury

Thought I'd do a quick review of the 'MozTube' tour of the Morrissey & Smiths related places in London.
There was 14 in total, with people from Argentina, Mexico, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Scotland and various parts of England.

We started off at Euston and then made our way to Whitechapel for The Grave Maurice pub. Good news here indeed!
The hidious lick of yellow paint had gone and replaced with a dark grey colour AND the pub was now officially re-named The Grave Maurice and not the offending 'Q Bar'.

Off to the Vallance Street road sign, as posed at by Morrissey many years ago, around the corner from the pub. BUT the road sign was not there.... there was nothing! Own up, who nicked it?:eek:

Then off to Tench Street / Reardon Street on the bus and back to Whitechapel Station for the tube to Sloane Square.
A short walk to the 'Suedehead' house was followed by a trip to various snack bars for lunch before continuing to Oscar Wilde's old abode.
This was followed with a trip to Geales Fish Restaurant and then Geo Trumpers Hairdressers in Mayfair.
Then off we set for Piccadilly Circus, but managed to loose 2 of the party on the underground as the train by now was packed (around 4.30pm).
However, once above ground the pair were contacted and we met up at the final site, The Rock Garden in Covent Garden.
We were able to go into the basement room at the club to see the venue of The Smiths first London date. But at £4.25 a pint, declined the offer of a beer or three....
So at 5.15pm the tour finished. Some went their own way afterwards and a good number of us went to a pub near Euston for quite a few pints.

Thanks to all who came, it was a great and enjoyable day.
Please post pictures on this thread for others to enjoy.

Jukebox Jury

Sounds splendid. We need pics!

Peter

Hey Phil, sounds a great trip! Just a shame I couldn't make it. I'll be taking your book with me up to London tomorrow to try to cross a few things off my list. Is The Grave Maurice restored to the 'Sunny' / 'Under the Influence' looks, or is it just better than the vulgar Q Bar there before?

Hey Phil, sounds a great trip! Just a shame I couldn't make it. I'll be taking your book with me up to London tomorrow to try to cross a few things off my list. Is The Grave Maurice restored to the 'Sunny' / 'Under the Influence' looks, or is it just better than the vulgar Q Bar there before?

Just better than the vulgar Q Bar.
The sign above the door is in small silver lettering declaring 'Grave Maurice'.

Jukebox Jury

Hi Phil,

I heard from one or two people that the tour was fantastic. Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish I could have gone - maybe next time.... I was out with an old friend who was leaving london the next day so it was not possible to join. Pity because I heard it was a blast! I hope someone took some nice pics of some cool corners of the town.

well, here is the famous alma street...
Dsc02201.jpg

couldn't resist, sorry phill. i owe you a pint...

Last edited:
Here are some of my photos

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

Who's MORRISSY?
DSC01738.jpg

DSC01740.jpg

DSC01744.jpg

DSC01748.jpg

And now someone please put up some pics of Trumper's and Rock Garden as I mysteriously missed those places :rolleyes:

Nice one. It was indeed a dreaded sunny January day!

Who took the 'group pictures' at Euston and Piccadilly Circus?

Jukebox Jury

Do they not have street signs in England?

Here are some of my photos

And now someone please put up some pics of Trumper's and Rock Garden as I mysteriously missed those places :rolleyes:

I want to see the video of me dancing on the stage and the old guy shouting, 'Get off the stage!' and me turning and singing, 'You silly old man!'.

I have video of Trumper's but it was done in secret. Also, I'd need permission from those recorded on it. I've quite a few videos actually. Grim with rent boys et cetera. For them same reason. Most will never see the light of day. Gentlemen do prefer blondes.

oh guys, i am seriously wounded to my core that you never took me to Alma street with you...
:tears:
i did however just laugh my arse off at that vid *adopts squeaky voice* "is that my phone?"

LOL

Back
Top Bottom