tell us about the last Film you saw

Re: tell us about the last Film you saw.

i-can-do-bad-poster-3.jpg

Me and my sis went to see Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself last night. It was actually the first time I've ever seen a Tyler Perry movie. The dramedy tells a tale about April, a selfish alcoholic who struggles to raise her late sister's three children. Meanwhile, she has an affair with a married man, who turns out to be controlling and tries to rape her niece, until a Mexican immigrant comes to stay and fall in love with her.

Me and my sis went to see Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself last night. It was actually the first time I've ever seen a Tyler Perry movie. The dramedy tells a tale about April, a selfish alcoholic who struggles to raise her late sister's three children. Meanwhile, she has an affair with a married man, who turns out to be controlling and tries to rape her niece, until a Mexican immigrant comes to stay and fall in love with her.

wow that sounds like a horrible movie. I can't stand Tyler Perry.

I just finished Jodorowsky's first film, Fando Y Lis. The movie was completely bizarre, reminding me of David Lynch as well as Salvador Dali's work. At the premier of the movie, the first screening caused a riot. Here's the description off the back of the movie:

"Banned in Mexico, a permanent cause celebre, surrealist 'fabulador' Alejandro Jodorowsky's unique career began with this bizarre tale of corrupted innocence, sadomasochistic love and unattainable paradise. Created from hazy memories of the controversial Fernando Arrabal play he staged in Paris, Jodorowsky's sublime freak-out follows impotent Fando (Sergio Kleiner) and his paraplegic sweetheart Lis (Diana Mariscal) searching for the enchanted city of Tar where spiritual ecstasy resides. The astonishing road trip takes them through urban rubble, scalding deserts, treacherous mountains, their own pasts and close encounters of the weirdest kind in Jodorowsky's seminal, signature work of starting provocation and incendiary art."

Fando_Y_Lis_500.jpg

vicky-cristina-barcelona-inv.jpg

Very nice film, and Spain looks so beautiful.

the postman
Post-apocalyptic America. What begins as a con game becomes one man's quest to rebuild civilization by resuming postal service.

costner, i want 3 hours of my life back.

the postman
Post-apocalyptic America. What begins as a con game becomes one man's quest to rebuild civilization by resuming postal service.

costner, i want 3 hours of my life back.

My god that was awful. Gives "Waterworld" a run for it's money as Costner's darkest hour. A far cry from "JFK".

I am now in film school, so I watch an ungodly amount of movies in a week. Its sheer insanity.
In the last 3 days I have watched
Antichrist- Lars Von Trier
Pulp Fiction
The Mirror- Tartkovsky
Memento-Christopher Nolan

and tomorrow I have to watch this movie about animals being slaughtered...at 10am in the morning. :eek:

I am now in film school, so I watch an ungodly amount of movies in a week. Its sheer insanity.

Well, there could be worse. It sounds fun. All the film classes my friends are in sound interesting and from what I hear they watch some awesome movies. Sometimes, I'm jealous, but, who knows, I watch movies on my own time, so maybe I would feel different if I was in a class and was constantly bombarded with them.

and tomorrow I have to watch this movie about animals being slaughtered...at 10am in the morning.

Ah, that doesn't sound great. What movie is that?

Salo, 1975.

Words cannot describe how much I despised this movie. Much like Antichrist it is full of insufferable pretension which covers the fact that it is essentially worthless. Avoid.

YIKES!
Watched that on NYE two (?) years ago...
Not exactly a good start into the new year... :sick:

Annie Hall and Manhattan both by Woody Allen.

Both of them were great. I love Allen's neurotic character in both. Annie Hall is a funny romantic movie about a comedian (Allen) that falls in love with this girl who becomes a singer and the ups and downs of their relationship.

Manhattan
is about this guy who writes for a television show. He's dating a 17 year old girl, but falls in love with this woman his friend is having an affair with. It's Allen's first movie in black and white he does a really good job at it.

I've only seen some of his later stuff, so watching these two really made me want to watch more.

annie-hall1.jpg

manhat1.jpg

Hate to admit it, but...

kit_kittredge_an_american_girl.jpg

'Kit Kittredge: An American Mystery' centers around a young living in the struggles of the Great Depression. 10 year old Kit lives in a boarding house her parents own in Cincinnati, Ohio. She has a passion for writing, & dreams of having something of hers put in the local paper someday. With the help of her friends, Sterling & Ruthie, will her dream finally come true?

My kids wanted to see it-they like mysteries-and honestly, it wasn't that bad.
Nice cast to watch, Julia Ormond :horny:, Stanley Tucci, Jane Krakowksi and Joan Cusack. And Colin Mochrie! :)

^^^ I really need to watch some Woody Allen. I'm ashamed to say that in my seventeen years I have never seen any of his work.

You really should! I watched maybe two others in the past which didn't have much an effect on me, but these were so good. They sparked a new intense interest in his work. My friend let me borrow some of his favorites, so I have two more to watch while I'm house sitting my parent's house.

I just finished Bernardo Bertolucci's Il Conformista (The Comformist). It was a truly beautiful movie with amazing cinematography. It takes place during Fascist Italy and follows a Fascist who has to carry out a mission in France all the while having continuous flashbacks to his past which seem to weigh heavy on his mind.

conformist.jpg

Last edited:

I saw Manhattan in the cinema a few months back, my favourite Woody Allen film that I have seem so far. I'm on a slow-boiling Woody Allen phase this year. So far I've seen:

Annie Hall
Manhattan
Match Point
Crimes And Misdemeanors
Everthing You Always Wanted To Know About Sex (But Were Afraid To Ask)
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Anything Else

and have Celebrity and Deconstucting Harry on the shelf waiting to be watched. I was very disappointed that Whatever Works didn't get a UK cinema release as I was interested to see what he would do with Larry David.

I would say I'm prone to going against the grain on the critical opinion of his films. The much-despised Anything Else I found to be very enjoyable even if it borrowed so many scenes and themes from Annie Hall that it bordered on a modern remake. His so-called return to form Vicky Cristina Barcelona was probably my least favourite of the ones I've seen although my main criticism was the annoyingly patronising voice-over guy who interrupted the flow of the film to explain character opinions and motivations that were obvious. Aside from that it was still very good.

Woody Allen seems to have both an apprechiation of the more depressing and meloncholy life issues and finding great humour in them, not unlike a certain person I know...

I saw Manhattan in the cinema a few months back, my favourite Woody Allen film that I have seem so far. I'm on a slow-boiling Woody Allen phase this year.

Ah, that must have been great! I loved the feel the black and white format gave. Especially during the scene where they run into that exploratorium or space musuem and all you can see are the outlines of them. So beautiful. It really makes me want to go to New York. I haven't been there yet.

Woody Allen seems to have both an apprechiation of the more depressing and meloncholy life issues and finding great humour in them, not unlike a certain person I know...

He really does. I love that about him.

I've seen Celebrity awhile back on IFC, but it's been so long, I would have to watch it again to really comment on it.

Today I watched Radio Days by him. It was pretty funny. It told the story of a man looking back on his childhood memories of the listening to the radio and how it effected him and other people in the town. I'd definitely recommend it.

Tags
film movies
Back
Top Bottom