The Guardian review by Laura Snapes - IANADOAC 2/5

UPDATE Mar. 20:

Link to online version posted by Radis Noir:

FGzvZfN.jpg

I'd say that's pretty generous, bearing in mind "f*** The Guardian"

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at her twitter and previous Guardian musical reviews, Snapes has history of being anti-Moz, so this review is predictable, and quite meaningless. E.g. she gave CS 1/5.
Maybe she's slowly seeing the light by awarding this 2?

Nicely written gobbet. í am a sucker for a 'skittish harpsichord'. No less for some 'superannuated lamentation'.

í believe Ms Snapes is one of the Spartan 300 that 'anonymously' signed the 'Suzanne Moore Letter'. Shoulder to shoulder with Timothy Jonze & Alex Needham, the ex-NME urchins. Needham now the Arts Editor of the paper. From NME to Top Gear magazine to the Guardian Arts hole. The world of modern letters...

í would say that, currently, The Guardian is doing an impressive job of f***ing itself.

I love how Laura Snapes and her SJW brigade think-a-likes only see themselves as victims always "punching up", but in 2020, a vegan humasexual songsmith for the lost and lonely will never be a vegan because he is a "privileged old white male".

f*** LAURA SNAPES. f*** THE GUARDIAN.

His "most striking album since 1992's Your Arsenal"... and then it's given two out of five!

As for the jibe that he'll never sit alongside Bowie and Cohen - well, ignoring the whole Bowie underage sex thing - which the Guardian does, oddly - as a fan of both (particularly Cohen) Morrissey has never sunk to the musical depths both of them did with some of their later stuff.

Last edited:
Goodness me, she and her other Guardian music chums are so tedious in their London media bubble view of the world. They really could have gained the upper hand if they'd written a review like "We still think he's a massively obnoxious twat but this is a very good album" - but they lack the imagination for that.

On the other hand, all that needs to happen here is extracting the pull quote of "his most striking album since Your Arsenal" and there we go!

'His most striking album since Your Arsenal'... followed by a 2 out of 5 review. Give me a break. Intelligence seems to 'elide' The Guardian. What nonsense.

'His most striking album since Your Arsenal'... followed by a 2 out of 5 review. Give me a break. Intelligence seems to 'elide' The Guardian. What nonsense.

What the review is (dishonestly) trying to do is say that somehow the album is successful only because of its instrumental creativity, and hence all credit due is to Joe C. (Nothing to do with Morrissey's choice of songwriting partners then, Laura? Or his voice as a uniquely powerful musical instrument?)

'hollow posturing' yeah

FGzvZfN.jpg

I'd say that's pretty generous, bearing in mind "f*** The Guardian"

This is not a review of the album, to which she devotes three superficial sentences. It's mostly a review of his "reputation." That's what passes for music criticism at The Guardian these days.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain review

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom