The Chameleons thread

Chickpea

pithy yet degenerate
I couldn't find a non-archived thread about the Chameleons, so I'll start a new one! Any fans here? Easily one of my top 5 all-time favorite bands for many years now—in all of their associated projects and various incarnations.

I just received an email notification that their remastered Peel Sessions are available for pre-order. As with all Chameleons reissues, I'm sure it'll be well worth the money! They are incapable of releasing anything substandard.
http://thechameleons.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=19733

19733.jpg

Order direct from the official store and receive an exclusive enamel key ring free with your order. We also have an exclusive bundle of both formats at a reduced price.

Covering sessions from 1981, 1983 and 1984, the band are captured in bullish mood, free of the contractual worries that choked their career, and free to do what they always enjoyed most, making music.

Near-live recordings bursting with passion and youthful energy. Early versions of songs from their first two albums, including a few rarities and alternative versions. All tracks restored and re-mastered in 2014.

Released by Blue Apple Music in conjunction with BBC Music. The vinyl edition contains two x 180g vinyl + digital download in a gatefold sleeve, featuring brand new cover art from guitarist Reg Smithies and exclusive scrapbook cuttings from Dave Fielding’s personal collection. The vinyl plays at 45rpm for maximum sound quality.

This album is released with the full support of the band.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the chameleons have done since there early days, but the sleeve of this album is another shocker always thought the cover art let the music down, second rate art school design. I often wondered with a little more money for design would they have been more successful?

Billybu69

Love the chameleons have done since there early days, but the sleeve of this album is another shocker always thought the cover art let the music down, second rate art school design. I often wondered with a little more money for design would they have been more successful?

Hahaha, I know, but at least it's still Reg's work. It's not my taste AT ALL, but I've come to love it in its own way over the years because that bad "art student surrealism" thing he does has become their visual identity. (I liked his artwork a little better before he went digital, but isn't that always the case…sigh.)

One of my favorite things about the Chameleons has always been their total lack of any kind of "look" as a band. Mark Burgess looks cool as f*** these days, but really they were just a bunch of skinny guys with home haircuts and bad sweaters. Reg's paintings have always kind of fit in their own weird way.

I had a few conversations with Mark and Tony S. a while back doing a design overhaul of the Chams Vox website. I very briefly felt like I was making progress and that it might actually happen, but I think my ideas were a little too…minimalist. Their site is still a visual mess, but it is what it is. They're DIY guys, and I love them for it.

Back
Top Bottom