The new cooking thread

Sunflowers are my favorite flower! They are so warm and cheerful, and always remind me of fall (my favorite season.) Not too mention they contain within them my favorite snack. Roasted sunflower seeds with the lightest bit of salt and nothing else are a treat. I am not one for the powder covered ones like garlic or spices. Some things are better all-natural. :):sunflower::thumb:

kscpt%20sunflower.jpg
Sunflower oil will clog up your arteries. Insane that cheap shop chains are allowed to sell products full of it. Rolf was strictly told to avoid them as it caused his heart attack so in turn he warned me and others.

"How can they allow them so sell this shit" he said all upset.

@Peppermint! I need your help! for cooking this time! I decided I had better read up on it a little in case I get a job where I need to pretend ive been cooking all my life. (im just reading about it right now, not doing it!!)

for example I was looking at these instructions on how to cook chicken, and it says on step 4 to let the chicken rest. where do you let the chicken rest? can you let it rest in the pan when you've removed it from the heat? or do you take it off and put it on a cooling rack, or plate? see, it's these little things that stump me and make me not want to bother at all!

@Peppermint! I need your help! for cooking this time! I decided I had better read up on it a little in case I get a job where I need to pretend ive been cooking all my life. (im just reading about it right now, not doing it!!)

for example I was looking at these instructions on how to cook chicken, and it says on step 4 to let the chicken rest. where do you let the chicken rest? can you let it rest in the pan when you've removed it from the heat? or do you take it off and put it on a cooling rack, or plate? see, it's these little things that stump me and make me not want to bother at all!
Um, happy to help, but if you need to pretend you've been cooking all your life I fear there may be bigger issues ahead than where to rest your chicken :lbf:
I just rest mine in the roating pan on the stove top. In theory it's supposed to let the juices sink back into the meat (I think). I'm never sure whether that's true since I have sometimes just whacked it straight from the oven to the plates if I've messed up my timing, and I can't say I've noticed much difference. But in my opinion the best argument for resting a chicken/turkey/whatever is that it' s BLOODY hot when it's fresh out of the oven and you burn your fingers trying to carve it.

What is this new career you are pursuing? Housekeeper? Live-in chef? Nanny? Trophy wife? PA? Companion? Do tell!

Um, happy to help, but if you need to pretend you've been cooking all your life I fear there may be bigger issues ahead than where to rest your chicken :lbf:
I just rest mine in the roating pan on the stove top. In theory it's supposed to let the juices sink back into the meat (I think). I'm never sure whether that's true since I have sometimes just whacked it straight from the oven to the plates if I've messed up my timing, and I can't say I've noticed much difference. But in my opinion the best argument for resting a chicken/turkey/whatever is that it' s BLOODY hot when it's fresh out of the oven and you burn your fingers trying to carve it.

What is this new career you are pursuing? Housekeeper? Live-in chef? Nanny? Trophy wife? PA? Companion? Do tell!
oh you know, any of those. oh pep im a lost cause! I cant even be a maid because I don't know how to clean!! I mean, I know how to clean but not in depth. I don't know all the products to use (I just use windex and Lysol on everything).

so, like, if you leave the chicken to rest on the pan, wont the pan still be hot? and then the chicken, wont it keep cooking?!

oh you know, any of those. oh pep im a lost cause! I cant even be a maid because I don't know how to clean!! I mean, I know how to clean but not in depth. I don't know all the products to use (I just use windex and Lysol on everything).

so, like, if you leave the chicken to rest on the pan, wont the pan still be hot? and then the chicken, wont it keep cooking?!
The pan cools fairly quickly once it's out of the oven. Yes, the chicken does sort of keep cooking because of the heat contained within the skin, but obviously this reduces as it cools.
Oh, I'm sure you could clean, it's hardly *astrophysics (*insert intellectually demanding subject of your choice here). May I suggest an equipment list?
Bathroom: multi-purpose anti-bacterial cleaning spray (70p from Tesco); toilet cleaner (also 70p); pack of foam sponges with plastic scouring surface (£1.50)
Kitchen: De-greasing spray (£1.00); Oven Pride oven cleaner (£3.00); pack of sponge cleaners (£1.00); pack of dishcloths (£1.00); pair of Marigold gloves (£2.50)
General: Pack of 4 dusters (for general dust removal on shelves, skirtings and other grotty places that people hate to clean) (£2.00)

There you go, I have set you up in business for a little over £12.00 :tiphat:

The pan cools fairly quickly once it's out of the oven. Yes, the chicken does sort of keep cooking because of the heat contained within the skin, but obviously this reduces as it cools.
Oh, I'm sure you could clean, it's hardly *astrophysics (*insert intellectually demanding subject of your choice here). May I suggest an equipment list?
Bathroom: multi-purpose anti-bacterial cleaning spray (70p from Tesco); toilet cleaner (also 70p); pack of foam sponges with plastic scouring surface (£1.50)
Kitchen: De-greasing spray (£1.00); Oven Pride oven cleaner (£3.00); pack of sponge cleaners (£1.00); pack of dishcloths (£1.00); pair of Marigold gloves (£2.50)
General: Pack of 4 dusters (for general dust removal on shelves, skirtings and other grotty places that people hate to clean) (£2.00)

There you go, I have set you up in business for a little over £12.00 :tiphat:
that's awesome! now I just need a lil bucket to put it all in and and a lil babuschka scarf to tie around my head, maybe some business cards advertising my services. thanks pep!

don't I need some sort of polish for tables and such, or is that not expected?

that's awesome! now I just need a lil bucket to put it all in and and a lil babuschka scarf to tie around my head, maybe some business cards advertising my services. thanks pep!

don't I need some sort of polish for tables and such, or is that not expected?
Yeah, I forgot a couple of items actually.
Mr Sheen furniture spray (for wood tables etc) (£1.35)
Tesco window cleaning spray (for windows and mirrors) (70p)
Method multi-purpose pink grapefruit spray cleaner (for everything else) (£3.00)

There you go, you're all set up now. Rifke's Cleaning Company, coming to your neighbourhood soon :)

Yeah, I forgot a couple of items actually.
Mr Sheen furniture spray (for wood tables etc) (£1.35)
Tesco window cleaning spray (for windows and mirrors) (70p)
Method multi-purpose pink grapefruit spray cleaner (for everything else) (£3.00)

There you go, you're all set up now. Rifke's Cleaning Company, coming to your neighbourhood soon :)
when you're hired to clean someones house do you have to clean every surface? like, even the outside of cupboard doors? do I need my own vacuum--cause that might be a big problem!

and how do I make contacts? should I just get business cards and hand them out to people? or should I advertise online?

ALSO, how do you find nanny jobs and elder care jobs in the UK? do they advertise in newspapers?

when you're hired to clean someones house do you have to clean every surface? like, even the outside of cupboard doors? do I need my own vacuum--cause that might be a big problem!

and how do I make contacts? should I just get business cards and hand them out to people? or should I advertise online?

ALSO, how do you find nanny jobs and elder care jobs in the UK? do they advertise in newspapers?
I think it depends. I had someone come to clean my last house when I moved out, because I was too ill to do it myself and I needed to hand it back to the landlord in a spotless condition. They arrived in a little van with their own hoover, carpet cleaner, everything. But the few people I have known who have a cleaner for a few hours a week, every week, generally provide their own hoover (and maybe even all the cleaning products). I think if you're pushing it as a 'mobile service' etc you might need your own stuff, otherwise you just turn up and use theirs.

Yeah, I think people would be quite pernickety about every surface at least being flicked over with a duster, otherwise why pay someone to do it? At my first job in a music shop when I was 18, the boss used to run his finger round the surfaces for dust and continually complain that the poor cleaner Daisy (a plump, sweaty, sweet-natured Jamaican woman who sang hymns as she cleaned) wasn't doing her job.

You can advertise free on Yell.com (electronic yellow pages), Facebook local pages etc. Cards in newsagent/general store windows (where people place notices of things for sale).

There are lots of sites advertising nanny/carer jobs but I think you would struggle without a qualification or relevant experience. I think the days of people strolling into these jobs without either are long gone unfortunately - more's the pity, if you've ever read Love, Nina. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Nina-Despatches-Family-Life/dp/0670922765

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think it depends. I had someone come to clean my last house when I moved out, because I was too ill to do it myself and I needed to hand it back to the landlord in a spotless condition. They arrived in a little van with their own hoover, carpet cleaner, everything. But the few people I have known who have a cleaner for a few hours a week, every week, generally provide their own hoover (and maybe even all the cleaning products). I think if you're pushing it as a 'mobile service' etc you might need your own stuff, otherwise you just turn up and use theirs.

Yeah, I think people would be quite pernickety about every surface at least being flicked over with a duster, otherwise why pay someone to do it? At my first job in a music shop when I was 18, the boss used to run his finger round the surfaces for dust and continually complain that the poor cleaner Daisy (a plump, sweaty, sweet-natured Jamaican woman who sang hymns as she cleaned) wasn't doing her job.

You can advertise free on Yell.com (electronic yellow pages), Facebook local pages etc. Cards in newsagent/general store windows (where people place notices of things for sale).

There are lots of sites advertising nanny/carer jobs but I think you would struggle without a qualification or relevant experience. I think the days of people strolling into these jobs without either are long gone unfortunately - more's the pity, if you've ever read Love, Nina. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Nina-Despatches-Family-Life/dp/0670922765
never read it!

ugh, pep this is all so discouraging. I don't even want to be a nanny or a stupid caregiver anyway. I just thought that's what illegal immigrants did, because the employers could pay them less. in the documentary's I've seen that's what the people end up doing. maybe ill just go to Austria and find work on a farm.

im in a bad mood. a lady from Victoria is coming here in December and asked if I wanted to have lunch, but of course im going to be fasting then! so I don't know what to tell her! it makes me mad that I didn't just do it already and then I would be able to go for lunch with the nice lady. and since im not drinking coffee on this fast, we cant do coffee either. well, she can drink and/or eat and I can just sit there. would that be weird, pep pep? (sorry if Im mistaking you for the answers lady here :lbf:)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
never read it!

ugh, pep this is all so discouraging. I don't even want to be a nanny or a stupid caregiver anyway. I just thought that's what illegal immigrants did, because the employers could pay them less. in the documentary's I've seen that's what the people end up doing. maybe ill just go to Austria and find work on a farm.

im in a bad mood. a lady from Victoria is coming here in December and asked if I wanted to have lunch, but of course im going to be fasting then! so I don't know what to tell her! it makes me mad that I didn't just do it already and then I would be able to go for lunch with the nice lady. and since im not drinking coffee on this fast, we cant do coffee either. well, she can drink and/or eat and I can just sit there. would that be weird, pep pep? (sorry if Im mistaking you for the answers lady here :lbf:)
May I suggest a compromise of peppermint tea? ;) I have this a lot as there are loads of things I cannot eat/drink, so I often have to sit there saying, 'It's fine, you carry on, I'll just drink my tea.' I would think as long as you have something in front of you it's not too weird.

Our immigration system is all about to change (if Boris gets in on Dec 12), as we will apparently have an Australian-style points system, and the same rules will apply to EU and non-EU countries. Not sure if this helps you or not...

May I suggest a compromise of peppermint tea? ;) I have this a lot as there are loads of things I cannot eat/drink, so I often have to sit there saying, 'It's fine, you carry on, I'll just drink my tea.' I would think as long as you have something in front of you it's not too weird.

Our immigration system is all about to change (if Boris gets in on Dec 12), as we will apparently have an Australian-style points system, and the same rules will apply to EU and non-EU countries. Not sure if this helps you or not...
that sounds interesting. ill have to look it up. I wish I just knew what I was meant to do, then I would just do it no matter how difficult. but as it is now, I have nothing pulling me in one direction or the other.

I cant drink tea, it gives me acid reflux. I used to love peppermint tea too! ill have to drink coffee, maybe gross decaf, im sure that wouldn't hurt the fast. thanks for the advice!

oh no, bun bun, it's GOTTA be red. I love it! it's so imperial and exotic like something a duchess would wear--which is to say, it would suit me perfectly! :p how did you know??!?! that reminds me, I need to start wearing more red!
Right answer from someone trendy would have been blue. Imagine a air hostess in a red scarf.

LOL

oh no, bun bun, it's GOTTA be red. I love it! it's so imperial and exotic like something a duchess would wear--which is to say, it would suit me perfectly! :p how did you know??!?! that reminds me, I need to start wearing more red!

Yeah, it's a little regal. I immediately thought of you when I saw it. I love the cockatoo. It stands for positive change. I love a cockatoo that stands for positive change. :lbf:

Yeah, it's a little regal. I immediately thought of you when I saw it. I love the cockatoo. It stands for positive change. I love a cockatoo that stands for positive change. :lbf:
im so happy whenever anyone tells me something I like made them think of me! (usually it's just bunnies). I didn't know that about cockatoos. I like things with birds on it. I think things with birds on it are very 'me'. of course, I am named after a bird!

Back
Top Bottom