The Scary Movies Thread

The Scary Movies Thread :D

Since it's nearly Halloween, I thought we should have a thread about scary movies- our favourites, which ones scare us most etc. :)

I think possibly the scariest movies I've ever seen would be, in this order:

1. 'The Ring' was the first proper scary movie I ever watched, and it terrified me. I've seen it too many times for it to properly have an effect now, but I still find thinking about it quite creepy.

2. 'The Haunting In Conneticut'- I can't even watch this in broad daylight without getting seriously creeped out. It's just the morbidity of it that scares me. Why would anyone sleep next to a mortuary table by choice? *shudder*

3. 'The Grudge' (original Japanese version)

4. 'Mirrors'

5. 'Silent Hill'

6. The original 'Halloween'

I usually like the kind of scary movies that are related to the supernatural or curses, and remain in your consciousness for a long time. I still get chills thinking about many of the above, even after not watching them for a while.

How about everyone else?

Last edited:
I recently watched the Saw movies, and I really like them.

We watched Eden Lake recently and, although it's a bit weakly written and acted in parts, it was mega terrifying. It's just relentlessly violent and senseless, a bit like Wolf Creek but worse. And with chavs. And dogs. And it's got that girl from Eastenders in it, the one who was a 14 yr old prostitute who was gonna run away with Jay.

images

I think I have answered this in three former threads, but "Henry:portrait of a Serial Killer." was maybe one of the only movies that actually scared or disturbed me.The original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" scared me the first time I saw it when I was about 17, maybe 16.
I love horror films, gore ones especially.I love the older films and have quite the Hammer Horror Film collection.

I don't like being scared. I wish I had that thing that made being scared entertaining, but I'm not 'thrilled' by being scared, I'm just genuinely freaked out.

That said, I did like a little flick called The Exorcism of Emily Rose. It's mostly about the real-life court case about the death of a girl who was having demons exorcised. So most of it wasn't really scary, but I still freak out when I wake up at 3am on the button. "3am is the devil's hour." Whoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

And I really liked that one with Hilary Swank (and I'm not a fan) where all the plagues were happening, The Reaping. She's a biblical scientist. It was very interesting and not TOO scary for a big chicken like me.

I've seen 2 based on Stephen King stories:
1408 was a WAY better short story (actually kept me up at night) than a movie, and The Mist was just, well, kind of silly. If there are monsters outside eating people, you probably shouldn't go outside IMHO. :)

I recently watched the Saw movies, and I really like them.

I've only ever watched the beginning of the first 'Saw', and it didn't do much for me.

I don't like being scared. I wish I had that thing that made being scared entertaining, but I'm not 'thrilled' by being scared, I'm just genuinely freaked out.

That said, I did like a little flick called The Exorcism of Emily Rose. It's mostly about the real-life court case about the death of a girl who was having demons exorcised. So most of it wasn't really scary, but I still freak out when I wake up at 3am on the button. "3am is the devil's hour." Whoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

And I really liked that one with Hilary Swank (and I'm not a fan) where all the plagues were happening, The Reaping. She's a biblical scientist. It was very interesting and not TOO scary for a big chicken like me.

I've seen 2 based on Stephen King stories:
1408 was a WAY better short story (actually kept me up at night) than a movie, and The Mist was just, well, kind of silly. If there are monsters outside eating people, you probably shouldn't go outside IMHO. :)

'The Exorcism of Emily Rose' is pretty good, I love all that demony stuff. :thumb: I quite enjoyed '1408' and 'The Mist' for entertainment value, but I do agree that the monster theme for the latter was a tad ridiculous. The end made me cry though.

Re: The Scary Movies Thread :D

Since it's nearly Halloween, I thought we should have a thread about scary movies- our favourites, which ones scare us most etc. :)

I think possibly the scariest movies I've ever seen would be, in this order:

1. 'The Ring' was the first proper scary movie I ever watched, and it terrified me. I've seen it too many times for it to properly have an effect now, but I still find thinking about it quite creepy.

2. 'The Haunting In Conneticut'- I can't even watch this in broad daylight without getting seriously creeped out. It's just the morbidity of it that scares me. Why would anyone sleep next to a mortuary table by choice? *shudder*

3. 'The Grudge' (original Japanese version)

4. 'Mirrors'

5. 'Silent Hill'

6. The original 'Halloween'

I usually like the kind of scary movies that are related to the supernatural or curses, and remain in your consciousness for a long time. I still get chills thinking about many of the above, even after not watching them for a while.

How about everyone else?

aside from halloween, those are all incredibly shit. :thumb:

A short list of some of my favorite horror movies:
Silence of the Lambs
Halloween
The Thing
Se7en
The Fly
Flatliners
Hellraiser 1&2
Nightmare on Elm Street 1&3
The ReAnimator
The Invisible Man (Universal Pictures original.)
Jaws
The Exorcist
American Werewolf in London
Scream
American Psycho
Alien
The Lost Boys
Event Horizon
Misery
From Beyond
Dead Zone

I used to love horror movies when I was younger. Being scared was one of the best feelings. Now, I feel like I've become desensitized a bit, and unfortunately don't get that same feeling anymore. It's so truly disappointing. I'm always looking for it though.

Every Halloween since I could remember, I would always watch American Werewolf in London and Lost Boys. Probably my two favorite horror movies. They bring good memories and I love the movies themselves. I also love the original Halloween. Pet Cemetery was good and I also enjoyed the second one. I'm a fan of most zombie movies as well. Oh, and Creepshow 2. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I remember always loving to watch it.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hoTeq9h8cv4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hoTeq9h8cv4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hoTeq9h8cv4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hoTeq9h8cv4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Nice choice, Mr. Ghost! :thumb: I had the pleasure of watching this in full in my Film Studies lecture last week.

Spike and I love horror films, he cracks up when I jump out of my seat, which seems to happen quite a lot!! Loved the Hostel films. We saw a comedy horror with Danny Dyer in a couple of weeks ago, Doghouse, it was hilarious.

I watched The exorcist as a child and it caused me years of psychological damage.Although these days I'm not so easily scared,which is really no fun:(

Personally,the film I really want to see is 'paranormal activity'.
It will most likely turn out to be a pile of crap but whatever.

I watched The exorcist as a child and it caused me years of psychological damage.Although these days I'm not so easily scared,which is really no fun:(

Personally,the film I really want to see is 'paranormal activity'.
It will most likely turn out to be a pile of crap but whatever.

Another "Blair Witch" over-hyped pile, methinks.

Another "Blair Witch" over-hyped pile, methinks.

hmm.Well I actually decided to watch it online last night.(The original version shown at screamfest a couple of years ago which is slightly different from the version that's just been released in the US...sad that i know that,yes:D)

Anyway it was pretty impressive considering how low their budget was and yeah,it was creepy but how it came to be lauded as 'one of the scariest movies of all time!!!' is beyond me.Of course they couldn't very well come out and say 'paranormal activity is one the most deriative movies of all time but it's worth seeing so please do part with your cash and come along',it would be bad for business.

hmm.Well I actually decided to watch it online last night.(The original version shown at screamfest a couple of years ago which is slightly different from the version that's just been released in the US...sad that i know that,yes:D)

Anyway it was pretty impressive considering how low their budget was and yeah,it was creepy but how it came to be lauded as 'one of the scariest movies of all time!!!' is beyond me.Of course they couldn't very well come out and say 'paranormal activity is one the most deriative movies of all time but it's worth seeing so please do part with your cash and come along',it would be bad for business.

Sounds like an online viewing within the confines of a darkened room is the way to go, so.

I wasn't aware it was originally out a couple of years ago.

Tags
film
Back
Top Bottom