the OFFICIAL world cup 2010 thread

Beat Slovenia & win the group, it's still easy.

You didn't win the group. America did. USA won the group. The united States topped England in the group that England called "easy".

E-ngland
A-lgeria
S-lovenia
Y-anks

Well, America was by far the best team in that group. America was denied 2 (and arguably 3) goals by corrupt refs, and denied a win by a corrupt ref. Yet America still won the group.

And it was a tight overtime game vs. Ghana.

But what was most impressive about the Americans was the heart they showed. Coming back from behind, again and again. Never giving up. Luck was not on America's side in that overtime vs. Ghana, but the USA showed a lot this World Cup. They actually could've gone to the semi-finals, or beyond.

England was rubbish all tournament. Was not impressed by all those hyped up highly paid English players.

Jeez, those refs are out of control. FIFA should just bite the bullet and get some proper technology behind the net.

Anyway, I may as well come out of the closet and admit that I've been a Germany fan from the beginning, for sentimental reasons as well as the fact that I love the way they play the game.

Germany v. Argentina is going to be epic.

is there a rule that there is no such thing as a good football song?:p

from 74
:rofl:#

did the british players ever sang a song produced for them ?

beckenbauer also did sang some schlager song

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly, it wasn't a goal.

engl.png

England got robbed, it lowered their morale, they couldn't pull their game together.

It is a funny photo, but their losing really speaks to the strength it takes to pull it together despite adversity and put the past behind you.

England got robbed, it lowered their morale, they couldn't pull their game together.

It is a funny photo, but their losing really speaks to the strength it takes to pull it together despite adversity and put the past behind you.

You can do it, CG, but the England team certainly couldn't!
Funny picture.

The argument is, that being human, the Refs make mistakes and it's all part of the game. If the Refs always got it right there'd be nothing to argue about after the match. However, other sports have successfully integrated those technical screen thingies to good effect, so football could. Refs are very rarely corrupt. Mostly make mistakes which are remembered long after, much like goalkeepers' errors.

I had Spain down to win. But with Brazil expected to do well, too.

I'm only a casual follower of the game and as much as I'd have been happy for England to win, it was disappointing to say the least. What I couldn't understand was why we were wasting every opportunity to get the ball forward to feed the guys upfront. There seemed to be so much pointless, time-wasting passing across the middle of the pitch, running the risk of losing possession. I even saw at one point England taking a throw-in from the centre line into our OWN half of the pitch and wondered why on Earth you would play in the wrong direction with so much at stake. Whatever England were trying to do I don't know, perhaps some elaborate thing that works on the training ground with no opposition, but I noticed that almost every touch Germany got they turned in the direction of the England goal and attacked, which seems to be the fundamental formula. Is it that complicated? You get a touch on the ball and whack the f***er in the direction of the target goal. Perhaps England's players have no spacial awareness and lack intelligence, but it seems to me that they can't grasp what the purpose of the game is - i.e to kick in the direction of the opposition goal. If anybody can explain this I'd be fascinated. My own disinterest in football, by the way, began at primary school when I was always picked last for the team for being the class specky twat despite being fit and able to sprint faster than the rest of the class. Each game we played would be the same series of egomaniacal boys wanting to be the hero, not sharing or passing and ignoring team purpose (and specky twats). It seems that this vein obviously carries through to 'pro' football in adulthood. Answers on a postcard please.

4743602423_aca21fa7a4_b.jpg

'Tings' are hotting up now. Some of the last 16 football has been scintillating to watch. Loving the fact South American teams are in the ascendancy against the moneybags European federations. Tournaments always improve for me when England are no longer involved as we don't have to bear witness to the more jingoisitic and stupid elements of our national media coverage.

Brazil looked like they're ramping it up despite their backheel bonanza and the Dutch are starting to look the part (particulalry with Robben back) though I fear for them against Brazil.

Spain v Portugal could be a classic but will probably be a turgid scoreless draw with the Portuguese possibly reverting to Plan B and being a bit dirty. Lets hope not.

Thanks for the postcard CG. Although you didn't put a postage stamp on it and the postman billed me for the inconvenience:) I would agree that they lost their fight after the disallowed goal and gave up after the 3rd German Goal.

fifa head man sepp blatter has said sorry to england for the cock up on sunday and they will look at goal line tech in the future.i think it,s a bit late now to say sorry.but the german goal keeper shoud have been honest and put his hands up.but like france and argentina they are cheats as well:p

fifa head man sepp blatter has said sorry to england for the cock up on sunday and they will look at goal line tech in the future.i think it,s a bit late now to say sorry.but the german goal keeper shoud have been honest and put his hands up.but like france and argentina they are cheats as well:p

No way should the goalie own up - his country men would have killed him!

it's like cheating in an exam... you just move on with things and hope nobody notices (not that i'd know cause i've never cheated in any exam *covers tracks quickly*):eek:

So who's left in? Germany have won 3 times before... are they likely contenders? My money is still on Scotland making a last minute appearance:D

You didn't win the group. America did. USA won the group. The united States topped England in the group that England called "easy".

E-ngland
A-lgeria
S-lovenia
Y-anks

England didn't call the group easy, that's a quote from The Sun newspaper (they showed it on tv). The Sun had to make the group sound as easy as possible because the only reason their sports writers exist is to revel in England's failures.

Only twats read The Scum

portugal out now,yet another world superstar in" ronaldo" fails to show up at this world cup!

Truly amazing. The Dutch have beaten Brazil. Unbelievable. :guitar::D:thumb:

Well! Truly a game of two halfs. Brazil all over them in the first, looking to run away with the game. :cool: Holland battling back in the second.:thumb:
I started off thinking Brazil would win with their stylish play, but they relied too much on "winning" cheap free kicks (which the Ref rarely gave). Usual tactic is taking said free kicks quickly, ahead of the place of the foul. This usually takes at least one defender out of the game and allows them to break with advantage. But the Ref insisted on correct placing of the kick, which broke up the flow of the game and frustrated their efforts.

Bastos was lucky not to have been sent off, and Fabiano, I think it was, who took a hack at a Dutch player's jewels, unnoticed by the Ref.:eek: If they had kept their cool, they could have got back into it, what with the Dutch bottling it at the end with several clear chances wasted.

Great quote on the winning goal:

And Sneijder, 26, said: "It was an amazing game. I think we showed the whole world how we can play. Finally we won, we beat Brazil.

"This was my first header here, I don't think it will happen again, but it was great. The ball slipped on my bald head and went into the net, a great feeling."

Two tremendous games the two quarter-finals have been so far, (though Holland vs Brazil was one of the great Wpr;d Cup matches)

Looks like Uruguay v Ghana is going all the way? Curse of the commmentator?

Cripes alive. Never seen an end to a game like that!!! :guitar:

Tags
football hornets soccer vulvazelas
Back
Top Bottom