The Smiths saluted in Mojo magazine (Aug. 2016)

The Smiths Saluted In New MOJO Magazine - MOJO
30 years since The Queen Is Dead redefined British rock, the stories behind their 50 Greatest Songs, plus Morrissey movie latest and Marr memoir update.

By DANNY ECCLESTON

Excerpt:

THE NEW MOJO magazine (MOJO 273 / August 2016) is a Smiths extravaganza, with the stories behind their 50 Greatest Songs plus brand new insights into their art from the likes of Richard Hawley, Hans Zimmer and Elbow’s Guy Garvey.

...Meanwhile, exclusive access to the set and star of the Morrissey biopic due next year brings new perspectives on The Smiths and their singer, including more on the influence of Morrissey’s friend Anji Hardy, who died of leukaemia in 1977.

“Everybody knows about Morrissey’s fixation with the Moors Murders,” says the film’s writer and director Mark Gill, “and, of course, the first song he writes with Johnny Marr is Suffer Little Children. Anji’s sister said that Anji was fascinated by the Moors Murders and true crime, and you wonder if that influenced Morrissey. They met at a concert where she was wearing a New York Dolls T-shirt, and they connected over music.”

Elsewhere, Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr reveals the motivations behind his memoir, publishing in the autumn: from the example of his friends Nile Rodgers and Andrew Loog Oldham to the fact that “every single one of [the existing books on The Smiths] except one is a total load of shit.”

38796_TheSmiths_50-770.jpg

38797_MOJO273_Smiths_CD.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bozo the clown ‏@Dirky707
@MOJOmagazine It's a shame the article on the Moz movie fails to point out all the inaccuracies.

i thought he meant autobiography as well,,,but didnt johnny say he hadnt read it.

He obviously meant Songs That Saved Your Life - he cooperated with the author, Simon Goddard

Must be Autobiography.
Ha! I think basically it's a matter of being diplomatic, allowing everyone to think "their" favorite Smiths-related book is the one exception. In all honesty, I'd go with anonymous and say it's Goddard's Songs That Saved Your Life as it has all the song-related details and nearly nothing of the gossip. By this logic, however, Mozipedia would be one of the loads of shit, though ;-)

What has that CD of tracks got to do with The Smiths?
Well it has The Fall on it! No, this is one of Mojo's favorite ploys - to make their monthly "current music" CD appealing by adding Smiths-looking artwork (or whoever is on their cover that month). Mostly has nothing to do with the cover artist. Remember the one that looked like Hatful of Hollow? Urgh.

I think the idea is they're supposed to be indie independent artists. At least that's what I would guess from the caption on the disk

'the fact that “every single one of [the existing books on The Smiths] except one is a total load of shit.” - Marr

Must be Autobiography.

I thought the same thing. Is the one book Autobiography? Also, is he saying that he's read all the other books about The Smiths? Some interesting questions. Oh I get it. I'll have to read his book to find out. Very sneaky John, very sneaky.

It's perfectly normal for music magazines to give away a free CD. They are rarely related to the cover star(s).

Yes, but the CD has actually been given a Smiths title as its name (can't remember which - possibly Hand in Glove)
Thought it would be full of cover versions but no...

Yes, but the CD has actually been given a Smiths title as its name (can't remember which - possibly Hand in Glove)
Thought it would be full of cover versions but no...
Actually, I thought that would be the case with the one that looked liked Hatful of Hollow. But no, they chose to fill it with second-league weak indie cr@p of the kind Marr professed to hate with a vengeance. It's called How Soon Is Now? btw (of course) and the tracks are OK'ish. (Don't know if one of the anonymouses mentioned this already, I have a no-anonymous filter on.) Best of the lot are The Fall and Lush, but I already had these.

The article on the Steven film is quite insightful though. Seems they got Billy Duffy on board, who apparently remembers everything about the Nosebleeds. And there will be a scene where the Nosebleeds perform. So will we finally hear some of the Morrissey/Duffy songs performed? :-D :-O

Tags
england is mine movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom