The exclusive vinyl thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
Yes. Of course
Every so often I’ll play then in order of release. It’s a big effort to turn the records over so often though.
There should be a juke box for 12" singles.

It's Summer again, which means, step by step, there will be more time available soon. Time, though, is worth nothing, if the mind is occupied with too much job shit, but we hope it'll clear up within the next two weeks.
Anyways, shot down some records that had got in my way in the past few months. Can't remember when or why. But here we go.
z0 - Kopie.jpg

Info: Some more are scattered around the place, waitin to be retrieved an then washed and scrubbed.

Was listening to Rank earlier today. It's a 1988 GSA release. Everything about it is okay. I have to say that I am not a big fan of the Smiths' live recordings, and this album hasn't convinced me of the contrary, but I guess they had to wean them suicidal Smiths fans with something after the break-up in '87.

z1 - Kopie.jpg

The concert took place in Kilburn, London in 1986, recorded by the BBC, if I got that right, and while listening to Morrissey singing on my headphones, I thought I detected some signs of routine tiredness in his voice. But, could well be that I was looking for exactly that, routine tiredness, today, and wasn't able to notice much else. The vinyl quality of this copy is VG+ at best, lots of surface noise, which might have contributed to my impression of a rulebook slowdown.
Highlights: "The Boy" was rendered in a pretty spirited way, so was "I Know" and "Bigmouth". Couldn't detect any exceptional or impressive guitar work on this album.

I am tired now. I will listen to the next album, which is "The Cat" by the Incredible Jimmy Smiths. A good friend of mine will join me...
z2 - Kopie.jpg

I am thoroughly bedazzled by this scintillating copy of the 2013 limited Parlophone reissue of Kill Uncle...
y01.jpg

This is an immaculate (probably never-played) spic and span PERFECT ! copy that I have legally obtained for just a handful of euronies from a Swiss woman.

The sound is AMAZING! Was listening with my headphones on. Not one single crackle, and it felt as if I was listening to the album for the first time with Morrissey sitting on my lap. That's as close as it can get vinyl-wise.

I am not sure, if they had also remastered the 1991 original, because this reissue sounds way much better, especially the songs on the A-side. Some songs on the B-side lack the sparkling clarity of let's say "Our Frank" or "Sing your Song", but overall, the sound is outshining everything that I can find on my 1991 European Kill Uncle version, which, I have to admit, is probably just in VG+ condition. Still I believe that there is also a difference production-wise and with regard to the material, as the 2013 reissue is much heavier than the flimsy 1991 version.

yo11.jpg

I cleaned the original thoroughly as well, and still the difference can easily be discerned. Now that I look at it, the sheer amount of dead wax is also remarkable, as if they had forgotten some songs the first time round, and maybe they actually did.

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning I was listening to the 1975 Japanese (re-?) issue of Green River by Creedence Clearwater Revival from 1968 on the Fantasy label .
yo2.jpg

This copy sounds solid but throughout a bit damped and time-worn. The constant crackle has a hard edge to it, which of course fits the music well. After all, I will have to wash it again or send it in for some professional deep-cleaning.
My favorite song is "Wrote A Song For Everyone" on the A-Side. Not sure if this has been a hit single like "Bad Moon Rising" on the B-Side, but there is something in the lyrics which I find appealing.

The cover is made of sturdy and thick cardboard, yellowed, stained and smelly. The lyrics come in Japanese and English. The previous owner corrected some parts of em, which I like, coz we should all take a correct orthography more seriously in these times of superficial but nevertheless opinionated inaccuracy and lack of complexity.

y03.jpg

I am thoroughly bedazzled by this scintillating copy of the 2013 limited Parlophone reissue of Kill Uncle...
View attachment 74321

This is an immaculate (probably never-played) spic and span PERFECT ! copy that I have legally obtained for just a handful of euronies from a Swiss woman.

The sound is AMAZING! Was listening with my headphones on. Not one single crackle, and it felt as if I was listening to the album for the first time with Morrissey sitting on my lap. That's as close as it can get vinyl-wise.

I am not sure, if they had also remastered the 1991 original, because this reissue sounds way much better, especially the songs on the A-side. Some songs on the B-side lack the sparkling clarity of let's say "Our Frank" or "Sing your Song", but overall, the sound is outshining everything that I can find on my 1991 European Kill Uncle version, which, I have to admit, is probably just in VG+ condition. Still I believe that there is also a difference production-wise and with regard to the material, as the 2013 reissue is much heavier than the flimsy 1991 version.

View attachment 74322

I cleaned the original thoroughly as well, and still the difference can easily be discerned. Now that I look at it, the sheer amount of dead wax is also remarkable, as if they had forgotten some songs the first time round, and maybe they actually did.
I very rarely play the 2013 issue you quote above. I think it’s been ruined with the additions and subtractions.
FYI - there was a 1995 release on Parlophome -
Not in great numbers. Very rarely do they come up for sale, a bit like the 2013 issue nowadays. That can’t be found for love nor money for small shilling. Yet up to recently (2 years or so) it could be found quite easily for low £££.

:)

Bless Comrades:praying:

Comrades all vinyls needed payable in rubles, all
emergency buy, no vinyls at this moment all sold
in April.:sob:
it was better to sell now better to get again.
needed brave comrade who can land
in hmv and remove green Bd item from kulacks
and deliver to hq to Comrade T

xxx Comrade T

xxx Comrade T
Fear not blessed comrade, I’ll get mine and your green vinyl xx

Much love

I very rarely play the 2013 issue you quote above. I think it’s been ruined with the additions and subtractions.
FYI - there was a 1995 release on Parlophome -
Not in great numbers. Very rarely do they come up for sale, a bit like the 2013 issue nowadays. That can’t be found for love nor money for small shilling. Yet up to recently (2 years or so) it could be found quite easily for low £££.
Defo prefer the 2013 version for its organic arrangement of songs.
Whats the story behind this odd mid-90s KU reissue?

xxx Comrade T
Comrade T!
Your plight is my plight. The fat capitalist swines at hq hvm are currently trying to bring misery and discord upon the honourable masses of the international moz brigades.
Brave comrade E, who knew your late grandfather, heroic comrade R, sends you his genuine comisseration as well.
He was told by comrade V at the SMAD that the Central Committee is going to announce today that the class ememy hvm's ludicrous propaganda has been debunked and that they can feed their soylent green crumbs to their deluded british working class slaves and alcoholics instead.
Comrade T, we cannot thank you enough. What would we do without you? Incredible work. What a labor! Truly heroic!

Defo prefer the 2013 version for its organic arrangement of songs.
Whats the story behind this odd mid-90s KU reissue?
KU, BD and VH were reissued on vinyl and CD in 1995. Morrissey had changed labels the previous year for Vauxhall, swapping from HMV previously. Maybe it was thought Arsenal and Beethoven were too recent to reissue.

KU, BD and VH were reissued on vinyl and CD in 1995. Morrissey had changed labels the previous year for Vauxhall, swapping from HMV previously. Maybe it was thought Arsenal and Beethoven were too recent to reissue.
Could be. I always thought that KU wasn't such a big seller, so why reissue it only 4 years later, and also as a gatefold? Maybe it was part of a deal, so that he could leave PP earlier to go to RCA Victor?

I am disappointed by the 2018 remastered, 180gr, half-speed cut, Polydor EU reissue of Siouxsie and the Banshees' "Peepshow"
4 - Kopie.jpg

What a great album, but someone had messed this 30th-anniversary reissue all up.
First impression was excellent; packaging and the vinyl record itself are in superior tip-top stellar quality condition. Pressing was done at Optimal, and this record looked just fantastic, like a new and shiny-black Mercedes electric and leather-free EQC luxury sedan with zero kilometers on its sharp odometer. The vinyl itself is lying comfortably in your hand, like a conveniently thick and heavy steering wheel. It can also be used as a mirror:

5 - Kopie.jpg

Like I had expected, there was not one single distracting pop or crackle or other surface noise spoiling the listening experience after the needle-drop, even the silence at the beginning was a pleasure. But then....
... it was horrible. The music sounded bony and cold, like coming from an empty freezer, and the vocals and guitars, especially in the higher tone pitches seemed to have been muted in a fuzzy way. My heart tightened in an aimless way, unable to beat with the music.
To cut it short: I could only bear listening to the A-side once, and then felt like having been squeezed into a tin can.
I am not sure what went wrong exactly. All I can say is that besides the Optimal pressing, the mastering had been done by Abbey Studios in London.
Only positive thing which can be said is that I had bought the album for only € 12 at amzn earlier this year, considering myself a most fortunate and happy person indeed. But, they probably knew why they had to sell this album at a loss. Learning never stops.

5.2.jpg

Next question is, what to do with this record? It is really a pity. Such a beauty.

It took me almost a full day to recover mentally and physically from the above-mentioned experience. I wanted to listen to something simple and solid, no high-gloss mainstream major label sterile vacuousness, so first thing I tentatively pulled out from the shelf were the Green Pajamas from Seattle, Poison in the Russian Room. I had totally forgotten that I have a GREEN LIMITED VINYL, and what a green that is.... :frogface:🤢
2.jpg

I sometimes wonder whether there is actually some quality control involved in vinyl production that takes into account questions of color combinations.
Anyways, the Green Pajamas have been active since the early 1980s and could be categorized as indie psychedelic rock of some sorts or the other. This album was released first in 2009 in the US on the indie-pop label Hidden Agenda Records, but only as a CD, and then, 10 years later on Sugarbush Records in Europe. It's a fine pressing, solid and lively.
Most songs are pretty popsy in a catchy and melodic, radio-friendly way, which makes me wonder why they have never achieved a higher degree of publicity.

What had begun as a promising day, turned into a tragedy. I witnessed the brutal killing of a young and tiny marten here in my hometown today.
It looked a bit like this one:
1627666916115.png

I was driving down the street back home, when I saw this young marten trying to cross the road from the left side. A car almost ran him over, but he could retreat and then remained paralyzed on the road, probably injured by the underpressure of the tires.
There was a chance for me to quickly turn the car around into a side street, I pulled out the carton box and gloves from the trunk and then ran to the road. He was still lying there, looked unharmed but didn't move. At this second, a f***ed-up van rushed by and ran him over mercilessly. I heard his bones crush and what sounded like a little explosion. I was only threee metres away, when a second car drove by and did exactly the same. I was shocked, and still am. All I could do, was to pick up the very warm little and limp body from the road, and lay him down under a bush. Sleep well, babe. Humans suck. We don't need so many of these perverted and non-stop reproducing apes on this planet any longer.

Later, when I was approaching home, I saw from the car window, that the little sunflower that had been growing on the pedestrian sidewalk, which is a wonder in itself, in front of a junction box, had been ripped out, decapitated, and the stalk been put upside down leaning against a wall. I am too shocked to come to a conclusion for all this.

Well, here are some records that I have picked out for this week's listening.

5.2.jpg
6.jpg

My plan for the coming weeks is to spend more time acquainting myself with my records, old and new. I don't want to end up like folks who cannot remember if they have a certain record or not, or if they have ever been listening to these records when they rediscover them in their record shelf.
Whatever, my records of the week are put into this record case, which is located close to the record player. My home is my castle, so I want to keep walking distances short. Then I am going to listen to each record several times in a row, till i have the impression that all the songs have sunk into my marrow and bone.

t1.jpg

I was listening to Pabst's debut album first. Pabst is not just an insipid beer produced in another country, but actually means "pope", and is the name of a band from Berlin. Noise, Garage, Grunge, Indie, all fast and quick, youthful, if you like, but surprisingly versatile and self-assured for such a new act. Songs are all in English, and maybe you can hear the irony, and there is a certain grammar-school boy humour throughout, which doesn't want to be taken seriously, as one can see in the record cover too, which depicts a charming urban scenery, reminding us of some 70s street photography by Meyerovitz and the like.
The record "Chlorine" was released on the Berlin indie-label Crazysane Records in 2018. There is also a yellow version out there.

What had begun as a promising day, turned into a tragedy. I witnessed the brutal killing of a young and tiny marten here in my hometown today.
It looked a bit like this one:
View attachment 75001

I was driving down the street back home, when I saw this young marten trying to cross the road from the left side. A car almost ran him over, but he could retreat and then remained paralyzed on the road, probably injured by the underpressure of the tires.
There was a chance for me to quickly turn the car around into a side street, I pulled out the carton box and gloves from the trunk and then ran to the road. He was still lying there, looked unharmed but didn't move. At this second, a f***ed-up van rushed by and ran him over mercilessly. I heard his bones crush and what sounded like a little explosion. I was only threee metres away, when a second car drove by and did exactly the same. I was shocked, and still am. All I could do, was to pick up the very warm little and limp body from the road, and lay him down under a bush. Sleep well, babe. Humans suck. We don't need so many of these perverted and non-stop reproducing apes on this planet any longer.

Later, when I was approaching home, I saw from the car window, that the little sunflower that had been growing on the pedestrian sidewalk in front of a junction box, which is a little wonder in itself, had been ripped out, decapitated, and the stalk been put upside down leaning against a wall.

Well, here are some records that I have picked out for this week's listening.

View attachment 75003 View attachment 75004

My plan for the coming weeks is to spend more time acquainting myself with my records, old and new. I don't want to end up like folks who cannot remember if they have a certain record or not, or if they have even listened to these records when they rediscover them in their record shelf. Because they are buying faster than they can listen? I don't know.
Whatever, my records of the week are put into this record case, which is located close to the record player. My home is my castle, so I want to keep walking distances short. Then I am going to listen to each record several times in a row, till i have the impression that all the songs have sunk into my marrow and bone.

View attachment 75006

I was listening to Pabst's debut album first. Pabst is not just an insipid beer produced in another country, but actually means "pope", and is the name of a band from Berlin. Noise, Garage, Grunge, Indie, all fast and quick, youthful, if you like, but surprisingly versatile and self-assured for such a new act. Songs are all in English, and maybe you can hear the irony, and there is a certain grammar-school boy humour throughout, which doesn't want to be taken seriously, as one can see in the record cover too, which depicts a charming urban scenery, reminding us of some 70s street photography by Meyerovitz and the like.
The record "Chlorine" was released on the Berlin indie-label Crazysane Records in 2018. There is also a yellow version out there.

Poor wee thing. Some drivers just don't care.

These records here are waiting to be washed. Not much else, that has come in recently.

t2.jpg

b1.jpg

We had our daily 10-minute tropical thunderstorm with torrents of rain, so I closed all the windows, shut down all electricity, and filled up the spincare record cleaner. All these records were brushed and scrubbed thoroughly to remove even the most obstinate incrustations and unknown but nevertheless smelly fingerprints.

Only a few of them are actually new. Some others I have cleaned again, because the sound did not really convince me last time, and I just want to know if it is due to the dirt or the vinyl production. I used only the tiniest whiff of non-alcoholic cleaning solution this time and relied more or less on the bidest water and the dish-washing brush.

Meanwhile I am listening to Herbie Hancock's "Thrust" from 1974. What I have here is the 2009 Music on Vinyl remastered reissue on 180 gr.

b2.jpg

A great jazz-funk record. Unfortunately, there are only four songs on it, but all are lively, fast and enthralling. It's like watching the water fountains in the gardens of Versailles, all reflected in the hall of mirrors, on a sunny day. Synth goes baroque.

Spank-a-Lee is the fourth song on the record. A stroke of genius. It's amazing that he could still retain control over all the different synthezisers that are being played as if they were on the run from the police but cutting capers at the same time.

m1.jpg

There is something strangely flabbergasting about the Teldec Smiths 12" Maxi-Single pressings.

This is a 1986 Some Girls' 12" on orange vinyl (with the red not a blue label). Side A with Some Girls' is pretty worn out and crackly. Side B with Frankly, Mr Shankley and Drayze Train is still superbly clean.

This is the blue Teldec 12" Maxi Blue Single of Panic from the same year.

m9.jpg

What both have in common is the ability to create a full-bodied and at the same time spacious sound universe which I would say is unique, at least to my ears. Even though they have both reached the ripe old age of 35 now, the sound is still powerful, radiant and immediate.

m2 (2).jpg

There are some misprints on the cover and label.

Nevertheless, still highly enjoyable after all those years.

m6.jpg

I was listening to the Jobriath album this morning. This is an original 1973 German release on the Elektra Butterfly label that I have found in a second-hand record store. As everyone can see, it is a gatefold album. The gatefold inside has on both sides all the lyrics in readable size and fonts, for a change. A great plus of the gatefold album in general, I would say. Unfortunately, not much else information is given, besides some names without any further description.

This was Jobriath's first album, and not many more should follow. I don't want to speculate on the reasons why he did not succeed in the music business, but after listening to the album, I am inclined to say that it was probably not just the artificial hype created by his record label and the subsequent unaccomplishable expectations that brought his equally artificial downfall.

To say the least, it is a fine glam-rock album which was released one year after David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. Lots of lyrical and musical references make that very clear with images taken from the word field of space, i.e. galaxies and the universe, to name but a few, as it was undoubtably fashionable back then. On the A-Side the song "Space Clown" rises above the other songs, and probably this space clown was supposed to be David Bowie? I can't say. Just like Morrissey's Sam, I was born too late to understand the hype surrounding David Bowie and the other glam rockers.

m8.jpg

Throughout, Jobriath's voice is energetic and has an urgent quality to it, which I like. What I do not like about most glam rock music is its bouffant orchestrated theatricality. In its core, it is simply generic and thus conservative rock'n'roll delivered in glittery clothes and with an opera attitude. Probably for the 70s this must have felt like a revolution, and David Bowie was the messiah, who had landed on earth to rescue you from the boring mundanity of your everyday life (which, of course and as usual, is always just a reflection of your own inner state of mind, not the other way round). But I respect that. And probably, this was more exciting than the 80s, when the Rocky Horror Picture Show had already turned into a cult for the bored bourgeoisie. I remember a time when all the gays in my family and all the most boring tedious hetero folks at school alike, would spend their Saturday nights dressed up as transvestites in cinemas or theaters together, frolicking around with rice in their hand that had to be thrown into each others faces during the wedding scene, but only then!, oh what gayety, what joy, then all the toilet paper and slices of bread, and to top it all, the fun to be had with the WATER PISTOLS!!!

Already back then, I knew that this was all just utter shit, and later these memories would epitomize the 80s for me, which were my most formative and sensitive years. Yes, pity me later, please.
When I listen to glam rock (only exception is Roxy Music) nowadays, it all comes back in its ugly and mercilessly tedious but nevertheless over-egged hideousness.

To cut it short, Jobriath the album, for me, is ensnared too much in its times, which are the glam rock times of the 60s, 70s and 80s, which are over, and I hope for ever and for good.

Alright, now that I got this off my chest, let me say that "Earthlings" is a fine song, as well as of course "Mourning Starship", which is by far the best song of the album. Maybe "Rock of Ages" is supposed to be a swan song for the vanishing glam rock times, but what do I care.
The way Jobriath sings the line "an elegant man" in the song I'maman is memorable too. And lyrically, I must say that the song "Inside" was able to touch a chord in me. They should've just let him sing and play the piano and forget about all the Bowie glam stuff.

Back
Top Bottom