The first time: expectations/ surprises/ disappointments?

Wow, that's a lot. I've just been into him for 2,5 years, and saw him for the first time this year, but.. Im just 16. Hope he'll be an artist for at least ten more years!

I am constantly impressed and heartened at how many "new" fans he has. I went to the Royal Albert Hall gig in 2002 and felt very typical of the age of the fans there. I dont think there was anyone under 28/9 and i am sure like me most of them had been fans for a long time.

I have been to see him 6 times since Quarry came out and the audience was much younger (and better looking!) at all of them. I reckon lots of new and young fans have found him in the last few years.

It is for this reason that i think Moz will carry on for a long time yet. New people are finding his music all the time and he has so much to say.

He has mentioned the possibility of a new album in 2007 and the success of his tours this year will mean we have lots more to look forward to in the future. I hope its 10 years at the very minimum.

22nd was me and my mates first moz gig. i couldnt beleive how mental it was down at the front, there were some many different types of people. there were a couple of complete wankers though like the skinhead hooligans who tried to start on my mate because he looked at them lol, i just wish he was doing even more gigs now, i really wish i had gone to some of the eariler dates, overall i had a an amazing night and i thought the setlist was great.

If Morrissey does anymore gigs, he won't be able to eat or sleep. :D

My first gig was the MEN one on the 22nd May 2004.
I have no idea why I bought tickets for this gig, I can not remember the circumstances. I always loved The Smiths in the past, and I had bought Viva Hate when it came out...but that was it. Anyway, when Morrissey actually walked out on to the stage singing "Regrets, I've had a few...etc" i remember turning to my sister and saying "oh my God, he is gorgeous". I have been hooked ever since.
I have seen him five times since that, and the best gig has to be Bridlington Spa as it was such a small venue. They absolutely rocked the roof off the place...:)

I was astounded by was how intense it was anywhere near the front. I've only been to a few dozen concerts, but I have never experienced anything like that. I'm not saying it's bad, but for me it has to be in small doses. Four or five songs is about as long as i can handle before I have to make my way backwards towards relatively safety.

Everyone seemed to know the words to every song, even b-sides (ganglord, daddy's voice, etc).

Just how many people were there. Holy phyque that is a big venue! Also talking to fans, how much they save (and spend) getting to Morrissey gigs, and how far many of them travel.

There were a bunch of crowd cameos; some that I knew about beforhand, but all were still crazier/funnier than I expected (since it was my first Moz gig), and all added uniqueness to the event. Off the top of my head...
* Just how loud the Morrissey soccer chants are.
* The cheers and boos on the last stanza of Disappointed (classic)
* the crowd chant to "And if the U.S.A. doesn't bomb you". When did this start? Surely must be something new/spontanious?

Finally, I was amazed at how star-struck I was. And how blue Morrissey's eyes are. Pathetic, I know.

Last edited:
Skinheads were a bummer as well. Muscled their way through the crowd to the front and just stood there as if they'd been queueing since first light. Glad to see an American girl (sorry I can't remember your name, began with an "M") who basically told them to sod off. And they did. Well done to you!

I was astounded by was how intense it was anywhere near the front. I've only been to a few dozen concerts, but I have never experienced anything like that. I'm not saying it's bad, but for me it has to be in small doses. Four or five songs is about as long as i can handle before I have to make my way backwards towards relatively safety.

* Just how loud the Morrissey soccer chants are.
* The cheers and boos on the last stanza of Disappointed (classic)
* the crowd chant to "And if the U.S.A. doesn't bomb you". When did this start? Surely must be something new/spontanious?

Finally, I was amazed at how star-struck I was. And how blue Morrissey's eyes are. Pathetic, I know.

I agree, before I went in someone told me I'd be ok if I avoided standing towards the centre of the stage, around the edge would be fine. Well, that wasn't true! I missed most of what was going on for about the first three/ four songs just from being so shocked at how crushed I was and how on earth I was going to survive! Although having said that, it made it the most fantastic atmosphere and was such an experience that I enjoyed it in a strange way, I've never been through anything like it.

The chants are just incredible! The deep rumbling that started form way back in the hall sent a shiver down my spine it was just the best feeling :D It was pretty special and I liked how they kept re-surfacing through the show too- didn't he say something like- 'yes that's a nice name' or something at some point? Vaguely remember that.

And yes, the blue eyes, I agree! I kept getting the odd twinkle and felt floored by it, especially when he got close during Daddy's Voice and crouched in front of me, I almost didn't know where to look! God knows what I'd do if I ever came face to face with him, don't think I'd carry on breathing.

The Smiths were my era, (Moz is a year younger than me), and i was a huge fan but regretably i never saw them 'live'.
It wasn't actually till 2004 when my daughter and her bloke asked me to come to the Leeds Festival with them that i experienced Morrissey in the 'flesh'.
Like many, after not paying much attention to him for a while :)eek: ) i'd had my 'love' of him awakened by "You Are The Quarry" so i agreed to tag along for the weekend.
I enjoyed the festival and the feeling of being there and there were some great bands on, but i was really only waiting for Morrissey.
It sounds a bit over the top i know, but i'll never forget the moment he walked on stage. He had such an aura. It was like a religious experience for me and i have truly never been quite the same since!
The funny thing i remember was the strange sideways looks i got from all the young 'Green Day' and 'White Stripes' fans around me as this educated middle aged man (me!) went completely and absolutely potty and danced and sung my way through the set waving my arms around and whipping an imaginary mic chord. (Ok i admit i'd had a few Strongbows:D )
Thinking back, I was seriously and truly 'touched' by that first live experience.
Since that gig i've seen him five times! The most recent being the first GMex gig last week.
It's like a 'fix' i have to have now if the opportunity is there.
I've also acquired everything he's ever done (I think!) and i play him every day without fail.
He helps me get through. He is the antidote to the stresses and strains of modern life. He intrigues and satisfies me with his lyrics, he soothes me with his beautiful singing voice, he is a true catharsis.
It's all in perspective. It's not an obsession....it's just a sheer love of his talent.

Nice post. I too have been to a Morrissey gig, I went to the Wembley one and it was probably the best night of my life. I actually felt quite saddened when it had finished, because for the hour or so he was up there, I felt alive, happy, grateful and overwhelmed by the experience. It was a fantastic seeing different people who probably wouldn't mix in society standing side by side and sharing a bond that is unbreakable and very special and that's the love for his music.

The atmosphere was shockingly good, people who come across as being quite reserved suddenly charging forward when Morrissey walks onto the stage, signing along to the songs, jumping, leaning on you, putting their arms in mid air and even stripping down to the waist, it’s incredible. It’s beautiful and the best thing about it was it was so natural and comfortable to be there. It’s probably one of the only times I didn’t feel alone, I felt part of something great and that gave me such a wonderful rush of blood to the head, it gave me a wonderful feeling of something heart warming, it's an emotion I never experienced before.

The songs were magic, the fans were magic, and the comments Morrissey made was magic. I managed to last the whole night being squashed up against people, the humidity of the place was intense, but I’d rather have fainted on the spot than have moved outside for fresh air. I was determined not to miss anything and I didn’t.

I’ve been to a few concerts from different bands and none of them were quite like a Morrissey concert, there wasn’t this common bond, this feeling of belonging, the atmosphere wasn’t quite so raw and electric, yet calm and soothing as the Wembley Concert.

It was definitely the greatest moment of my life, Morrissey’s one of the only artists I can truly relate to and I’d lose both of my legs just to see him at another venue.

Last edited:
Nice post. I too have been to a Morrissey gig, I went to the Wembley one and it was probably the best night of my life. I actually felt quite saddened when it had finished, because for the hour or so he was up there, I felt alive, happy, grateful and overwhelmed by the experience. It was a fantastic seeing different people who probably wouldn't mix in society standing side by side and sharing a bond that is unbreakable and very special and that's the love for his music.

The atmosphere was shockingly good, people who come across as being quite reserved suddenly charging forward when Morrissey walks onto the stage, signing along to the songs, jumping, leaning on you, putting their arms in mid air and even stripping down to the waist, it’s incredible. It’s beautiful and the best thing about it was it was so natural and comfortable to be there. It’s probably one of the only times I didn’t feel alone, I felt part of something great and that gave me such a wonderful rush of blood to the head, it gave me a wonderful feeling of something heart warming, it's an emotion I never experienced before.

The songs were magic, the fans were magic, and the comments Morrissey made was magic. I managed to last the whole night being squashed up against people, the humidity of the place was intense, but I’d rather have fainted on the spot than have moved outside for fresh air. I was determined not to miss anything and I didn’t.

I’ve been to a few concerts from different bands and none of them were quite like a Morrissey concert, there wasn’t this common bond, this feeling of belonging, the atmosphere wasn’t quite so raw and electric, yet calm and soothing as the Wembley Concert.

It was definitely the greatest moment of my life, Morrissey’s one of the only artists I can truly relate to and I’d lose both of my legs just to see him at another venue.

Great post mate. I can really relate to how you felt.

I went to G-mex 22nd. It was strange, as I've seen so many photos, heard so many recordings, watched so many videos etc. but I still hadn't really figured out that he actually exists in the flesh, and is real. I pretty much had no idea what was going on for the first couple of songs, but I'm quite sure I was singing along as loud as I could... I dunno, when he came on stage there was this surge and everybody who had been just standing quietly went mad. It felt unreal. I wasn't at the front or anything but everyone still knew the words, which I wasn't really expecting. I was feeling quite sorry for my family who had tagged along as to be honest they can't even tell the difference between the Smiths and Moz-solo so they were probably feeling quite out of place. Next time... I am not bringing my family (I felt a bit self-concious with them there and couldn't really completely 'lose myself in da muuuusic'.) and will be a bit braver and venture further forwards. ;)

And... Oh my god, his eyes are blue.

My first Morrissey concert was 2nd day of London Paladium on 21 May this year. I journeyed across the sea from Japan. The show was great. My seat was on the upper circle. I maneged to record whole show. And it became my very cherished memory.

And my first "experience of first-low" was Truro on 23 May same year. I was at middle of front-row, but didn't understand acutually what would this place like, how terrible... There was the little boy next left side to me, so befor started the show, I smiled at him and said "hang on, boy" and the boy nodded and returned smile for me. But once the show started, pushing and pressures were so strong. I was very suprised, clashed:eek: so I could not help but regretted what I said to the next boy and worried about him. He end up calling for help to the securitys while 2nd song then they pulled him up. (after show, I met him and asked "Are you allright?", "yeah" said he with his shy smile.)

I also almost passed out through the show. Moz's chief security was standing front of me, looked at me, and the eyes said "How long time untill she gives up?". But I was thinking to myself that "I came across the sea! HOW MUCH is my airtickets prices and etc... I have to stand up!" So I maneged to hold on front-row untill end of the show.
(I went to England again for Moz concert at Manchester on 22nd and 23rd Dec. Then I was at front-row again but left side where just front of Boz and Gaz. The guy remembered me, pointed at me and said "It's you!" I was very glad for, thank you)

Anyway, the experience that the man who called great Mozfather was singing just about 1 meter up front me was brilliant moments. His very blue eyes were beautiful as much as his voice and looked like incredible gems more than I thought. I was deep impressed.

About The band. Befor Truro venue was opened, I approached Boz and Gaz for their aoutglaph and taking picture with them. Of couse I wanted to tell them how much I love their musical performance. But my English is very poor and my brain became really white... could never say any words expect "Could you give me your aoutglaph" and "Thank you so much"...But they were very good, nice to a strange girl like me. Boz showed me a his big smile. Taking picture Gaz put his arm gently round my shoulders, soothed me with whispering to my ear "Stop shaking". I can't forget. Thank you.

My first was Palladium 21st may,
I didn't really have any expectations i had an ambition to at least make sure he found out i exist.
I was so over excited and nervous, after all the time watching vids and drooling at others pics/reports and wondering if my time would ever come,
My friends and i managed to get FRONT ROW tickets, (and as anyone who was there knows the FRONT row, basically butts up against the stage, so when you stnad it is about chest height and you can lean right over..*screams)
It was very surreal to me, moz walked out and i rememeber cheering but i had trouble taking it in i just could not believe that he was INCHES away from me for REAL!!!! (i've since had a friend tell me that she was a bit worried as i spent the first song or so looking around at the crowd and at the floor and just looking lost, i think i was in shock!!)
the time flew by, i managed to stop shaking after a few songs.. and i just danced myself silly, got some GREAT eye contact... and sweat dripped on me,
and when he reached for my hand in HSIN :eek: I nearly died, the whole world seemed to stop, he looked me right in the eye smiled that sexy sexy deep smile and grabbed my hand, i didnt squeeze too much as he had a plaster round it, but Moz gripped my hand so hard, and that is i believe the only reason i did not slide to the floor in a faint, everything was black all i could see/hear/ be aware off was Moz looking at me and holding me.. unfortunatly it was soon over as our hands were engulfed by lots of other grasping sweaty palms, *eugh* so i tried to pull my hand away, Moz resisted for a sec but then he must've seen my disgusted face and he let go..
I can still feel the pressure of his hand gripping mine, everytime i hear HSIN (even without thinking of it).

Words can't explain how the whole thing felt, I was so dazed afterwards that i just walked about mutely, and when he came out of the stage door and gave me a direct eye contact smile again, my legs gave out, gosh knows how i walked back to my hotel, but i do remember having an argument about which song it was when he held my hand, LOL
I spent the next day in tears... (and i mean in TEARS, sobbed my heart out at paddington and all the way home).

I am now hooked, went to cheltenham a few days later, and brum/wembley/both gmex, although we didnt make it to brum due to cancelled trains, *sobs* and i missed gmex because i had the flu and an ear infection and would nevr had made it to manchester let alone the queieing etc *sobs even more*

all in all 3 out of an intended 6 gigs isnt bad for my first year of gigs.
And i have certainly not being disapponted by any of them,
biggest suprise for me was how much i danced and shouted and sang *badly* at wembley, i am normally so shy, but to hear Disappointed and NFD live, that was just so ace i couldnt help it. :D

My first was Palladium 21st may,
I didn't really have any expectations i had an ambition to at least make sure he found out i exist.
I was so over excited and nervous, after all the time watching vids and drooling at others pics/reports and wondering if my time would ever come,
My friends and i managed to get FRONT ROW tickets, (and as anyone who was there knows the FRONT row, basically butts up against the stage, so when you stnad it is about chest height and you can lean right over..*screams)
It was very surreal to me, moz walked out and i rememeber cheering but i had trouble taking it in i just could not believe that he was INCHES away from me for REAL!!!! (i've since had a friend tell me that she was a bit worried as i spent the first song or so looking around at the crowd and at the floor and just looking lost, i think i was in shock!!)
the time flew by, i managed to stop shaking after a few songs.. and i just danced myself silly, got some GREAT eye contact... and sweat dripped on me,
and when he reached for my hand in HSIN :eek: I nearly died, the whole world seemed to stop, he looked me right in the eye smiled that sexy sexy deep smile and grabbed my hand, i didnt squeeze too much as he had a plaster round it, but Moz gripped my hand so hard, and that is i believe the only reason i did not slide to the floor in a faint, everything was black all i could see/hear/ be aware off was Moz looking at me and holding me.. unfortunatly it was soon over as our hands were engulfed by lots of other grasping sweaty palms, *eugh* so i tried to pull my hand away, Moz resisted for a sec but then he must've seen my disgusted face and he let go..
I can still feel the pressure of his hand gripping mine, everytime i hear HSIN (even without thinking of it).

Words can't explain how the whole thing felt, I was so dazed afterwards that i just walked about mutely, and when he came out of the stage door and gave me a direct eye contact smile again, my legs gave out, gosh knows how i walked back to my hotel, but i do remember having an argument about which song it was when he held my hand, LOL
I spent the next day in tears... (and i mean in TEARS, sobbed my heart out at paddington and all the way home).

What a lovely, wonderful story! :) Glad you had such an amazing experience at your first Moz gig & it warms my heart to hear about it!

aww thanks!
the flaw with the first being so WONDERFUL, is that its gonna be hard to live upto again... and I will subconciously expect them to all be like that.:rolleyes:
although i did manage to be on the barrier for both other shows, (i think its down to determination;) ) and i stretched like you wouldn't believe at wembley so Moz could reach me but alas he didnt even try!!! *sobs*

Back
Top Bottom