The Smiths Mastered for iTunes - to celebrate 30th anniversary of debut album

Waldo writes:

Just received this on email, contents on the attached link.

Can't see who'll be getting this, what on earth will remastering specifically for itunes entail ?

"Mastered for iTunes ensures that music is delivered to the listeners with greatly improved audio fidelity, more closely replicating the intentions of the artists, producers and recording engineers."

remastered_for_itunes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Shame we still won't get those last songs that didn't get the remastered treatment for Complete, though.

Does anyone else miss those great days of the latest "Extra Track (And A Tacky Badge)" blog post popping up in the RSS feeds? God, that was great. It was almost like getting the originals for the first time. After about the third post I went over there expecting it to have been taken down, but somehow it made it through to the end.

I hadn't heard the remastered I Keep Mine Hidden yet. Nice!

Didn't get the email but saw on Facebook.

Now I can add these to the Albums,cassettes,and regular Cd's
W` the remastered's already purchased over the years . I wont Quote ..

"...and the northern leeches go on, removing, removing, removing..."

I hadn't heard the remastered I Keep Mine Hidden yet. Nice!

When you bought the 'Complete' boxset you also got MP3 downloads of the tracks - and the remixed version of 'I Keep Mine Hidden' wasn't there - the download version was just the bog-standard originally issued mix.
So the 'new' version may not even be available on i-tunes.

Apple (and even Amazon) just needs to start selling lossless tracks, period. You can set iTunes to put AAC versions on your iDevice while maintaining lossless on your PC which has plenty of storage (and if not you can buy it cheaply). When that day comes, I will stop buying CDs; until then, I mostly buy CDs and rip them myself to lossless files. Hopefully they will realize this soon so that those of us who want quality can get the convenience of downloading music and get that same instant gratification. I might even end up buying more music in that scenario and that's good for the entire industry.....food for thought.

Why does 'Complete' on iTunes have SHAKESPEARE'S SISTER listed twice for this new Mastered Edition?

When you bought the 'Complete' boxset you also got MP3 downloads of the tracks - and the remixed version of 'I Keep Mine Hidden' wasn't there - the download version was just the bog-standard originally issued mix.
So the 'new' version may not even be available on i-tunes.

I am no expert, but the "I Keep Mine Hidden" I got via the new iTunes "Complete" download sounded very much remixed and greatly improved.

So iTunes remastered all the albums AND the Complete box? Isn't that kind of redundant? Is the box a re-remaster now?

They re-mastered the re-masters.
Anyone keeping track of how many times these songs have been remastered over the various re-issues through the years? We've got to be up to 7 or 8 versions by now, surely?
And the original Rough Trade versions still sound the best.

"mastered for iTunes" is a new standard for lossy music encoding that ensures that, although lossy, the quality should be about as high as it can be. the main difference between a music file encoded to a standard mp3 vs a MFiT file is that MFiT uses 24 bit source files, which is of higher resolution than even cds (which use 16 bit techonology). in short, it's a higher range of the musical spectrum.
here's a somewhat technical discussion of the process: http://blog.lacquerchannel.com/mastered-for-itunes/

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom