The Decemberists' Colin Meloy on the trouble with being a Morrissey fan - NME

The Decemberists on life in Trump’s America, and the trouble with being a Morrissey fan - NME

Excerpt:

Meanwhile, we also asked Meloy about his current feelings on Morrissey. For his debut solo outing in 2005, he recorded six covers for the EP ‘Colin Meloy Sings Morrissey’. However, the frontman admitted that his fandom didn’t stretch as far as the former Smiths‘ singer’s recent work – or his string of controversial comments.

“I’m still absolutely invested, in a certain era of his work,” Meloy told NME. “I thought there was a lot of great stuff on the 2004 record ‘You Are The Quarry’. To me that was a return to form because I had ‘Maladjusted’ and ‘South Paw Grammar’. I had kind of fallen away. My thing with Morrissey is I that I just wish he had different songwriting partners. I feel like his guitar wall, arena rock thing it just doesn’t work. During the era of ‘Bona Drag’ and ‘Kill Uncle’, there was a lot of really weird, interesting decisions being made. And also he’s a terrible person!”

Asked if he was able to celebrate an individual’s art from their views, Meloy replied: “I think with Morrissey you’re primed for that. It was no secret that he was a terrible person, I think going way back. Even as a teenager. He’s nobody that you want to spend that much time with. He’s the one hero of mine who I haven’t met who I think I’m OK with not ever having met. But I think that’s sort of something that we have to grapple with.

“Like with Woody Allen, ‘Crimes And Misdemeanours’ is one of my favourite movies of all time. But how do you divorce that from the guy who made it who is sort of a sociopath? We’re kind of figuring it out as it goes along. It’s awful.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay but look at the other side. "reelfountains" post makes it pretty plain why people do "jump on a cause."

Kids are "curious" and women are "sluts" and if you say so the "brainwashed sheep" will attack you on twitter with a #hashtag you don't like.

I'm done with this one. You can have the last word.
Yes, the women I mentioned are sluts, guaranteed. But of course to you it means all women. All men bad, all women victims. All white people bad, all black people victims. That's the modern way. No thinking required.

Yes, the women I mentioned are sluts, guaranteed. But of course to you it means all women. All men bad, all women victims. All white people bad, all black people victims. That's the modern way. No thinking required.
You're quite right. Seems that racist is becoming the new stereotype for white people.
To Woody's defence, he never adopted Soon Yi. She was Mia's adopted daughter, therefore, there was no incest, therefore, he was not be convicted. Woody and Soon Yi's marriage lasted well over 20 years. Why don't people mind their own f***ing business? Why is nobody going after the polygamists? Freedom of religion? Give me a f***ing break.

You're quite right. Seems that racist is becoming the new stereotype for white people.
To Woody's defence, he never adopted Soon Yi. She was Mia's adopted daughter, therefore, there was no incest, therefore, he was not be convicted. Woody and Soon Yi's marriage lasted well over 20 years. Why don't people mind their own f***ing business? Why is nobody going after the polygamists? Freedom of religion? Give me a f***ing break.
The latest is people who are racist against their own colour. They come in one variety: white (and usually privileged). They're given everything they want from birth (own bedroom, good education etc.) and have nothing to feel passionate about so it all turns inwards as they condemn their own class and colour. It's not uncommon now to hear phrases like, 'I saw a sea of white faces and felt disgust...' I read a famous English actor saying that yesterday. But then again I suppose actors are the biggest hypocrites...

The latest is people who are racist against their own colour. They come in one variety: white (and usually privileged). They're given everything they want from birth (own bedroom, good education etc.) and have nothing to feel passionate about so it all turns inwards as they condemn their own class and colour. It's not uncommon now to hear phrases like, 'I saw a sea of white faces and felt disgust...' I read a famous English actor saying that yesterday. But then again I suppose actors are the biggest hypocrites...

None of them live in the ghetto. Dickheads on auto stroke.

Perhaps it has something to do with him sexually grooming his adopted daughter and marrying her. That does make a person taste vomit at the back of the throat just a teensy bit.

I've read countless people saying the same stupid thing about him, no offence, and it just takes a little common sense to realise that that would not be possible. There is not a single country in the world where someone can marry his own daughter, biological or adopted, so that makes no sense at all.

Soon-Yi is not Allen's adopted daughter, she was adopted by Mia Farrow and his former husband long before marrying Woody Allen so she is not a relative of Allen in any way.

Yes, she was the adopted daugher of his wife, you can criticise him for that but they've been married for 30 years now so I believe you will agree it wasn't a simple fleeting desire.

I've read countless people saying the same stupid thing about him, no offence, and it just takes a little common sense to realise that that would not be possible. There is not a single country in the world where someone can marry his own daughter, biological or adopted, so that makes no sense at all.

Soon-Yi is not Allen's adopted daughter, she was adopted by Mia Farrow and his former husband long before marrying Woody Allen so she is not a relative of Allen in any way.

Yes, she was the adopted daugher of his wife, you can criticise him for that but they've been married for 30 years now so I believe you will agree it wasn't a simple fleeting desire.
You can argue semantics on pedophiliac desires all you want. I'll excuse myself from that party.

I deal with those people every time I leave my home. If you discuss social problems and that they all blame EU which has become this giant scapegoat for everything despite every parliament in every european country still deciding over a lot of things. When Sweden closed the borders they suddenly didn't blame EU but our government.

Politics is made up of people in it to stuff their own pockets and gain a variety of advantages at work and socially and even as a way to get the post apartments downtown.

Please tell us who teh actor is!

Your post is brilliant and you have lived a real life.

"Becoming"!

LOL

I deal with those people every time I leave my home. If you discuss social problems and that they all blame EU which has become this giant scapegoat for everything despite every parliament in every european country still deciding over a lot of things. When Sweden closed the borders they suddenly didn't blame EU but our government.

Politics is made up of people in it to stuff their own pockets and gain a variety of advantages at work and socially and even as a way to get the post apartments downtown.

Please tell us who teh actor is!

Your post is brilliant and you have lived a real life.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom