The dreadful state of UK ticket sales

I recently wrote a brief exploration of how drastically Morrissey's ticket sale figures have plummeted in the UK, with special attention given to the startlingly low sales for the upcoming Leeds gig.

With two weeks to go until the show, huge quantities of seats remain unsold in some of the best blocks in the venue while standing floor tickets also remain.

Full article can be seen online here.

1*LsogXWhUXkVhjvajZMKTgw.jpeg

Mmm, right - so they have made 65% of the capacity available and he hasn’t sold that out, the original poster reckons there are 1000 tickets of that allocation available. The upper tier holds about 5000 people. Do you really think he’s going to sell another 4000 tickets between now and then?
A couple of thousand definitely. He will be playing in front of something like 8,000-9,000 in Leeds. I don’t know how many people he played in front of in 2018 in Leeds. But that’s the only reliable comparison one can make and not draw conclusions simply because you want to believe them as the writer has done here.

Because the concert is not tonight but in 16 days. Closer to album release means more publicity and more ticket sales.

Prove these assumptions of yours! How dare Solo allow you to make these assumptions. It's sickening.

See previous comments by Pewless for this to make sense.

Morrissey is an alt-right poster boy.

Anyone interested enough in research only has to review the increase in alt-right propaganda in this forum since 2017 and it's increasing acceptability within this forum.

Devoted UK fans from '83 onwards left his side in their thousands when it became clear to them that Morrissey was no longer 'flirting' with racism but was actually promoting it. Some who hung on went to the 1st set of UK shows in 2018. For some the attending crowd (aggressive/disinterested) was enough to convince them that it had all changed: the atmosphere poisoned, their fears justified.

Come the 2nd round of shows in 2018 Morrissey couldn't sell out a single venue with ticket sales in a dire straits. The majority of his devoted fan base gone.

Morrissey is as conservative as they come Anytime he opens his mouth about any sensitive subject he makes a arrogant mess of it because he thinks he knows best. If someone wants to call him left-wing I'd say "yes, as 'left-wing' as 'Sir' Keir Starmer". He has been establishment (small e) for most of his working life.

He has quite single-handedly provided a comfortable home and safe space for alt-right commentary in this forum that is: obsessed with attacking gay men with paedophilic and grooming hatred, promoting an alt-right Christian agenda dismissive of the experiences of those involved in sexual violence and is intent on demeaning black people, jewish people, immigrants and Muslims. Morrissey has enabled this whether conscious of it or not.

Morissey recently claimed "he had no issue with The House of Windsor". This gives more than an indication of just how fickle the man is.

He used to a sweet boy but now ....
You are quite simply deranged...now elevanses are over, back to work Ian!!!

Hello Thewlis, I’ve been listening to Morrissey since 1992; I’ve been to many gigs and Morrissey related events.

Through out that time I’ve come across several of the people who are now full of venom on this site. I’d like to make something crystal: these people haven’t ‘changed’; they have always been utterly sickening and slimy. And for me, as a working class Morrissey fan, they came across as exploitative, condescending, self-centred f***ers who would try and set fire to any project which didn’t have them at the centre.

I didn’t trust the shit stains, and I stayed well clear of the c***s even as our paths crossed: This is the reason that I didn’t write on this site for nearly two decades, despite accessing it for news for about 18 years.

In a nutshell, the haters used Morrissey as a means of supporting their own fragile egos. And they perceived a lot of the fan base as lesser beings, and a threat to the attention they thirsted: that was never going to work out. Morrissey was never going to pander to them.

And now, by f***, they want to make sure Morrissey and those who continue to support him pay for that. Some have made it clear they want people jobless, some want blood; most would go away for cash. They’ve always been that type.

" ... a working class Morrissey fan". Well, of course, with such credentials why would anyone possibly question the veracity of your claims.

Everyone. Everyone! An alleged working class person has spoken. Clear the forum!

A couple of thousand definitely. He will be playing in front of something like 8,000-9,000 in Leeds. I don’t know how many people he played in front of in 2018 in Leeds. But that’s the only reliable comparison one can make and not draw conclusions simply because you want to believe them as the writer has done here.

Max 65% of the 13781 capacity then?

Perhaps next time he'll be more realistic and play somewhere like the Brudenell Social Club (cap. 400.)

How many of the 13,781 were sold in 2018 when he played there? In 16 days let’s compare and draw conclusions then? Are you listening @FatGayVegan ?

Well seeing as whole arena was available for sale I would suggest more than 65%.

I can’t see them opening the upper tier at this late date if the rest of the arena has so many seats available?

It doesn’t though. Leeds is not the UK, and yet the Leeds show is what your article is about. And even for Leeds you have given us no evidence as to how many tickets have been sold. Also you make bizarre assumptions as to the reasoning behind the assumption that ticket sales may be poor. How many people did Morrissey play in front of last time he played Leeds? And how many this time? If it 50 per cent less then you could have a case but even then there are other reasons you would need to consider.

Qualify these assumptions of yours "Because the concert is not tonight but in 16 days. Closer to album release means more publicity and more ticket sales."

The 'bizarre' assumptions are based on information currently available online - not at all bizarre.

You screeched and screeched that Paris had sold out when the facts (available online) proved you to be stupid or a liar - you choose.

So, in trying to work this out, in actual numbers:

Full FDA capacity is c.13.5k
Minus the upper tier - which Surface thinks is 5k.
Leaves total allocation at c.8.5k, which is the 65% available capacity Surface mentions. Moz must have agreed/been aware of this initial allocation & felt happy to proceed on that basis.

If there are, allegedly c.1k tickets remaining, as per Surface's comment, then that would suggest c.7.5k have been sold.
Thewlis, your figure of 9k isn't therefore realistic or achievable, based on the current % allocation. I'd be happy to see 8k achieved, which is pretty close to selling out the 65% allocation..

So, it's all 'guesstimation' at the moment as far as I can make out, & unless you worked in the ticket office, where all this would be monitored, you couldn't get an accurate figure on tickets sold.
The pro-Moz people will estimate higher sales, whereas the anti-Moz crew will always estimate down. Such is life, but all in all it's quite futile.

So, we'll not actually know anything until the event, or afterwards, unless it officially sells out & there are simply no tickets available.

Well seeing as whole arena was available for sale I would suggest more than 65%.

I can’t see them opening the upper tier at this late date if the rest of the arena has so many seats available?

No chance of opening other tiers. He may cancel Leeds due to 'logistical reasons

On unsold seats alone there's an approximate financial deficit of £50,000

Leaves total allocation at c.8.5k, which is the 65% available capacity Surface mentions. Moz must have agreed/been aware of this initial allocation & felt happy to proceed on that basis.

If there are, allegedly c.1k tickets remaining, as per Surface's comment, then that would suggest c.7.5k have been sold.
Thewlis, your figure of 9k isn't therefore realistic or achievable, based on the current % allocation. I'd be happy to see 8k achieved, which is pretty close to selling out the 65% allocation..

So, it's all 'guesstimation' at the moment as far as I can make out, & unless you worked in the ticket office, where all this would be monitored, you couldn't get an accurate figure on tickets sold.
The pro-Moz people will estimate higher sales, whereas the anti-Moz crew will always estimate down. Such is life, but all in all it's quite futile.

So, we'll not actually know anything until the event, or afterwards, unless it officially sells out & there are simply no tickets available.
True, and then there is Wembley, which is also in the UK. I estimate it will be around 10,000 attendance. All in all (and at 80 £ a ticket) really succesful for pre-album release gigs.

True, and then there is Wembley, which is also in the UK. I estimate it will be around 10,000 attendance. All in all (and at 80 £ a ticket) really succesful for pre-album release gigs.

I'll be at Wembley. I'll tell you what it's like.

Sounds like it may be time to fire up another spreadsheet. ;)

So, in relation to FDA Leeds, looking at the maths, & the expectation from Moz, the maximum expected amount of seats sales would only have ever been 8.5k (the 65% allocation). Anything above this would be considered a bonus.

If, & with the strong caveat of basing things on hearsay posted on here, by the good & the bad, he's currently sold 7.5k, & with the chance of this increasing between now & the day of the concert, then I would not class this as a "dreadful state of UK ticket sales" as per this misleading, maligning, provocative & click-baiting thread title...it is actually meeting expectation.

It appears to me that this FatGayVegan has just posted this to put himself, & his cause(s), in the limelight, in much the same way as that Glasgow record shop (Monorail Music) tried to do.

I think FGV has achieved his limelight moment, but actually failed quite spectacularly in his wider mission to undermine Moz, & the mini-tour.

Hello Thewlis, I’ve been listening to Morrissey since 1992; I’ve been to many gigs and Morrissey related events.

Through out that time I’ve come across several of the people who are now full of venom on this site. I’d like to make something crystal: these people haven’t ‘changed’; they have always been utterly sickening and slimy. And for me, as a working class Morrissey fan, they came across as exploitative, condescending, self-centred f***ers who would try and set fire to any project which didn’t have them at the centre.

I didn’t trust the shit stains, and I stayed well clear of the c***s even as our paths crossed: This is the reason that I didn’t write on this site for nearly two decades, despite accessing it for news for about 18 years.

In a nutshell, the haters used Morrissey as a means of supporting their own fragile egos. And they perceived a lot of the fan base as lesser beings, and a threat to the attention they thirsted: that was never going to work out. Morrissey was never going to pander to them.

And now, by f***, they want to make sure Morrissey and those who continue to support him pay for that. Some have made it clear they want people jobless, some want blood; most would go away for cash. They’ve always been that type.
Have you been starting gangster films and then falling asleep in your chair, Lesley?

Tags
morrissey racism ticketmaster tour

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom