The new cooking thread

Apple Brioche

Attachments

• IMG_20190526_081918-1984x1488.jpg
    IMG_20190526_081918-1984x1488.jpg
    666.6 KB · Views: 0
GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY
A seasonal one, especially for TAT and her impressive glut of green tomatoes. I last made this years ago but do remember how good it was with cheddar. I left the sultanas out as I can't stand them (nasty, slimy slugs) but I'm sure they are a fine addition if you like that sort of thing.

upload_2019-10-13_19-30-13.png

Picture credit: cooksister.com https://www.cooksister.com/2008/11/spicy-green-tomato-and-apple-chutney-move-over-mrs-balls.html This one actually sounds quite similar to mine and this is more or less how I remember it looking.

MAKES ABOUT 3 LBS
Prep time 20 mins
Cooking time approx 2 hours

INGREDIENTS
1lb cooking apples
2 onions, skinned
3lbs green tomatoes
8oz sultanas
80z demerara sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 pint malt vinegar
4 small pieces dried root ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder

1. Peel, quarter and core the apples. Finely grate the apples and onions. Thinly slice the tomatoes.
2. Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients are tender and reduced to a thick consistency and no excess liquid remains. Discard ginger.
3. Spoon the chutney into jars, cover and seal in the usual way.

Great tip, evennow! I knew about the bananas and the ethylene, but not the paper bags. And I didn't know that putting them on a sunny windowsill was the wrong thing. Interesting stuff.

Yes, and unlike popcorn where you make a batch and have to throw away the un-popped kernels, when you check the bag every day the tomatoes generally ripen at different times so you could have a month where a few become ripe each day. Oh, and one more tip: Never refrigerate tomatoes! Once this is done, the fresh off the vine taste is ruined. :(

GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY
A seasonal one, especially for TAT and her impressive glut of green tomatoes. I last made this years ago but do remember how good it was with cheddar. I left the sultanas out as I can't stand them (nasty, slimy slugs) but I'm sure they are a fine addition if you like that sort of thing.

View attachment 53126

Picture credit: cooksister.com https://www.cooksister.com/2008/11/spicy-green-tomato-and-apple-chutney-move-over-mrs-balls.html This one actually sounds quite similar to mine and this is more or less how I remember it looking.

MAKES ABOUT 3 LBS
Prep time 20 mins
Cooking time approx 2 hours

INGREDIENTS
1lb cooking apples
2 onions, skinned
3lbs green tomatoes
8oz sultanas
80z demerara sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 pint malt vinegar
4 small pieces dried root ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder

1. Peel, quarter and core the apples. Finely grate the apples and onions. Thinly slice the tomatoes.
2. Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the ingredients are tender and reduced to a thick consistency and no excess liquid remains. Discard ginger.
3. Spoon the chutney into jars, cover and seal in the usual way.
This looks great, Pep! Thank you! I think I have everything on hand, too. Except the sultanas. Yuck! Why would I want those in there ruining a perfectly nice chutney?!

60272C5B-FB16-4FF0-A710-D6062D048918.jpeg

Spiced Tomato Jam

(Suitable for Speech Jam)

5 pounds (2.3 kg) ripe red plum tomatoes
2 large lemons
2 cups (200 g) vanilla sugar
2 tablespoons good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
2 fresh chili peppers, minced

5 sterilized 1/2-pint jars & lids
Basic water bath for canning

1. Slice small “X” at end of tomatoes and submerge them in boiling water for 1 minute. Plunge into ice water bath. Remove skins, stems and de-seed. Or process through a chinois or food grinder, as I did.
  2. Zest & juice lemons. Add to large non-reactive pot with tomato juice & pulp. Stir in sugar, vinegar, salt, cloves, bay leaves, and chili peppers. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
  3. Continue to cook at a lively simmer until jam is glossy and thick enough that you can drag a path along the bottom with a silicon spatula. (This took maybe 3 hours for a double batch.)
  4. When jam is done cooking, fish out cloves and bay leaves.
  5. Ladle jam into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/2” of head space. Wipe rims clean and screw on canning lids.
  6. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jars and let them sit upright till room temperature.
  7. Store in a dark place for up to 1 year. Refrigerate after opening.

Makes 2 1/2 pints

D156113C-6C14-4BF2-96FB-C23974046957.jpeg

I used the Spiced Tomato Jam above in place of ketchup with my fries for a recent meal. I also had a veggie meatball sub which used my homemade tomato sauce. This was really good. I should do this again!

View attachment 53130

Spiced Tomato Jam

2 large lemons
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 whole cloves
2 bay leaves

1. Slice small “X” at end of tomatoes and submerge them in boiling water for 1 minute. Plunge into ice water bath. Remove skins, stems and de-seed. Or process through a chinois or food grinder, as I did.
  2. Zest & juice lemons. Add to large non-reactive pot with tomato juice & pulp. Stir in sugar, vinegar, salt, cloves, bay leaves, and chili peppers. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
  3. Continue to cook at a lively simmer until jam is glossy and thick enough that you can drag a path along the bottom with a silicon spatula. (This took maybe 3 hours for a double batch.)
  5. Ladle jam into sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/2” of head space. Wipe rims clean and screw on canning lids.
  6. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove jars and let them sit upright till room temperature.

Makes 2 1/2 pints

View attachment 53131
I used the Spiced Tomato Jam above in place of ketchup with my fries for a recent meal. I also had a veggie meatball sub which used my homemade tomato sauce. This was really good. I should do this again!
Looks lovely, TAT. Anything with balsamic vinegar is a winner in my book. The vanilla sugar is an interesting addition too. Next time I'm invited to the WI, I'll know what to take ;)

This is great! Thank you! Just have to find more paper bags. All of mine have sunflower heads in them drying for the next couple weeks!

Sunflowers are my favorite flower! They are so warm and cheerful, and always remind me of fall (my favorite season.) Not too mention they contain within them my favorite snack. Roasted sunflower seeds with the lightest bit of salt and nothing else are a treat. I am not one for the powder covered ones like garlic or spices. Some things are better all-natural. :):sunflower::thumb:

kscpt%20sunflower.jpg

Sunflowers are my favorite flower! They are so warm and cheerful, and always remind me of fall (my favorite season.) Not too mention they contain within them my favorite snack. Roasted sunflower seeds with the lightest bit of salt and nothing else are a treat. I am not one for the powder covered ones like garlic or spices. Some things are better all-natural. :):sunflower::thumb:

kscpt%20sunflower.jpg

Yes! And you can make sunflower "butter", activating the seeds by soaking them in water during at least 24 hours. It seems they have anti-depressant effects because their phenylalanine content.

Yes! And you can make sunflower "butter", activating the seeds by soaking them in water during at least 24 hours. It seems they have anti-depressant effects because their phenylalanine content.

That sounds great...I think we need to put TAT to work on this at once!

And when you combine that with dark chocolate...well now...you have my interest. Although, it looks as though Trader Joe's no longer sells them as of this year.
s-l300.jpg

View attachment 53130

Spiced Tomato Jam

2 large lemons
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 whole cloves
2 bay leaves

Makes 2 1/2 pints

View attachment 53131

Not sure how your job search is coming along, but you do have a calling here. You mentioned going to a farmer's market all summer long. Seems like you could get your own booth to sell your goodies. I am not a fan of vegetables in general, but I love to eat salsa, and this along with the other jarred items you make could be quite profitable. I can see it now "TAT's Tongue Tinglers" brand of salsa. Put me on the shipping list!

That sounds great...I think we need to put TAT to work on this at once!

And when you combine that with dark chocolate...well now...you have my interest. Although, it looks as though Trader Joe's no longer sells them as of this year.
s-l300.jpg

Never thought about chocolate. I make sunflower butter with a pinch of salt, activated seeds, not toasted, not oil.

View attachment 53130

Spiced Tomato Jam

2 large lemons
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 whole cloves
2 bay leaves

Makes 2 1/2 pints

View attachment 53131

It looks great, but tomatoes are poisonous for some people... :(

kscpt%20sunflower.jpg
Me and P placed one each on my dads dead body and they followed him into the coffin. Made sense to do that as he loved the sun.

Back
Top Bottom