the never played symphonies

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
just struck me as 1 of morrisseys most under rated songs - dont really understand it but seem to think it is about so much regret about things and people never done - or is it something else?

just struck me as 1 of morrisseys most under rated songs - dont really understand it but seem to think it is about so much regret about things and people never done - or is it something else?

I'd say you hit the nail on the head with that description. It seems to be about death, reflection, and regret. It really does sound like he's on his deathbed.

This has a very similar meaning and as i lie on my deathbed i will think back to those that i have loved and lost, (or not even had:D) It is one of my favourite songs.

As someone once said "The Never Played Symphonies is the best Morrissey song of the 21st Century"

When I first heard it, I was left questioning why it remained as a b-side when, say, "All The Lazy Dykes" made it on the album. Oh well.
"You slipped right through my fingers - no not literally, but metaphorically" is such a great line.

When I first heard it, I was left questioning why it remained as a b-side when, say, "All The Lazy Dykes" made it on the album. Oh well.
"You slipped right through my fingers - no not literally, but metaphorically" is such a great line.

"You laughed and kissed me on the cheek...and then were gone...forever...not quite...."

Amazing

me too :confused:
&
yes, I LOVE THAT LINE :o

me too :confused:
&
yes, I LOVE THAT LINE :o

I said it once before, what is the point of "All The Lazy Dykes?" I'm not too enthoused about a song about moped riding lesbians...

I said it once before, what is the point of "All The Lazy Dykes?" I'm not too enthoused about a song about moped riding lesbians...
i know, i did wonder though
are they fat lesbian bull dykes
or
kind of hot ones
pj-harvey01.jpg

like pj harvey :confused:

never played symphones can be found where? a b-side, i must have missed this song somewhere in my travels...

It is one of my fave songs too,
havent listened to it in ages though as it causes me great 'Moz lust' pain.

never played symphones can be found where? a b-side, i must have missed this song somewhere in my travels...

CD single #2 of Irish Blood, English Heart and "Deluxe" version of You Are The Quarry...

B-side really doesn't apply anymore (with the demise of vinyl, and the uselessness of cassettes) but I think the term will stay with us forever :D

such a great song.. i wish to hear it live *sigh*

"The Never Played Symphonies"

"Reflecting from my deathbed
I'm balancing life's riches against the ditches
and the flat gray years in between
All I can see are the never-laid
That's the never-played symphonies"

As Morrissey is facing death after a long and amazing life he is weighing up the successes he has had with the miseries he suffered before (and during) his success. But despite the highs and lows the only thing he is drawn to are the songs that he hasn't written - the ideas and works in progress that one day he wanted to arrange and perform but which will never be recorded or heard except in his mind.

"I can't see those who tried to love me
All those who felt they understood me
and I can't see those who very patiently put up with me
All I can see are the never-laid
Or the never-played symphonies"

During this evaluation of his life he is not concerned about his family, friends or loved ones. All the people who admired him - fans, colleagues, confidants etc - who tried to get close to him over the years mean nothing. All he can think about are the songs he wanted to write.

"You were one, you meant to be one
and you jumped into my face and laughed
and kissed me on the cheek and then were gone forever
...not quite"

One of the songs he wanted to complete was about a fan who broke through his security and managed to kiss him before bring whisked away. Out of the thousands of adoring fans who try to get near to him year in year out, the few seconds of this one cheerful fan remained in his memory. His tribute to the fan is this song. "Gone forever … not quite" meaning that the fan has been immortalised in this song.

"Black sky in the daytime
and I don't much mind dying
When there is nothing left to care for anymore
Just the never-laid, the never-played symphonies"

As the end approaches and blindness takes over, he is at ease and has no fear of death. All the things he cared for when he was alive he no longer has to care for as his life is ending, and so he doesn't. But even slipping from this mortal coil doesn't stop him from thinking about the songs he will never write.

"You were one, you knew you were one
and you slipped right through my fingers
No not literally but metaphorically
and now you're all I see as the light fades"

Particularly, he is thinking about the song he wanted to write about this one fan. He even comes up with a cheeky euphemism which he would have used in the song… And when he finally dies his last thought is with this one fan and the song under construction which will never be heard (Not quite, indeed).

In this song he is telling us that his music and the effect it has on people who it touches is the most important thing in his life - more so even than the legions of people who adore him and those who have entered his personal life. The song has an abstract quality in that the song itself is one that he will be wishing he had the time to write on his deathbed.

Not a bad tune, Moz. Not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom