tell us about the last Film you saw

We all believe we'd run into that burning building,
but until we feel that heat, we can never know.
You do.

Tenet (2020)

Tenet 1.jpg

Tenet 2.jpg

Tenet 3.jpg

Tenet 4.jpg

Tenet 5.jpg

Tenet 6.jpg

Tenet 7.jpg

Tenet 8.jpg

Tenet 9.jpg

Do you smell something?
Like what?
Kinda like, vanilla I think.
It is vanilla. I soak them (hands) in vanilla and milk
to take away the smell of the pickles. Something that
my Father taught me. Does it bother you?
No. It's nice.

Crossing Delancey (1988)

Crossing Delancey 1.jpg

Crossing Delancey 2.jpg

Crossing Delancey 3.jpg

Crossing Delancey 4.jpg

Crossing Delancey 5.jpg

Crossing Delancey 6.jpg

Crossing Delancey 7.jpg

Crossing Delancey 8.jpg

Crossing Delancey 9.jpg

One night, a sad Mother places her Chicken egg in a Ducks nest.
Soon the Lil Stranger hatches with the rest of the Ducklings. The
Mother Duck can't understand why Lil Stranger doesn't quack and
swim like the rest of'em. They start to shun Lil Stranger, but come
to find out, Lil Stranger has the gumption and gristle to get along
and save the day!

The Revenant with Leonardo Di C.

One of the best scenes: A very angry mama bear!

A survival and revenge drama in the early days of the frontier in the US. The landscape is as hostile as a far-away planet, and mankind is presented like vermin, with some very few exceptions.

Great camera work, especially of the hostile landscape, and some of the best man vs. nature scenes ever shot for cinema.

The story is pretty shallow, not much going on character-wise, and after awhile, I decided to accept the movie's simple invitation to enjoy watching the white male protagonist suffering and being tortured while nature is sort of taking revenge upon him - as a representative of the european conquest, I assume - non-stop.

Sometimes I thought that "Dead Man" had the better soundtrack and story (There are some strong allusions which added a distant echo of a comic relief), but in The Revenant I liked its humorless intransigency, as it left no doubt that for a real man there is never ever an escape from the brutality of life itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Werner Herzog: Grizzly Man (2005)

Werner Herzog gave Timothy Treadwell as much credit as is possible. It's one of those stories (like the one about Chris Mccandless, eg.) that make you feel obliged to come up with a judgement about this person's character. Maybe we just have to accept that it is impossible for human beings to understand their role in a universe driven forward by hostility, destruction and chaos (according to Herzog's view), and that the possibility to perceive beauty and order is always an illusion but necessary for human survival and "sanity".
There is one scene in which Herzog is alluding to Klaus Kinski, and he must have been THE traumatic experience in Herzog's life, all this mesmerizing craziness.

Cave of forgotten Dreams - Werner Herzog

This takes place in Southern France, in the grotte Chauvet-Pont d'Arc, leading us back to a time when the Neanderthal was still roaming through what is known as Europe today. In this cave, 32000-year-old rock paintings have been discovered, along with bones of cave bears and other animals. No human remains were found. So, who were these painters? What had brought them there? What made them paint after all?
The images combined with the music are quite mesmerizing.

Nevertheless, I couldn't help but think that it is too much of an effort to make this period of human history appear sublime and pregnant with religious meaning, as if these people had a closer connection to what is nowadays considered sacred. I think there were some basic facts missing about these people. For example, we should keep in mind that people back then had a life expectancy of about 16 years. This was just enough time to procreate and survive a few winters. These painters were children in mind, and probably those who were able to procreate, still had the mind of a 5-year-old. Put some pens into a child's hand that just had its food, and it instantly draws.

AKIRA (1988)

😬😬😬

It's Lord Akira!
That's were all the power and energy is.

Fear and Trembling

What I like about the Japanese culture, from what I have learned, is that people are frowned upon who try to impose themselves emotionally on other people. I would like to have some of that at my work place too.

High Life (2019) - Claire Denis

Takes place in a space prison with the young inmates "volunteering" in an experiment concerning procreation in space. The sex and parenthood angle gives this space odyssee a coarse veneer which I haven't seen before in this genre.

Agnes Varda et JR: Faces Places / Visages Villages (2017)

An artistic Harold and Maude road trip through rural France, which among other things is trying to find out What Kind Of People Live/d and Work/ed in These Houses.

1641288427322.png

1641288487069.png

1641288632248.png

1641288663943.png

It's always sunny and folks are in a great mood and open to let inspiration invade the bland ordinariness of everyday life in the countryside.

At the end of the film they want to visit JL godard but he only left a message for Varda which makes her cry. Didn't quite understand why.

1641289299119.png

Ruben Östlund _ Incident by a bank / 11' short (2010)

A recreation of a weirdly failed bank robbery in Stockholm in 2006 told from the perspective of two slow-witted and perplexed bystanders.
I can see what the film makers liked about this story.

Alphaville - JL Godard (1965)

A humorous pastiche of hard-boiled film noir and dystopian elements told by an off-screen voice using a voice box prothesis. Assez intéressant.

Boom For Real. The Late Teenage Years of Jean-Michel Basquiat (2018)

It's about New York from 1978-1981, and how the city which was dying from neglect had turned into an urban jungle and wasteland, which opened space for creative exploration outside the conventional art scene, and the emergence of an urban street art like graffiti, which was looking for a way to be acknowledged. Basquiat was a child of this time and became successful with what he was doing.

Junior / short film (2011)

It's about one girl's metamorphosis from unhappy ugly duckling into a happy presentable girlfriend. With the sticky body fluids taking over, this film reminded me of "The Fly" from David Cronenberg.

malignant is the film of the year for me,stunning horror from james wan.its been a poor year for film,would struggle to even make a top ten.
even edgar wrights last night in soho was only decent,i was expecting a bit more.
daniel craigs final bond will always divide opinion,watched it three times and seem to enjoy it more on each viewing.
south korea is still my go to place for quality when it comes to film.

Youth (2015) - Paolo Sorrentino

Enjoyable tragic-comedy for the older folks like me. Takes place in the Swiss mountains in a VIP sanatorium. It's all about getting old in the music and film business, and how to be remembered. Harvey Keitel and Michael Caine are kind of like Waldorf and Statler in the Muppet Show.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom