The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
w6 - Kopie.7.JPG

The Jayhawks - Mockingbird Time (2011)

Alt-country rock. Their 8th studio album, and the first studio album since 2003, which was the superb "Rainy Day Music".

For this album, Mark Olsen, former front man, returned to the band, after he had quit in 1995. Shortly after its release, Olsen left the band again, as for him and for Gary Louris, who had taken over the leading role on "Rainy Day Music", recording this album had been a negative experience.

w6 - Kopie-crop.JPG

In my opinion, it doesn't come close to RDM, but there are some highlights on this one as well. The album is a grower in some of its sections; with every listen there are new passages that are suddenly coming into bloom. Louris' and Olsen's harmonies are beautiful in an unusual way.

Best songs are the swampy rock song "High Water Blues", which is probably about the Mississippi floodings, and "Cinnamon Love", which displays some musical bonds to 16-Horsepower's version of "Sinnerman", and is also alluding to Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl".

Johnny Guitar Watson - Giant (1978)

w6 - Kopie-crop.2.JPG

Guitar Watson is a genius. From the beginning to the end of the album, this guy is playing with fire under his arse.

He was active from the 1950s - 90s, and this album belongs to his sophistifunk disco period. There are NO BALLADS on this album, just funkydisco tunes, sometimes it gets a bit bluesy like on "You Can Stay But The Noise Must Go". All songs should best be listened to in one go.

w6 - Kopie.2.JPG

The spin-clean record washer works fine for me. I don't use their liquid cleaning soap though, which is delivered with the package, as the labels often get wet when they are spinned in the washer. L'art du son works better for me, as it actually makes the water get into the grooves instead of just flowing down the record, so the labels stay dry (most of the time). And you only need a few drops of it. It also has an antistatic effect, that's why I also clean new records with it. Unfortunately, the washer cannot rinse the records.

So, what second-hand purchases of yours are waiting for their clean-up?

thanks spent. I for some reason thought you were manually washing. I may have to look into one of those machines...
the used vinyls I've bought over the last several months include:
AC/DC - Back In Black
The English Beat - What Is Beat?
The Beautiful South - Choke
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
INXS - Kick
Peter Gabriel - So
The Police - Every Breath You Take (The Singles)
Pop Will Eat Itself - This Is The Day, This Is The Hour, This Is This!
The Smiths - Shoplifters Of The World Unite
The Specials - The Specials
Various - Dance Craze
The Who - Who’s Greatest Hits
The Wonder Stuff - Hup

NOVALIS: Sommerabend [Summer Evening] (1976)

Does it contain a credit for the cover art? It's very nice. It reminds me of the pagan-themed art nouveau from some the Jugend covers.

Jugend_magazine_cover_1896.jpg

thanks spent. I for some reason thought you were manually washing. I may have to look into one of those machines...
the used vinyls I've bought over the last several months include:
AC/DC - Back In Black
The English Beat - What Is Beat?
The Beautiful South - Choke
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
INXS - Kick
Peter Gabriel - So
The Police - Every Breath You Take (The Singles)
Pop Will Eat Itself - This Is The Day, This Is The Hour, This Is This!
The Smiths - Shoplifters Of The World Unite
The Specials - The Specials
Various - Dance Craze
The Who - Who’s Greatest Hits
The Wonder Stuff - Hup
The washer is manual.
1660847242952.png

I remember that in the 80s, i listened to the Inxs and Ac/dc album, but somehow they got lost over the decades.
Where have you found yours?

Does it contain a credit for the cover art? It's very nice. It reminds me of the pagan-themed art nouveau from some the Jugend covers.

Jugend_magazine_cover_1896.jpg
Oh yes, thanks for reminding me. This beautiful Jugendstil cover art is by Maxfield Parrish. Quite unique and appealing.

I washed 11 albums today. It's reformation day today, pretty boring, a rainy and dismal affair. But thanks to Luther we don't have to work. I live a humble life, and i don't need any bigoted, hypocritical middlemen tellin me what to believe and how to stay in contact with the higher powers.

DSC_0013 - Kopie.JPG

While spin-cleaning the records, P. suddenly wanted to be entertained. So I gave him some of the catnip from the garden.
In general, P. does not sniff at catnip, and roll around in it on the floor, as he is supposed to do, but he just eats it, and off it goes.

20220918_101535 - Kopie.jpg
20220918_101553 - Kopie.jpg
20220918_101547 - Kopie.jpg

He knows how to enjoy life.

DSC_0014 - Kopie.JPG

It's quite an enjoyable swamp-rock record from 1969, reissued by the Bear Family Records label from Germany, that is focussing on 50s/60s rock'n'roll vintage music and soundtracks.

Quite amazing how many highly influential people have almost been forgotten.

CCR covered his Suzie-Q song, which is not on this album. All his songs have some punch though.

The washed records from last week are still in their drying rack on the table.
I got out these two today, to make some progress, cleaned the jackets, got them a new inner and outer sleeve, and then finished it off with a quick spray clean as well.
1 (2).JPG

Hunky Dory is a German pressing for RCA's best buy budget series, which was introduced in July 1980. It's a crackling affair altogether, but the sound quality is actually quite satisfying.
Ziggy Stardust is the 2020 Parlophone remastered reissue.
I bought these two in a package coz i had read an interview with Ken Scott who produced both of them.

1 (1).JPG

1 (4).JPG
1 (3).JPG

I am not really the biggest Bowie fan. I bought them mostly because of the Bowie hype and bc of that interview, which put these two albums into a meaningful context.

Any further info on that vinyl release available?
smihh.png

According to someone's comment on discogs, the sound quality of the DVD from 2006 seems to have been excellent.

Is it worth the 22 euronies?

smi - Kopie.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if it's just a coincidence that Iggy Pop's new album "Every Loser" (release date: Jan 2023) also features Chad Smith and Josh Klinghoffer. Have they shared the same studio with Morrissey at the time of recording?

Listening to Ziggy Stardust made me think about the passing of generations on this planet...
1 (2).JPG

That's what the generation of David Bowie is going to leave behind, among many other things. I guess that many of his generation who are still alive and those who have already died can (or could) easily identify with this record and might even say that it represents a sweeping impression of their time as human beings in their prime on this planet in the early 1970s. It's very much rooted in the mainstream musical expressions of its time. It reached millions, many already gone, some still alive.

I noticed some museal appreciation and respect growing inside me while listening. A whiff of melancholy came over me, the one that clings to images of animals gone extinct. I am not Dr Frankenstein, and i won't be able to bring them back to life. I am not a salesperson, and i am not interested in selling zombies. But it's quite interesting that it "roamed" the exact same planet that we all share. Inside planet earth, time does not exist. The further you move to the surface, the more fleeting things get. When we die, we'll get 6 or 7 feet closer. That's not much.

Side note: The first song on Hunky Dory is "Changes". When i edited this text just a minute ago, i received the notice "Your Changes have been saved." I find this consoling in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
m (2) - Kopie.JPG

Inspiring jazz-fusion music from Japan, 1974. Seems to have been a soundtrack, but i couldn't find any further information on that. The sort of music, i would take on a lonely island with me. Released on the Island label.

The new stylus for my turntable has arrived.

The difference is astonishing, to say the least. Just cost me 25 euronies.

But, many things, if not my whole life, have to be reevaluated now.

A new system of appreciation has to be introduced.

And all my records have to be listened to again, from scratch, and with fresh ears, to make a clean sweep.

It's like discovering the merits of a hot bath after a life of lukewarm showers.

I'm surprised what my old inexpensive turntable is capable of after all. It just needed a new stylus to be reanimated. It is shining like new.

My experience is unique, even though a lot of course has already been said about the importance of styluses.

Back
Top Bottom