The comeback years

William Fisher

Listening face down
Hello,

I've made a compilation for a friend who likes The Smiths and kind of lost interest post Viva Hate. I decided that mixing up 1988-2007 stuff with post 2004 stuff doesn't work. So, here is my tracklist for "the comeback years" - post 2004. Obvious omissions are First of the Gang to Die and Irish Blood, English Heart - but I've heard them too many times and think that certain album tracks and B-Sides (even cover versions) are better. I'd be interested in what people think of this as a playlist... I think I favour songs where the music is actually half decent. That's How People Grow Up is the exception. I think the music is turgid and grim but the lyrics hit a nerve.

Dear God, Please Help Me
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
To Me You Are a Work of Art
Let Me Kiss You
You Have Killed Me
A Song from Under the Floorboards
My Dearest Love
All the Lazy Dykes
Shame is the Name
Friday Mourning

I Will See You in Far Off Places
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Human Being
Teenage Dad on His Estate
Life is a Pigsty
Good Looking Man About Town
That's How People Grow Up
Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed
The Never-Played Symphonies
Drive In Saturday (live)

- - - Updated - - -

I meant 1988-1997

If you're intent on keeping 'That's How People Grow Up', I would remove 'Drive-In Saturday' and replace it with 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore'.

Yep - It's Not Your Birthday Anymore was the next in line. I really like Morrissey's interpretation of Drive In Saturday, though. Maybe INYBA should replace something else...

But, thanks. I completely get your point. I always think It's Not Your Birthday... is an attempt at capturing the same emotions as Life is a Pigsty or That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, but doesn't quite get there...

Yep - It's Not Your Birthday Anymore was the next in line. I really like Morrissey's interpretation of Drive In Saturday, though. Maybe INYBA should replace something else...

But, thanks. I completely get your point. I always think It's Not Your Birthday... is an attempt at capturing the same emotions as Life is a Pigsty or That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, but doesn't quite get there...

I disagree with Viva; I've never liked Birthday but have always loved Drive-In Saturday.

You may be sick of Irish Blood English Heart and First Of The Gang To Die, and I understand that, but they are very good pop songs and I'd not forsake them when making a compilation to entice a new fan. After all, you're sick of them, but they're brand new to someone who hasn't heard them 729,000 times.

That's How People Grow Up is...I've never truly warmed up to that song. The lyrics, like many on Refusal, are a step above asinine.

Lazy Dykes is a god-awful abortion of potential given the music. The lyrics are too absurd to discuss. Same with Shame is the Name...terrible.

I'd substitute I'm Playing Easy To Get and Christian Dior.

I'd lose To Me You Are A Work Of Art, unless you want to give the impression that Morrissey is 15. I'd put Ganglord in it's place...same tune but with swagger, and much better lyrics.

Thanks for the input. Interesting points - although I can't agree with your dismissal of All the Lazy Dykes and Shame is the Name. Oh well, each to their own... Let's face it, very few of these songs come close to his best work... I wouldn't say that we're scraping the barrel, but...

As for To Me You Are A Work of Art... Isn't that the point? He does still think like a 15 year old.

Thanks for replying.

This is a good list! I would add All You Need is Me , Friday Mourning, Christian Diorand It's not Your Birthday Anymore. I would omit Shame is the Name, That's How People Grow Up, Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed and at least one of the three covers. And if the objective is to reintroduce Morrissey I would include Irish Blood and First of the Gang, it's not like they were such mega hits everyone is sick to death of them.

All the Lazy Dykes is an excellent song, but I have to agree Shame is one of M's worst.

Oh Yeah, what about Ganglord?? Maybe bump My Dearest Love, a good but largely unremarkable song.

Wow. I quite like Shame is the Name!

Thanks for the input. Interesting points - although I can't agree with your dismissal of All the Lazy Dykes and Shame is the Name. Oh well, each to their own... Let's face it, very few of these songs come close to his best work... I wouldn't say that we're scraping the barrel, but...

As for To Me You Are A Work of Art... Isn't that the point? He does still think like a 15 year old.

Thanks for replying.

Another thing is, I'd whittle it down to one disc. Double disc sets and such are for seasoned fans...otherwise that's a lot of information to innundate someone with who is not familiar with him.

There's plenty of good stuff to choose from in that three album period (plus another two album's worth of outtakes.) I'd use the less-is-more approach and pick maybe the 14 or 15 best. Keep it concise and non-demanding. That's a good rule when making any mix.

Back
Top Bottom