The Durutti Column / Vini Reilly + WOMAD Live (small Morrissey content) remaster

fbn244.jpg

Factory Benelux presents expanded 2xLP and 2xCD editions of Vini Reilly, the seventh studio album by Manchester ensemble The Durutti Column. Originally released by Factory Records in 1989, the album has now been newly remastered with 23 bonus tracks including companion single WOMAD Live.

Produced by Vini Reilly and Stephen Street (The Smiths, Morrissey, Blur), the original working title of the Vini Reilly album was The Durutti Column Sampler. ‘People describe them as found samples and found voices,’ explained Vini at the time. ‘I always build up a catalogue of interesting loops and voice samples and stuff. Then I forget where I got them from a lot of the time, which is quite convenient… A lot of the time I manipulate the sample anyway, so it’s singing my tune, rather than the original tune.’

Stand-out tracks include Otis, Love No More and My Country. ‘The tune always comes from playing the guitar,’ added Vini. ‘As soon as I pick a guitar up I’ll come up with a tune. I don’t know whether it’s good or bad - but there’s always a tune there.’

The sleeve itself samples Bob Dylan circa Highway 61 Revisited, showcasing an iconic portrait by Mark Warner. Indeed much about the album flirts with mainstream culture, being a deliberate attempt to position Reilly as a ‘pop’ artist following his chart-topping collaboration with Morrissey on Viva Hate. This collaboration was further celebrated on bonus track For Steven Patrick.

Other bonus tracks on this 2020 double-disc remaster include a multitude of demos and outtakes from the same period (some previously issued on The Sporadic Recordings in 1989), plus all four tracks from pristine performance CD WOMAD Live. Recorded at the WOMAD Festival in Cornwall in August 1988, the core Durutti duo of Vini Reilly and Bruce Mitchell are here augmented by Andy Connell on keys and Chinese opera singer Liu Sola.

The vinyl version is a 2xLP set pressed on black vinyl with a bonus clear vinyl 7-inch single. The gatefold sleeve is printed on white matt board, with this edition limited to 1000 copies.

2xCD tracklist:

Disc 1

1. Love No More
2. Pol in G
3. Opera I
4. People's Pleasure Park
5. Red Square
6. Finding the Sea
7. Otis
8. William B
9. They Work Every Day
10. Opera II
11. Homage to Catalonia
12. Requiem Again
13. My Country
14. Otis (WOMAD live)
15. English Landscape Tradition (WOMAD live)
16. Finding the Sea (WOMAD live)
17. Bordeaux (WOMAD live)

Disc 2

1. Opera II (demo)
2. Finding the Sea I
3. PPP (demo)
4. Juan Montero Sketch I
5. Sample Tune
6. Finding the Sea II
7. Juan Montero Sketch II
8. William B (demo)
9. Sketches on Stratocaster
10. Dry
11. Paradise Passage Road
12. Les Preger's Tune
13. Buddhist Prayer
14. Misere
15. Real Drums - Real Drummer
16. Pathway
17. Rob Grey's Elegy
18. Shirt No. 7
19. For Steven Patrick

Optional Disc 3

1. I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong

The vinyl is obviously going to be delayed as per RSD as a whole, but the CD and digital should be available.

Regards,
FWD.

Some strange old
View attachment 55652

Factory Benelux presents expanded 2xLP and 2xCD editions of Vini Reilly, the seventh studio album by Manchester ensemble The Durutti Column. Originally released by Factory Records in 1989, the album has now been newly remastered with 23 bonus tracks including companion single WOMAD Live.

Produced by Vini Reilly and Stephen Street (The Smiths, Morrissey, Blur), the original working title of the Vini Reilly album was The Durutti Column Sampler. ‘People describe them as found samples and found voices,’ explained Vini at the time. ‘I always build up a catalogue of interesting loops and voice samples and stuff. Then I forget where I got them from a lot of the time, which is quite convenient… A lot of the time I manipulate the sample anyway, so it’s singing my tune, rather than the original tune.’

Stand-out tracks include Otis, Love No More and My Country. ‘The tune always comes from playing the guitar,’ added Vini. ‘As soon as I pick a guitar up I’ll come up with a tune. I don’t know whether it’s good or bad - but there’s always a tune there.’

The sleeve itself samples Bob Dylan circa Highway 61 Revisited, showcasing an iconic portrait by Mark Warner. Indeed much about the album flirts with mainstream culture, being a deliberate attempt to position Reilly as a ‘pop’ artist following his chart-topping collaboration with Morrissey on Viva Hate. This collaboration was further celebrated on bonus track For Steven Patrick.

Other bonus tracks on this 2020 double-disc remaster include a multitude of demos and outtakes from the same period (some previously issued on The Sporadic Recordings in 1989), plus all four tracks from pristine performance CD WOMAD Live. Recorded at the WOMAD Festival in Cornwall in August 1988, the core Durutti duo of Vini Reilly and Bruce Mitchell are here augmented by Andy Connell on keys and Chinese opera singer Liu Sola.

The vinyl version is a 2xLP set pressed on black vinyl with a bonus clear vinyl 7-inch single. The gatefold sleeve is printed on white matt board, with this edition limited to 1000 copies.

2xCD tracklist:

Disc 1

1. Love No More
2. Pol in G
3. Opera I
4. People's Pleasure Park
5. Red Square
6. Finding the Sea
7. Otis
8. William B
9. They Work Every Day
10. Opera II
11. Homage to Catalonia
12. Requiem Again
13. My Country
14. Otis (WOMAD live)
15. English Landscape Tradition (WOMAD live)
16. Finding the Sea (WOMAD live)
17. Bordeaux (WOMAD live)

Disc 2

1. Opera II (demo)
2. Finding the Sea I
3. PPP (demo)
4. Juan Montero Sketch I
5. Sample Tune
6. Finding the Sea II
7. Juan Montero Sketch II
8. William B (demo)
9. Sketches on Stratocaster
10. Dry
11. Paradise Passage Road
12. Les Preger's Tune
13. Buddhist Prayer
14. Misere
15. Real Drums - Real Drummer
16. Pathway
17. Rob Grey's Elegy
18. Shirt No. 7
19. For Steven Patrick

Optional Disc 3

1. I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong

The vinyl is obviously going to be delayed as per RSD as a whole, but the CD and digital should be available.

Regards,
FWD.
Some strange old titles going on there, don't know any of his work other than with Moz but from the untrained eye it looks like one of those collections of odds and sods pulled from a long forgotten box in the attic. I'm probably totally wrong though.

A truly mesmerising album. Every music lover should own this.

Fab. Viva Vini Really. Thanks for the link.

í just ordered this, í think. It seemed to let me order the 2xVinyl + clear SPM 7" ~ but í thought that's an RSD release, so howzat?

Ordered the 'optional' 3-disc CD package anyway.

good guy vinni,hes had his troubles but hopefully hes over the worst.

Does anyone know what is included in the mp3 option?

Is the clear seven inch single "I know very well how I got My note wrong."

This is the version they should be releasing. It is far superior.

Last edited:
í got an e-mail this morning from Factory Benelux stating that both the vinyl packages & CDs have shipped. So í don't know what's happening with an RSD release of this. But mine are on their way.

í got an e-mail this morning from Factory Benelux stating that both the vinyl packages & CDs have shipped. So í don't know what's happening with an RSD release of this. But mine are on their way.

Just bought mine. Too good to risk missing.

Thanks for the post. I first came across Vini's work from Viva Hate in '92. About 10 yrs ago at a used record store I saw some Durutti Column records and knew Vini was in that band so I bought a copy of "Domo Arigato". I've been hooked ever since. Such great music. It sets a certain mood, which is one that I like to be in.

I met Johnny Marr a few years back and I could have asked him about Smiths stuff, etc. Instead I asked if he knew of Vini Reily, which he did and said that he first met him in 78 or 79.

Do yourself a favor to listen to Durutti Column!!

Thanks for the post. I first came across Vini's work from Viva Hate in '92. About 10 yrs ago at a used record store I saw some Durutti Column records and knew Vini was in that band so I bought a copy of "Domo Arigato". I've been hooked ever since. Such great music. It sets a certain mood, which is one that I like to be in.

I met Johnny Marr a few years back and I could have asked him about Smiths stuff, etc. Instead I asked if he knew of Vini Reily, which he did and said that he first met him in 78 or 79.

Do yourself a favor to listen to Durutti Column!!
For a second there I thought you said Viva Hate was made in '92. I was about to batter you silly for such sacrilege. Phew...

I listened to Obey The Time as my first listen of The Durutti Column six months ago and loved it.

Is the clear seven inch single "I know very well how I got My note wrong."

This is the version they should be releasing. It is far superior.

Agreed, would be nice if the full version was pressed on the 7"

Being Portuguese, Durutti Column is a personal favourite since the very beginning. Mainly because Vini and Portugal always had a special relationship. Has he often said, "In Portugal I feel at home"
He even released an album celebrating this friendship called "Amigos em Portugal" (friends in Portugal).
Like Morrissey, I mainly have his records on cd, and I would very much like to have his work on vinyl. So thank you for this post. Ordered and hopefully will arrive soon.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom