The Moz/Smiths Top 100, FINAL RESULTS!!

Surely there is a book deal to be had out of this.

Countless lists, countless analysis and billions of pashernate fans' quotes - surely Houdini deserves the copyright to all of this work - if ~Paul Wood can get a deal on the back of a selection of clippings then this, original, piece of research deserves to be printed.

Well done, and thanks, to Houdini.

Thanks. All offers will be, patiently, considered :)

Here's another poll conclusion.

Best cover-version:

1) No One Can Hold A Candle To You (2004) 8,20
2) Skin Storm (1991) 7,30
3) A Song From Under The Floorboards (2006) 7,29
4) Human Being (2006) 7,26
5) Interlude (1994) 7,26
6) That’s Entertainment (1991) 7,24
7) Redondo Beach (2005) 6,93
8) Moonriver (1994) 6,67
9) Cosmic Dancer (1991) 6,59
10) East West (1989) 6,51
11) Work Is A Four Letter Word (1987) 6,48
12) What’s The World (1987) 6,13
13) Golden Lights (1986) 4,93

This proves that democracy doesnt work.

Only three of the top 15 morrissey songs are on his "Greatest hits"
"Everyday is like Sunday" "Suedehead" and the "last of the famous international playboys" naturally but why is nobody loves us so high when there are plenty of other good songs from his best of to choose from.

Maybe "best of" and "greatest hits" are loose terms.

Great job.

The lists pretty much shakes down how I thought it would, although I am disappointed "Sorrow Will Come In The End" didn't come in at the end as it so richly deserves.

most shocking entry in the top100:
"Friday Mourning"- this is not a very good song. so much melodrama amounting to nothing and easily the worst pun of Morrissey's career.

and why are so many Smiths songs like "Handsome Devil", "Sweet And Tender Hooligan", "Stretch Out And Wait", "What She Said", "Unloveable", "These Things Take Time" and "You've Got Everything Now" rated so high? theyre good songs, but these are the kind of songs that Morrissey&Marr could turn out in their sleep back then- hardly comparable to utter classic gems from the solo-era like "Interesting Drug", "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful", "Boxers", "Glamorous Glue", "Sing Your Life", "The Boy Racer", "Alma Matters", "Certain People I Know", "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" and "Our Frank" which all rank outside the top100. christ, look how high "I Don't Owe You Anything" is- if there were ever a forgettable Smiths song, thats it.

Morrissey fans hav the worst taste.

Last edited:
For my own interest and anyone else who cares, I'm going to list my top fifteen played songs from iTunes against the findings of the list and compare how I faired... :)

List:
1) There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
2) Everyday Is Like Sunday
3) Still Ill
4) I Know It’s Over
5) Suedehead
6) The Queen Is Dead
7) Now My Heart Is Full
8) Speedway
9) This Charming Man
10) Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
11) The Headmaster Ritual
12) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
13) Rubber Ring
14) Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself
15) Panic

iTunes:
1) Everday Is Like Sunday
2) Suedehead
3) This Charming Man
4) There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
5) Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This Before
6) Still Ill
7) William, It Was Really Nothing
8) Panic!
9) Half A Person
10) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
11) Girl Afraid
12) Hand In Glove
13) The Boy With A Thorn In His Side
14) Pretty Girls Make Graves
15) Nowhere Fast

*muses*

ok I have done it... lol
List:
1) There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
2) Everyday Is Like Sunday
3) Still Ill
4) I Know It’s Over
5) Suedehead
6) The Queen Is Dead
7) Now My Heart Is Full
8) Speedway
9) This Charming Man
10) Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
11) The Headmaster Ritual
12) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
13) Rubber Ring
14) Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself
15) Panic

and my itunes at the moment

1) good looking man about town
2) stop me if you think
3) life is a pigsty
4) what difference does it make
5) A swallow on my neck
6) everyday is like sunday
7) let the right one slip in
8) you're the one for me fatty
9) rubber ring
10) southpaw
11) oh well I'll never learn
12) have a go merchant
13) the loop
14) bigmouth strikes again
15) some girls are bigger than others

quite a surprising playlist there vicarinatutugal!

im assuming (based on people having mostly all the songs moz has done) that their top played songs would be quite consistant with the list complied.

Last edited:
Only three of the top 15 morrissey songs are on his "Greatest hits"
"Everyday is like Sunday" "Suedehead" and the "last of the famous international playboys" naturally but why is nobody loves us so high when there are plenty of other good songs from his best of to choose from.

Maybe "best of" and "greatest hits" are loose terms.

I think a 'Greatest Hits'-compilation implies only singles, so we have to look at the list of Morrissey-singles to form any judgement about the GH-tracklist, and looking at it, one can easily see the weak spots in the tracklist:

Best Morrissey-single ('Greatest Hits' in bold):

1) Everyday Is Like Sunday 9,57
2) Suedehead 9,55

3) Now My Heart Is Full (US Only) 9,55
4) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys 9,46
5) November Spawned A Monster 9,08
6) The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get 8,99
7) Irish Blood, English Heart 8,97
8) First Of The Gang To Die 8,96

9) Tomorrow (US only) 8,87
10) Piccadilly Palare 8,83
11) Let Me Kiss You 8,54
12) I Have Forgiven Jesus 8,47

13) Hold On To Your Friends 8,42
14) Sunny 8,41
15) My Love Life 8,39
16) Interesting Drug 8,34
17) We Hate It When Our Friends Become Succesful 8,22
18) Boxers 8,20
19) You Have Killed Me 8,14
20) Sing Your Life 8,01
21) The Boy Racer 7,97
22) Alma Matters 7,95
23) Satan Rejected My Soul 7,86
24) Certain People I Know 7,85
25) Ouija Board, Ouija Board 7,75
26) Our Frank 7,74
27) In The Future When All’s Well 7,66
28) You’re The One For Me Fatty 7,38
29) That’s How People Grow Up 7,37
30) Pregnant For The Last Time 7,35
31) The Youngest Was The Most Loved 7,30
32) Interlude 7,26
33) I Just Want To See The Boy Happy 7,17
34) Redondo Beach 6,93
35) Roy’s Keen 6,85
36) Dagenham Dave 6,81

Splendid work, Houdinin. Really fascinating stuff.

One request I have, though, is an average score per songwriter. Of those who have written at least 5 or 6 songs with Morrissey, I expect the order is something like;

1. Marr
2. Street
3. Boorer
4. Nevin
5. Whyte
6. Tobias

with scores going from over 8 for Street and Marr to maybe around 7 for Tobias. would be cool to know.
cheers.
Maurice

and why are so many Smiths songs like "Handsome Devil", "Sweet And Tender Hooligan", "Stretch Out And Wait", "What She Said", "Unloveable", "These Things Take Time" and "You've Got Everything Now" rated so high? theyre good songs, but these are the kind of songs that Morrissey&Marr could turn out in their sleep back then- hardly comparable to utter classic gems from the solo-era like "Interesting Drug", "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful", "Boxers", "Glamorous Glue", "Sing Your Life", "The Boy Racer", "Alma Matters", "Certain People I Know", "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" and "Our Frank" which all rank outside the top100..

Actually, I think all those Smiths songs are much better than those solo songs, especially stuff like "We Had It when Our Friends ...", "Boxers", "Certain People I Know", "Ouija Board" and "Our Frank", which range from average to downright dross.

Actually, I think all those Smiths songs are much better than those solo songs, especially stuff like "We Had It when Our Friends ...", "Boxers", "Certain People I Know", "Ouija Board" and "Our Frank", which range from average to downright dross.

well, yure fookin wrong.

most shocking entry in the top100:
"Friday Mourning"- this is not a very good song. so much melodrama amounting to nothing and easily the worst pun of Morrissey's career.

Can't agree more

and why are so many Smiths songs like "Handsome Devil", "Sweet And Tender Hooligan", "Stretch Out And Wait", "What She Said", "Unloveable", "These Things Take Time" and "You've Got Everything Now" rated so high? theyre good songs, but these are the kind of songs that Morrissey&Marr could turn out in their sleep back then- hardly comparable to utter classic gems from the solo-era like "Interesting Drug", "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful", "Boxers", "Glamorous Glue", "Sing Your Life", "The Boy Racer", "Alma Matters", "Certain People I Know", "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" and "Our Frank" which all rank outside the top100. christ, look how high "I Don't Owe You Anything" is- if there were ever a forgettable Smiths song, thats it.

Can hardly disagree more - if you can't hear the quality difference between let's say Sweet and tender hooligan and The boy racer ...

Can hardly disagree more - if you can't hear the quality difference between let's say Sweet and tender hooligan and The boy racer ...

imight giv that comparison a toss up, but compare something like "Stretch Out And Wait" (a lovely little song) to say "Boxers"- it should be no context for the solo effort, but there is sucha slant towards The Smiths- always has been.

theres no doubt that The Smiths catalogue is far more consistent and that generally possesses a ceratin magic that is absent in the solo cannon, but Morrissey's solo work is far too underrated- even by many of his most ardent fans.

Back
Top Bottom