The Smiths' Biggest, Most Unlikely Fan: Pantera's Phil Anselmo - radio.com

What exactly do you find so objectionable in that video?
It would be nice for once if you actually contributed something worthwhile, instead of posting a video like that and expecting it to speak for itself.

If what Phil Anselmo said in that video is so horrifyingly unpleasant/racist, etc, how about you list a few reasons why so we'll know where you're coming from?

Posting videos/pictures/blanket statements might wash over on SLATUKIP where you're preaching to the choir, and are never challenged, but when you do it outside of your bubble you should expect people to want you to divulge slightly more than you're usually willing to.

I am suspicious that you may pointless to argue with, but I am curious--did you actually watch the video?

anyone who thinks Phil is a racist is a moron. He had his issues with drugs in the past and said stupid shit onstage, he's from new Orleans and went through the whole rebel flag southern pride phase which people misinterpret as racist. He has stated numerous times how his favorite sport is boxing and how his favorite athletes are black. He recently interviewed 50 Cent for a music magazine. His band Down invited all their friends onstage at their show last summer in New Orleans which included several black people. 4 minutes into this video he addresses the racist "rumors" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmnHiQH91nI

"Black people walk around wearing t-shirts saying 'Stop Black on Black Crime.' What does that mean to you? That means it's okay to kill white people."

He says in the video that black people are human if they act a certain way. That means he will tolerate people who are black provided they adhere to some code he has. That is the definition of racism. The drummer of Pantera who knew him very well will never speak to him again and has commented about the stupid things he said onstage. This dude is like the wrong-thinking Henry Rollins. What he says onstage is meant for public consumption and he practically apologizes in this video for saying that he is not racist. "We're not racist" *crowd gets loud* "Wait...." Then he goes into his thing about how black people act "In the USA, where we're from."

If you like the way the guy sings that's fine. You now more about him than I do. I was never a fan of Pantera anyway, but I don't have any grudge against Phil Anselmo. But he is clearly a racist.

Uncle Skinny, the person that says you post things and expect them to speak for themselves is correct. You have had a habit of doing that. When someone actually asks for an explanation and you respond with anger, it seems the anger is there as an excuse not to make a statement that you will have to defend with logic. that's just my impression.

for the record, I know some people into metal that also like "The Smiths" :eek:
and as far as I am aware, they are not anymore than a little bit racist* :thumb:

*=
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLM[/video]

Doubt this guy is the biggest Smiths fan though, whoever he is..

Indeed he does. Not a nice person.

P.

Anselmo had done some real dumb shit in the past, but he's been doing his best to atone for all that in the past decade. Do a bit of research, you might be surprised. The man has a huge heart and he's put all that tough-guy mumbojumbo behind him.

And at least he owns up to his mistakes. Can't say the same for Moz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil has said all sorts of dumb shit in the past, but he's also freely admitted being of his head on drugs and alcohol for a lot of that time. It would be nice if you think the guy is a racist to post a recent video of him talking shit, rather than one than one from nearly 20 years ago.

Phil has said all sorts of dumb shit in the past, but he's also freely admitted being of his head on drugs and alcohol for a lot of that time. It would be nice if you think the guy is a racist to post a recent video of him talking shit, rather than one than one from nearly 20 years ago.

I know my friends and I always turn into racists when we drink and when I was a drug addict I was practically Hitler, so this makes sense. </sarcasm>

I love that Morrissey fans are condemning Phil for stupid things he has said considering Morrissey is the KING of saying the most idiotic retarded shit known to mankind...How many times has Morrissey been accused of racism over the years? Too many times to count

I love that Morrissey fans are condemning Phil for stupid things he has said considering Morrissey is the KING of saying the most idiotic retarded shit known to mankind...How many times has Morrissey been accused of racism over the years? Too many times to count

And? What is your point? I've been openly critical of Morrissey's comments on immigration, the UKIP, and race on this board before. So why can't I criticize Phil Anselmo as well? And to be quite frank Phil Anselmo's "white pride" speech is far worse than anything Morrissey has ever said on the subject--and I think his statements are a lot more abhorrent than many on here would care to admit.

I never get this attempt to shut people up and silence people on here with "BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT MORRISSEY DID IT!" Am I Morrissey? Do I make his lips move? Are you five years old?

And? What is your point? I've been openly critical of Morrissey's comments on immigration, the UKIP, and race on this board before. So why can't I criticize Phil Anselmo as well? And to be quite frank Phil Anselmo's "white pride" speech is far worse than anything Morrissey has ever said on the subject--and I think his statements are a lot more abhorrent than many on here would care to admit.

I never get this attempt to shut people up and silence people on here with "BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT MORRISSEY DID IT!" Am I Morrissey? Do I make his lips move? Are you five years old?

Well, in answer to the question of why respond with "Morrissey did it", there is also the question of what relevance Anselmo's rants have to this general posting. In other words, (your own initial word, in fact) "And?"

Saying that Morrissey has said stupid things has at least as much relevance as the initial posting of Anselmo's rant. Which may, in fact, be none, but at least it's a response of like to like.

Well, in answer to the question of why respond with "Morrissey did it", there is also the question of what relevance Anselmo's rants have to this general posting. In other words, (your own initial word, in fact) "And?"

Saying that Morrissey has said stupid things has at least as much relevance as the initial posting of Anselmo's rant. Which may, in fact, be none, but at least it's a response of like to like.

The relevance Anselmo's rants have to this thread is that somebody asked a question about him and got a response.

I mentioned that I was vaguely familiar with Anselmo having seen Superjoint Ritual in concert once, but had no idea about his rather ugly views.

Right on cue came the usual Morrissey haters with their oh so tiresome whining "BUT MORRISSEY SAID BUT MORRISSEY SAID OMG YOU GUYS ARE ALL HYPOCRITES! MORRISSEY SAID!"

How lame.

Not only because some people on this board seem to think I must be Morrissey (after all I am responsible for everything he has said ever no matter what the context), but because you guys continue to sound like whiney children.

And stop hiding behind being anonymous. Get a f***ing account. And work on your reading comprehension too--it will save the embarrassment of things like your last post.

These comments accusing Phil of racism are dumb... he made that speech during his drug addiction; also if you check out what he is actually saying, it's more to do with the way the media reports murder and serious crime - in the UK and the US there is this bullshit expectation that if you're a white person you have to be almost embarrassed about your ethnicity due to colonialism... which to me is absolutely awful; why should a person/or group who had nothing to do with these dark events be held to account? Answer: they shouldn't (This is coming from a mixed race guy).

I met Phil in 92-93 in Croydon, London and found him to be a nice guy; along with Dimebag... not alot of people in bands have time for their fans like Pantera did.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom