The Decemberists' Colin Meloy on the trouble with being a Morrissey fan - NME

The Decemberists on life in Trump’s America, and the trouble with being a Morrissey fan - NME

Excerpt:

Meanwhile, we also asked Meloy about his current feelings on Morrissey. For his debut solo outing in 2005, he recorded six covers for the EP ‘Colin Meloy Sings Morrissey’. However, the frontman admitted that his fandom didn’t stretch as far as the former Smiths‘ singer’s recent work – or his string of controversial comments.

“I’m still absolutely invested, in a certain era of his work,” Meloy told NME. “I thought there was a lot of great stuff on the 2004 record ‘You Are The Quarry’. To me that was a return to form because I had ‘Maladjusted’ and ‘South Paw Grammar’. I had kind of fallen away. My thing with Morrissey is I that I just wish he had different songwriting partners. I feel like his guitar wall, arena rock thing it just doesn’t work. During the era of ‘Bona Drag’ and ‘Kill Uncle’, there was a lot of really weird, interesting decisions being made. And also he’s a terrible person!”

Asked if he was able to celebrate an individual’s art from their views, Meloy replied: “I think with Morrissey you’re primed for that. It was no secret that he was a terrible person, I think going way back. Even as a teenager. He’s nobody that you want to spend that much time with. He’s the one hero of mine who I haven’t met who I think I’m OK with not ever having met. But I think that’s sort of something that we have to grapple with.

“Like with Woody Allen, ‘Crimes And Misdemeanours’ is one of my favourite movies of all time. But how do you divorce that from the guy who made it who is sort of a sociopath? We’re kind of figuring it out as it goes along. It’s awful.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Another bearded idiot liberal hick regurgitating nonsense.
"Morrissey is a terrible person cause he has some questionable political views that don't jive with mine."
Haha Good! Hope it ruined your adolescent memories of frolicking in the fields with a cock eyed inbred flozy while listening to 'Ask' on your walkman.... You insufferable buffoon of mediocrity.

The Decemberists are really rather good.

The fact is: Morrissey can tell anything he want, it is his right.
Even defend Spacey or Weinstein.
But the policy of Morrissey is: I have right, the others (medias, critics, in fact all the poeple who don't think same as him) have wrong.

It is his absolut right to say or think this, it is his problem if he think he have right. It's what he make since 35 years.... Why change.

Especially if some fans follow him and defend him on each topic (wrong or right).
Morrissey could say the most atrocious or the most false things (and it has already done so in recent years) on any subject that somes fans will be on the forums to say he's right.

If tomorrow, he say that the Titanic doesn't sunk or that the earth is flat, you can be sure that in the following hours.... sorry... following minutes some peoples will say that's true!
We bet?

The Decemberists are what you get if you were to put They Might Be Giants and Mumford & Sons in a menage a trois with a lubed up thesaurus. f***ing horrid, horrid, band, and pretentious assholes in real life too.

Your valid opinion, but not one I can agree with on any level. They are an exceptional live band - I've seen them 6 times and been blown away each performance. Their albums are a mixed bag (the new one is a bit of a challenge) but they have a core base of songs which are some of the most intelligent and engaging of the last 20 years.

If you follow their Twitter feeds you will see that they are the least pretentious band around. If Colin Meloy was any more self-deprecating he would simply fall over.

You might not agree with what he said - which has some worth, but the comparison is clumsy - and you might not like their music, but to make claims that simply are not true undermines your post. So there!

Last edited:
Autobiography appears to have tipped him over the edge - Colin's view on Autobiography in 2013 (worth a read):

Colin Meloy (The Decemberists) Talks Morrissey’s Autobiography.
http://www.talkhouse.com/colin-meloy-the-decemberists-talks-morrisseys-autobiography/

Regards,
FWD.

Nice. I hadn't read that before. Can't really deny that it's full of recriminations of people but I expect that being a morrissey fan. I guess I'm just numb to it maybe. I'll also say that in between all those recriminations were some really funny lines and stories of car rides and people on ledges trying to gain entry to his thoughts on perhaps having a child. Even the resentment filled stories were told in a funny way like the roach hotel tour story etc

Update: Colin Meloy has now also been added to the official 'Banned List', and will be stopped from entering any future shows.

The Decemberists made a anti-Semitic song called "Jew lie, Jew lie". Colin Meloy is a terrible person.

This explains Skinny's pro Decemberist outburst, once he read the above. I give it a day before he becomes the no l online Decemberist expert.

Your valid opinion, but not one I can agree with on any level. They are an exceptional live band - I've seen them 6 times and been blown away each performance. Their albums are a mixed bag (the new one is a bit of a challenge) but they have a core base of songs which are some of the most intelligent and engaging of the last 20 years.

If you follow their Twitter feeds you will see that they are the least pretentious band around. If Colin Meloy was any more self-deprecating he would simply fall over.

You might not agree with what he said - which has some worth, but the comparison is clumsy - and you might not like their music, but to make claims that simply are not true undermines your post. So there!
Where you see intelligent and engaging, I see calculated try-hard nonsense. It's a Portland thing.

Where you see intelligent and engaging, I see calculated try-hard nonsense. It's a Portland thing.

Fair enough. I'm a bumpkin Englander so possibly don't fully understand many of the tropes and references. You would probably run a mile given what you have said, but it is well worth seeing them live. Tickets for Rock City in November are already pinned to the wall, even if the new album is a bit patchy. They are charging £30, with a support act and in a decent venue...Moz, if you are reading.

I don't think Morrissey is a bad person at all though he certainly can be a bigmouth and an asshole sometimes.
As for Woody Allen, aside from being a genius director I dont see why he is a sociopath either.

Fair enough. I'm a bumpkin Englander so possibly don't fully understand many of the tropes and references. You would probably run a mile given what you have said, but it is well worth seeing them live. Tickets for Rock City in November are already pinned to the wall, even if the new album is a bit patchy. They are charging £30, with a support act and in a decent venue...Moz, if you are reading.
I was shocked to hear them go synth heavy disco music on the latest. (Yes, I looked into it.) I'm an Oregonian, and was bartending in Portland as they were coming up and had less than favorable interactions with Colin and co- they weren't as bad as Isaac Brock but I at least got to see him literally fall on his face piss drunk so that was entertaining- but I will admit personal bias. But hey, all art is subjective and I know my opinion is pretty much howling into the void. Basically, I don't care if a person likes Mariah Carey if it brings them happiness. I hope the show is good, but I can't help but think that their new material will clash horribly with the old, sound-wise.

I don't think Morrissey is a bad person at all though he certainly can be a bigmouth and an asshole sometimes.
As for Woody Allen, aside from being a genius director I dont see why he is a sociopath either.
Perhaps it has something to do with him sexually grooming his adopted daughter and marrying her. That does make a person taste vomit at the back of the throat just a teensy bit.

Another bearded idiot liberal hick regurgitating nonsense.
"Morrissey is a terrible person cause he has some questionable political views that don't jive with mine."
Haha Good! Hope it ruined your adolescent memories of frolicking in the fields with a cock eyed inbred flozy while listening to 'Ask' on your walkman.... You insufferable buffoon of mediocrity.

Indeed, my friend, indeed.

The Decemberists have pretty much taken over as my favourite band. At least, favourite active band. I usually find Meloy to be pretty level headed and I think he is here ... he's voicing what I think a lot of people grapple with. There are so many people who shit all over Morrissey on this website over and over and who just will not go away. They won't admit it, but they have this grapple too where they get agitated by him, but they love him too. I'm the same, although I'm probably not agitated as much as a lot here .. I can mostly tune it out as white noise and enjoy the bits I do like. Meloy would be the same, he only recently got a 'Moz' tattoo so he holds a fair bit of love.

Update: Colin Meloy has now also been added to the official 'Banned List', and will be stopped from entering any future shows.

I hope not. He should be invited to see the sellouts with his own eyes. Morrissey is a very nice person who has his own opinion about a lot of topics. He has his own independent way of making a lot of things and -mainly- he is a great artist, a living legend. I'm tired of reading people trashing him in online sites such as NME so I decided life is too short for reading all the rubbish people say about an artist I like this much. The Decemberists will remain unlistened in the playlist of my life and nobody will care. Life goes on and Morrissey will make another album, and another, and another. Things flow. :)

Last edited:
total assface:

yf8i68hxxs2sa7mfmdmi.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom