The OFFICIAL Miscellaneous Football (Soccer) Thread

McLovin

I'm usually half asleep during CL group stages, but that certainly hasn't been the case this year.

Liverpool, where do I begin? It seems that fourth place is all you've got to hope for, but even that's hardly an easy proposition considering that you don't have money to burn while City can't burn it fast enough.

Question: If City offered you some crazy money for Torres or Stevie G, could you refuse? While your initial reaction will probably be a resounding "no", you'll recall that Juventus did very well for themselves with the proceeds from the sale of Zidane. But if your answer is still "no", then what?

I think Torres would go, but Gerrard would stay.

I think Torres would go, but Gerrard would stay.

Well...I think Gerrard would go if the price is right. Real Madrid evidently has been after him for some time. If they splash some good cash, Liverpool might want to cash out, and Gerrard may be attracted by playing CL ball again, not to mention the prospect of playing with Galacticos II. :horny:

Well...I think Gerrard would go if the price is right. Real Madrid evidently has been after him for some time. If they splash some good cash, Liverpool might want to cash out, and Gerrard may be attracted by playing CL ball again, not to mention the prospect of playing with Galacticos II. :horny:

Maybe you have a point... it's more likely than him going to city.

I'm usually half asleep during CL group stages, but that certainly hasn't been the case this year.

Liverpool, where do I begin? It seems that fourth place is all you've got to hope for, but even that's hardly an easy proposition considering that you don't have money to burn while City can't burn it fast enough.

Question: If City offered you some crazy money for Torres or Stevie G, could you refuse? While your initial reaction will probably be a resounding "no", you'll recall that Juventus did very well for themselves with the proceeds from the sale of Zidane. But if your answer is still "no", then what?

What would be the use of selling either of the two? Gerrard isn't for sale. That's established as fact. If Torres were sold it would be against Rafa's bidding. He's already stated that he would walk if it were to happen. Besides, Torres has fallen head over heels with the club. I've never seen a foreigner take to a club's traditions and values as well as he has. Any noise about our supposed financial troubles is coming from the rags. All I've heard from Rafa, Purslow and the Yanks is that we're secure in that arena. Perhaps that doesn't leave us with massive amounts of money to throw at players, but we've a good enough team, anyway. We only need one - two, at most - additions to the first team, a touch more depth and an injury free squad.

Interesting fact - Bremen made more money from reaching the final of last year's UEFA Cup than Arsenal or Chelsea made from reaching the semi's of the Champions League.

What would be the use of selling either of the two? Gerrard isn't for sale. That's established as fact. If Torres were sold it would be against Rafa's bidding. He's already stated that he would walk if it were to happen. Besides, Torres has fallen head over heels with the club. I've never seen a foreigner take to a club's traditions and values as well as he has. Any noise about our supposed financial troubles is coming from the rags. All I've heard from Rafa, Purslow and the Yanks is that we're secure in that arena. Perhaps that doesn't leave us with massive amounts of money to throw at players, but we've a good enough team, anyway. We only need one - two, at most - additions to the first team, a touch more depth and an injury free squad.

Interesting fact - Bremen made more money from reaching the final of last year's UEFA Cup than Arsenal or Chelsea made from reaching the semi's of the Champions League.

Admittedly, the possibility of Gerrard and/or Torres leaving is remote. But objectively speaking, Gerrard is pushing 30. Yes, he's still one of the best, but for how much longer? Plus, his nagging injuries the past few years should be of great concern. It just might be the time to strike while the iron is still hot. And if there is an obscene bid where Liverpool could get two very high quality players in return, e.g., David Silva and Aguero (which would create a very robust front six), perhaps the rest of the war chest could be used to bolster the squad since, of course, squad rotation is of utmost importance particularly with the numerous important games that must be played in a given year.

Furthermore, the Gerrard-Torres era thus far hasn't produced any trophies. Two years ago, they came in fourth. Last year, they did quite well obviously, but they were very inconsistent. This year, they've been hit by injuries, but I also think they suffered greatly with the loss of Alonso. Objectively speaking, I probably would pull the trigger.

Have you wathced the Circus II this year? if they go for anyone from Liverpool anytime soon, it'll need to be Agger ;)

Yeah I agree with Kyle. Gerrard is exactly what Real do not need! I can't see how Gerrard would fit in at all.

Then again it wouldn't surprise me if they got him and played him defensive midfield, just like they did with Gravesen :lbf:

Real Madrid should be renamed Defenders Graveyard

My daughter's in a championship soccer game this morning. Go Aliens!

what, it says miscellaneous....

My daughter's in a championship soccer game this morning. Go Aliens!

what, it says miscellaneous....

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats...I wouldn't tell you, except the "Turkey Bowl" (re-named the Mud Bowl today) was extra special. It went 0-0 and they had a shoot-out at the end, 5 girls from each team took turns kicking it at the opposing goal(ie). My daughter's was the only one that went in!!! :guitar: Her only goal of the whole season. :o:thumb:

Aliens are #1!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Barcelona are good, Real Madrid are evil!!

Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Xavi, Pedro, Iniesta, Messi all Barca academy products Vs £500m worth of evil

I'm very much looking forward to El Clasico.

4-2 Barca.

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats...I wouldn't tell you, except the "Turkey Bowl" (re-named the Mud Bowl today) was extra special. It went 0-0 and they had a shoot-out at the end, 5 girls from each team took turns kicking it at the opposing goal(ie). My daughter's was the only one that went in!!! :guitar: Her only goal of the whole season. :o:thumb:

Aliens are #1!!

That's only supposed to happen in the movies...like the Karate Kid. Good on ya, kid and mumsy.

Looking forward to sunday to watch Aresenal hammer the oil tycoons from West London. Cmon'.

Awwwwww! Did the poor diddums who like to walk the ball into the net without any challenges lose to the nasty proper men today?

Interesting from Lawrenson on Match of the day saying that Anelka is an early contender for player of the year. Anelka seems to have made a new position - 2nd striker as the new playmaker. Ancelotti seems to have given him a free role. As Danny Baker would say - nothing can go wrong now!

Awwwwww! Did the poor diddums who like to walk the ball into the net without any challenges lose to the nasty proper men today?

Interesting from Lawrenson on Match of the day saying that Anelka is an early contender for player of the year. Anelka seems to have made a new position - 2nd striker as the new playmaker. Ancelotti seems to have given him a free role. As Danny Baker would say - nothing can go wrong now!

African Nations Cup can't come soon enough. :p

Edit: World Cup drawing two days away. :rock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom