The existential philosophy behind "People are the Same Everywhere" - Pop Music Explained

Hi everyone

It’s been so long since I posted on here that I can’t remember my login details! But I do still follow the page via Facebook.

I’m a local journalist and in my spare time I write essays about the meanings behind pop lyrics.

The latest one is about the existential philosophy behind People are the Same Everywhere.

It seems like Morrissey was interested in the ideas of Heidegger during the writing period preceding 2011...

The blog is easy to read and accessible for anyone - hope you like it

https://www.popmusicexplained.com/blog/morrissey-people-are-the-same-everywhere

Hi everyone

It’s been so long since I posted on here that I can’t remember my login details! But I do still follow the page via Facebook.

I’m a local journalist and in my spare time I write essays about the meanings behind pop lyrics.

The latest one is about the existential philosophy behind People are the Same Everywhere.

It seems like Morrissey was interested in the ideas of Heidegger during the writing period preceding 2011...

its certainly about individuality,M will say you are reading too much into it.

Just like Hitler then

McCartney - We all know that people are the same whereever you go

Morrissey - People are the same everywhere

Hi everyone

i enjoyed reading about your ideas. i like that you put the lyrics in a wider context, even a philosophical one.
not sure though, whether we can find morrissey the person and his opinions in the lyrics. i'd rather talk about a lyrical i (could be someone he knows or an invented persona) that finds expression in his words and voice, maybe for the first time in music history. could also be an experiment in trying to give this philosopher a more down-to-earth voice.
anyway, thanks, your analysis made me think.

Interesting read and if the link between Heidegger and Morrissey are correctly, I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that Morrissey is an enthusiastic supporter of the Nazi party, too. A philosopher's idea's aren't shaped by a political party, more the other way around. Anyway...

People Are The Same Everywhere is a song I find myself singing from time to time. It's a grower and I would rank it second behind Action Is My Middle Name, The Kid's A Looker being last. A set of songs very much cut from the same cloth as Years of Refusal, mind.

Heidegger?

PATSE, one my favorite songs. Though this subject can come from any true artist that has been isolated and continues to feel isolated. I don’t believe that they need to look to anyone or thing outside of themselves to come to these view points.

Nice article, but most likely not true.

Hi everyone

How you got to this conclusion and other potential views may have made for a fuller discussion around existentialism and the song:

"The most useful literary reference to understand these lyrics would be the German existentialist philosopher Martin Heidegger."

Interesting read, but the academic in me always wants to see the asserted view measured and tested against others as to strengthen the argument being made.
I'd, personally, not talk in definitives when discussing completely subjective topics such as meaning.
You do use 'one interpretation', 'most likely' etc, but the bold text and initial paragraph's statement can then appear at odds with the view that develops.
A writing voice that acknowledges the potential for alternate views rather than firmly linking one idea to a piece of art will probably always be a more endearing way of getting a point across (I just did it by using 'probably' :) )
Is Camus pictured for any particular reason?
Anyway,
Best of luck,
Regards,
FWD.

A tenuous article. It doesn't quite rise to the level of simplistic.

Heidegger?

PATSE, one my favorite songs. Though this subject can come from any true artist that has been isolated and continues to feel isolated. I don’t believe that they need to look to anyone or thing outside of themselves to come to these view points.

Nice article, but most likely not true.

It's a good message from Moz, cause when ya realize that all these folks are the thinkin' and doin' the same anyways, ya might as well go ahead and just do ya own thing.
These folks are caught up in the same so on and so forth, so what does it matter what they think anyways.

Among the bottom 10% in terms of quality, this song.

Hi everyone

Just wondering if the author of this piece is a native english speaker person. But... holy cat! I suspect this is a hook the fish won't bite.

Hi again everyone. Thanks so much for all of your comments. I must admit, from a group of fellow dedicated Morrissey followers, I had expected a harsher reception!

Lanterns - thank you for your thoughts. I will certainly consider more carefully in future where there may be a difference between the singer and a character they might be portraying.

Anonymous Bread - yes, I didn’t intend to say that because Heidegger was a Nazi, so is Morrissey. But I hope I worded it carefully enough to draw a connection without labouring any point. I’m certainly not sure how I feel about the whole thing myself.

Famous When Dead - I always enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to read my article. I suppose that I think people might be coming to the blog for a definitive point of view, and personally I enjoy writing the most when the author is sure of what they think. But I hope it’s understood that I would never claim to be right above all other interpretations.

If anyone feels they would like to share the post on Twitter etc, it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Why spend so much time analysing such a weak, lyrically abysmal, repetitive song? I'd rather hear some reflections on Speedway or Trouble Loves Me.

Because it’s not.

:cool:

Stunning riposte. Those lyrics are so awful they're practically parody.
"Scoop me from the group and groups are the same everywhere"? Barrel-scraping shite.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom