The Durutti Column’s Vini Reilly suffers minor stroke

The Seeker of Good Songs

The Durutti Column’s Vini Reilly suffers ‘minor stroke,’ is ‘well on the road to recovery’

from 80s alternative music, college rock, indie // slicing up eyeballs by Slicing Up Eyeballs
vini2007.jpg

Guitarist Vini Reilly — frontman of iconic Factory Records post-punk outfit The Durutti Column — recently suffered “a minor stroke,” according to a post today on the band’s website, “but after four days in hospital and then discharging himself he is well on the road to recovery.”
According to the post, Reilly, who turned 57 early last month, is “slightly unsteady on his feet and has lost some feeling in his left hand.” Nevertheless, the acclaimed guitarist is said to be “is in good spirits, (and) has been regularly playing his Juan Montero Spanish guitar and is steadily rebuilding his strength.”
Reilly’s apparently wasting no time; according to the Durutti Column site, he’s already booked a recording session beginning Tuesday with bandmate Keir Stewart to start recording the group’s next album. As for live performance, Reilly’s next appearance is Oct. 20 in London as part of Paul Morley’s “The Tony Wilson Interviews.”
In other news, the Durutti Column’s 1989 album Vini Reilly will receive a 2CD expanded reissue at the end of the year, featuring newly uncovered demos and a remastered edition of the album. The tracklist and new artwork — incorporating “some of the design from the aborted original design” — have not yet been revealed, nor has the release date.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Re: The Durutti Column’s Vini Reilly suffers ‘minor stroke,’

I'm glad it was only a 'minor' stroke. It seems like he'll be back to normal in short order.

I look forward to Durutti Column albums almost as much as I do Morrissey's. The last three records in particular are wonderful. Reilly is an extraordinary talent.

Re: The Durutti Column’s Vini Reilly suffers ‘minor stroke,’

I hope he gets well soon.

Listening to 'Viny Reilly' is like the instrumental version of Viva Hate - simply beautiful.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom