the overuse of the nickname "moz"

bedlam breakout

I never even heard of Morrissey been called moz until the comeback in 2004, to me Morrissey is short enough, is it cos of boz? where did all this moz stuff start? lets not get lazy with moz boz loz shnozz or fozz -its Morrissey and that's it

I never even heard of Morrissey been called moz until the comeback in 2004, to me Morrissey is short enough, is it cos of boz? where did all this moz stuff start? lets not get lazy with moz boz loz shnozz or fozz -its Morrissey and that's it

He's always been MOZ! Even the "Certain People I Know" 1992 7" PROMO has MOZ in big red letters!

Sweetie, you're sweating the small stuff.

I can remember Nick Kent writing in The Face with an interview with Morrissey around 1990. He called Morrissey "Moz", Morrissey replied it makes him feel like a racehorse.

I can remember Nick Kent writing in The Face with an interview with Morrissey around 1990. He called Morrissey "Moz", Morrissey replied it makes him feel like a racehorse.

He likes the name, otherwise the touring crew wouldn't have had "Moz Crew 59" shirts on last year.

I think in Mozipedia it says that Johnny started it and the name just stuck. Can't really remember any details though.

Not being a native British, i can only say what i observed. It's a British thing - they use this "-Z"with names to shorten them. See also Bez (Mark Berry) Gaz Whelan (both Happy Mondays), Boz, Gazza (Paul Gascoigne), Jez Williams (Jerry, of Doves fame). So Moz, Mozzer are just shot for Morrissey.

Feel free to correct me.

Not being a native British, i can only say what i observed. It's a British thing - they use this "-Z"with names to shorten them. See also Bez (Mark Berry) Gaz Whelan (both Happy Mondays), Boz, Gazza (Paul Gascoigne), Jez Williams (Jerry, of Doves fame). So Moz, Mozzer are just shot for Morrissey.

Feel free to correct me.

Jeremy Clarkson from top gear is often called Jezza as well.

Feel free to correct me.

That's exactly right

Johnny Marr made it up during the Smiths, started using it - and the name stuck. I've heard this in more than one interview - though frankly I can't be arsed to look them up right now.

In America before the internet we all pronounced it "Moes," like the bar in The Simpsons. :p When I realized all the Brits pronounced it MAHZ it ruined the Simpsons joke for me.

I always thought it was a bit disrespectful and too personal to call the great man Moz. I've sorta got used to it over the years.

By the way - bring back Jezza Jeremy Clarkson!

I was under the impression that it was simply a contracted form of 'Mozzer'.
As Bowie was also a 'Boz', it seems in keeping - in fact, I'm sure I read something about the Bowie influence on the name, but can't cite it.
I'm sure he gave an ok to the beanie saying Mozzer, so I'm pretty sure it's an established thing.
Regards,
FWD

From Autobiography:

"My own name is by now synonymous with the word ‘miserable’ in the press, so Johnny putters with ‘misery’ and playfully arrives at ‘misery mozzery’, which truncates to Moz, and I am classified ever after."

Back
Top Bottom