The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 145: REEL AROUND THE FOUNTAIN

How do you rate Reel Around The Fountain?

• Total voters
It's so beautiful, delicate and unique, I loved it. 10. It makes me feel so mechancoly for some reason, it's incredibly lovely.

"and they were so wrong"

:D

also those two beats/notes right before "15 minutes with you"

and and and and

it's full of classic lines and moments. Is there a section of it that couldn't be quoted? No.

a 7

again, a good track from the Smiths debut album though the producing
of this song is more annoying than on 'Pretty girls make Graves'...it's
too dark, too doom laden, it could be more brighter, [as I wrote in PGMG]

the song is also too long, and I mean it could've cut short, if they didn't
repeat several parts over and over I would've been a classic song

the finest line is ;
I deamt about you last night, and I felt out of bed twice

remaster those early works, please!

I gave it 20 out of 10. I think it's beautiful. It makes me sad. For some reason, the key change at this point in the song, and the lyrics just get me:

I dreamt about you last night
And I fell out of bed twice
You can pin and mount me like a butterfly
But "take me to the haven of your bed"
Was something that you never said
Two lumps, please
You're the bee's knees
But so am I

Beautiful :)

9/10. A simply wonderful song. Great lyrics, beautiful lyrics, the whole package.​

This is a work of art. Lyrical perfection and beautiful music.

I don't think The Smiths is the best Smiths-album by a long way (and yes, it could do with a decent remaster), but it does have the best opening and closing track of any Smiths/Morrissey-album - and a great middle-section as well :)

This is a work of art. Lyrical perfection and beautiful music.

I don't think The Smiths is the best Smiths-album by a long way (and yes, it could do with a decent remaster), but it does have the best opening and closing track of any Smiths/Morrissey-album - and a great middle-section as well :)

This is one of the reasons I'm delighted the box-set finally seems to be happening, with Johnny Marr remastering all the albums - a good remaster of The Smiths would make a massive difference to it, and put it up there with the other three (I do think, at the moment, it's generally the weakest).

But even better, the possibility, which Johnny mentioned, of the Troy Tate album being in the set. A remastered version of the stunning Tate version of "Reel Around the Fountain" would be a beautiful thing.

we did a "my inspiration" wall display at work with favourite lyric/film quote etc and I chose the "dreamt about you last night.." section of this song for mine . When the lyrics were put up on the wall Si at work missed off the "...but so am I" bit ... the fool ! My favourite smiths lyric and a beautiful beautiful song.

Controversial but definitely my fave Smiths tune. But there again I change my mind every single day.
Tomorrow it'll be probably be The Queen Is Dead or even Rusholme Ruffians.
There again it could be Sheila Take A Bow or Shoplifters.............Oh sod it they're all friggin fantastic.:confused::confused:

Months later i know - As i write this i am watching a carry on film on tv . bernard breslaw is in bed in a hospital and he turns to the nurse and says "i dreamt about you last night" - the nurse replies "did you ?" - Breslaw says "NO you wouldn't let me" Maybe the influence was not a taste of honey after all

100, really really really love this song.
The Peel session version (from "Hatfull Of Horrow") is just brilliant, one of the best songs ever written in the music history.

How can anybody else write such a tune, but Moz and Johnny?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom