The God Squad- Religion obsessives and philosophical types unite!

This is the place to discuss various aspects of religion, philosophy and ethics, and express interest in these areas. I for one am fascinated by these topics, particularly the ritualistic and symbolic aspects of religion. Debates are warmly welcomed! Thanks to Jackie London for the idea. :)

Lovely, so here's something to start with: Thelema!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

A western esoteric religion which has been strongly influenced by Aleister Crowley (666). My favourite religion, something I'm extremely interested in!

Are we having another sleepless night Charlotte? :)

When am I not? :D

Lovely, so here's something to start with: Thelema!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema

A western esoteric religion which has been strongly influenced by Aleister Crowley (666). My favourite religion, something I'm extremely interested in!

I'd never heard of that before, fascinating. The 'True Will' thing, the idea of responding to a calling, is really interesting, as is the concept of a fairly modern religious philosophy drawing on aspects of Ancient beliefs and deities.

Baha'i is another religion I'm drawn to learning more about, again because of the collection and consideration of diverse beliefs.

When am I not? :D

I'd never heard of that before, fascinating. The 'True Will' thing, the idea of responding to a calling, is really interesting, as is the concept of a fairly modern religious philosophy drawing on aspects of Ancient beliefs and deities.

Baha'i is another religion I'm drawn to learning more about, again because of the collection and consideration of diverse beliefs.

Bahai is also interesting. I've been to a Bahai temple once. There is one thing I don't get...they believe that all religions holds a part of the truth, they are very inclusive but they believe that Bahai is the right religion right now but not necessarily for the whole future, right? But they don't actually think that all religions are right, do they? Because there are many religions that are younger and newer then Bahai....so on what grounds can one decide which religions belongs to the truth and which doesn't?

Bahai is also interesting. I've been to a Bahai temple once. There is one thing I don't get...they believe that all religions holds a part of the truth, they are very inclusive but they believe that Bahai is the right religion right now but not necessarily for the whole future, right? But they don't actually think that all religions are right, do they? Because there are many religions that are younger and newer then Bahai....so on what grounds can one decide which religions belongs to the truth and which doesn't?

I think their general belief is that different religions are right for the world at different time periods, and in various places, although I'm not sure what the criteria is for this. Very much a case of all religions being part of the 'bigger picture' as it were.

I think their general belief is that different religions are right for the world at different time periods, and in various places, although I'm not sure what the criteria is for this. Very much a case of all religions being part of the 'bigger picture' as it were.

I'll have to ask about this the next time I run into someone who is a bahai. :thumb: What do you think about Raelianism by the way?

I'll have to ask about this the next time I run into someone who is a bahai. :thumb: What do you think about Raelianism by the way?

I don't know nearly enough about it to have much of an opinion, to be honest :o. I know there is (apparently) quite a scientific basis to it, and know vaguely of their belief in the extraterrestrial Elohim, but not much more than that I'm afraid. They caused quite a bit of controversy with regards to their comments about Catholic institutions, didn't they? The scientific ideas seem to be interesting concepts, particularly when combined with the quite traditional religious belief in a 'chosen people'.

Re: The G`d Squad- Religion obsessives and philosophical types unite!

If the devil is six then God is seven.

Re: The G`d Squad- Religion obsessives and philosophical types unite!

The Male's mess with my head and my butt in their quest for "true will." (read: control.) :mad: I prefer the Church of Rock and Roll, though every religion is wonderful in it's own way. :p

I don't know nearly enough about it to have much of an opinion, to be honest :o. I know there is (apparently) quite a scientific basis to it, and know vaguely of their belief in the extraterrestrial Elohim, but not much more than that I'm afraid. They caused quite a bit of controversy with regards to their comments about Catholic institutions, didn't they? The scientific ideas seem to be interesting concepts, particularly when combined with the quite traditional religious belief in a 'chosen people'.

Raelianism was founded by Raël, a french racecar driver whose real name is Claude Vorilhon. He claims that he meet aliens who are our creators and the focus within raelianism is to get in contact with elohim (as the aliens are called) but also self realization. I think they think that they consider their religion to be based on science, I imagine it's a bit like Scientology since it's founded on different forms pseudoscience and I also imagine it may attract the same sort of people as scientology, people that have a religious need but not a need for what's considered traditional religion but a more rational form connected to some sort of science. The raelians I've meet have always been very friendly and intelligent.

Oh, the love discordianism..... :squiffy:

And, the classic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Raelianism was founded by Raël, a french racecar driver whose real name is Claude Vorilhon. He claims that he meet aliens who are our creators and the focus within raelianism is to get in contact with elohim (as the aliens are called) but also self realization. I think they think that they consider their religion to be based on science, I imagine it's a bit like Scientology since it's founded on different forms pseudoscience and I also imagine it may attract the same sort of people as scientology, people that have a religious need but not a need for what's considered traditional religion but a more rational form connected to some sort of science. The raelians I've meet have always been very friendly and intelligent.

Yes, I made the mental link with Scientology too.

Yes, I made the mental link with Scientology too.

Well, while we are at the subject...

This clip is from a show called "John Safran vs. God" where John Safran travels around the earth and tries out different religions. The show is a must for all true religion-nerds. In this clip he talks about scientology! I actually like scientology, I've tried auditation but it wasn't really something for me but I can see why some people are in to it. What most people don't know is that dianetics and scientology is not the same thing, everybody that are in to dianetics do not necessarily practice, believe in or even know that much about scientology. I have L. Ron Hubbard's book "Dianetics".....I might even read a bit from it before I go to bed....yes, I think I will do that!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yet they have failed to mention ignosticism! It's an interesting attempt to make a map over different religious orientations. Interesting also that the article is soooo obviously lutheran :thumb: It's very typical christian-lutheran/protestant to always think that there is a core in everything and everyone that is what people or things "actually" are/is, very very typical christian....I mean this sort of map is really only applicable on our western way of thinking, that everything or everyone actually is something.

Yet they have failed to mention ignosticism! It's an interesting attempt to make a map over different religious orientations. Interesting also that the article is soooo obviously lutheran :thumb: It's very typical christian-lutheran/protestant to always think that there is a core in everything and everyone that is what people or things "actually" are/is, very very typical christian....I mean this sort of map is really only applicable on our western way of thinking, that everything or everyone actually is something.
however, it was a link from the ignosticism wiki :straightface: I am pretty sure he just does not use that particular word :rolleyes:
& speaking of ignosticism :) from my FB:
Religious Views: Ignosticism
:D

Tags
666 atheist crybaby bananaman fairy tales god of fuck new world order pixies signtology tl;drville worsthread2010
Back
Top Bottom