The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Bloody Valentine should be mentioned here too, as proto-post-rock.

Post-Smiths ...

My Bloody Valentine (especially their last two albums) may be considered the only (&not only British) band that actually brought
something very new and original to the table, since The Smiths.

Followed to a lesser degree by Stereolab and Suede.

I hate all the Glasgow bands, they scarred me with their musical snobbery. I can name obscure absurdist playwrights but who even cares??? 🤨

Amen. Snobbery that makes the politburo look like a bunch of stoners. Scotland, and by that í mean Glasgow {cos where else is there?), could never produce a truly great band. It has too much of an inferiority complex and an utter desperation to look to America, or just anywhere that isn't England, for 'inspiration'. Preferably stoned 60s/70s wasted Americana 😴

Maybe slightly coloured by the fact that í knew people who knew some of these people in these 'cool bands' {BS etc} and, shockeroonie, twee whimsy pixie folk can actually be actual shits. All the time.

I think they had an interesting musical answer the the challenge presented by those two bands. In about 2000, when I’d virtually given up on new guitar music (because it had all become inferior approximations of the best of before) they offered hope. And they were enormously (If quietly) influential: God Speed You Black Emperor, Pelican, God is an Astronaut and so on.

No, My Bloody Valentine had the ‘interesting musical answer’ to all that’s come before, at least in regards to guitar music.

I think My Bloody Valentine were the only band to come out of the 90’s that really did something original.

Followed by Pixies, Stereolab, Suede.

Other less known bands like Dog Faced Hermans, Gallon Drunk,etc deserve mention, though I’m focusing on bands that were a bit more accessible.

If he had to choose between Buzzcocks and Sex Pistols, I believe he would choose Buzzcocks. No?

He said this about Buzzcocks in a letter to the editor of NME in the late 70's -

Both this letter and Buzzcocks themselves will probably be filed and forgotten. But for now, they are the best kick-ass rock band in the country."

Amen. Snobbery that makes the politburo look like a bunch of stoners. Scotland, and by that í mean Glasgow {cos where else is there?), could never produce a truly great band. It has too much of an inferiority complex and an utter desperation to look to America, or just anywhere that isn't England, for 'inspiration'. Preferably stoned 60s/70s wasted Americana 😴

Maybe slightly coloured by the fact that í knew people who knew some of these people in these 'cool bands' {BS etc} and, shockeroonie, twee whimsy pixie folk can actually be actual shits. All the time.

I deleted in case it looked mean - but it really is that bad.

He said this about Buzzcocks in a letter to the editor of NME in the late 70's -

Both this letter and Buzzcocks themselves will probably be filed and forgotten. But for now, they are the best kick-ass rock band in the country."
Yes, but by that time The Sex Pistols had imploded?

No, My Bloody Valentine had the ‘interesting musical answer’ to all that’s come before, at least in regards to guitar music.

I think My Bloody Valentine were the only band to come out of the 90’s that really did something original.

Followed by Pixies, Stereolab, Suede.

Other less known bands like Dog Faced Hermans, Gallon Drunk,etc deserve mention, though I’m focusing on bands that were a bit more accessible.
I think their first album was late 80s?

Yes. But they suffered a bereavement, so I will let my eyes slide past their name in silence.

Nico had an album in 85 called Camera Obscura

Let’s not forget those truly original & brave souls that paved the way ....

It was very sad.

That’s tragic. As you might understand, I’ve stopped watching the news so I had no idea. I really liked the band.

I saw them live when they first started in Manchester’s Night and Day. I went expecting nothing and was treated to a brilliant set. A great outfit.

That’s tragic. As you might understand, I’ve stopped watching the news so I had no idea. I really liked the band.

I saw them live when they first started in Manchester’s Night and Day. I went expecting nothing and was treated to a brilliant set. A great outfit.
Who is ‘Beyoncé’? What should I listen to?
I guess, when the Beyoncé hype started all those years ago I was underwhelmed and I honestly haven’t heard a song by her from start to finish, ever. Until today.

Given Nerak’s endorsement, I gave some of it a go on Apple Music. A few tracks were quite good. One has made it onto my running playlist: Sorry.
Are Camera Obscura from Glasgow? Their album, Underachievers Please Try Harder, is a ten out of ten.
Yes, but by that time The Sex Pistols had imploded?
I think their first album was late 80s?
Really??? I had no idea.

Do you actually know anything, about anything you dummo??

She is without doubt the greatest/ best/ most influential female ( or our greatest artist of all time) ever... she is faultless in her work , Ariel was one of the weirdest albums I’ve ever heard, she makes bjork sound tediously dull...
Kate Bush is brilliant. While drunk after a Cure concert I ordered two Kate Bush vinyl boxsets, one of which has Ariel. Bloody phones make it too easy to buy stuff. Still was way cheaper than Tower Records.
I'd rate Siouxsie as brilliant as Kate Bush.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom