The kinks

crotty32

I have just rediscovered the kinks,I was always a massive fan but the 6 cd picture book box set that encompasses their entire career is fantastic and I can't stop playing it.Does anyone know if Morrissey has referenced the kinks or Ray Davies? It would excellent if Morrissey were to cover "I' not like everybody else ","too much on my mind " ,or even" this is where I belong ". I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the kinks to anyone every album has a hidden gem and like all great bands the b sides to their singles were classics in themselves eg" she's got everything ", " where have all the good times gone" and " I'm not like everybody else",

I'm a fan but not a giant one and I've not heard o morrissey mentioning them but marr I think is on record as really big fan. They're obviously talented and ,are neat music but I never got into to much. I do funnily enough love the knack who took a bunch from them

There's a interview with Morrissey I think from the late 80s or early 90s where he groups the Smiths with four or five other groups who he considers to be in the same tradition. I can't remember the full list or what the interview was, but it definitely included the Kinks and the Jam, and he's says "maybe Madness". So that suggests he does or did hold them in some sort of esteem. Perhaps the reason he doesn't generally mention them is that he would consider it disloyal to Chrissie Hynde.

I'm a Kinks fan, and I'd say there are definitely similarities between Ray Davies and Morrissey, in terms of their lyric writing and general attitude.

He shits on the Kinks in his Autobiography. A Penguin Classic (?).

I believe it was the Kill Uncle part

He shits on the Kinks in his Autobiography. A Penguin Classic (?).

I believe it was the Kill Uncle part

He describes Piccadilly Palare as having a "rinky-dink Kinks sound". He doesn't seem to mean it in a good way, but I'm not sure it counts as shitting on them.

I have a strange relationship with the Kinks. When I listen to them I recall how great they are but then I forget about them for long periods of time. I could listen to "Waterloo Sunset" and "Heart Of Gold" everyday tho'

ohhh boy, the kinks are one of my favorite groups ever. ray often delved in that victorian dancehall sound that i adore so much. plus when i first found them back in middle school, his scathing lyrics were mind blowing to my 12 y/o brain.

Back
Top Bottom