THink about it "M" people

Re: nothing to do with racism

Code:
I think that the example I cited this morning is concrete.  Morrissey Inc. has discriminated against listeners' nationality and decided that a certain demographic should not be allowed to download YOR nor pre-order tickets for his shows.  I'm not upset that he won't tour Canada.  I'm offended that I cannot purchase concert tickets or digitial product because of my nationality.[/QUOTE]

It is hard to defend Morrissey's position over Canada. He hates the seal cull. He wont play there or release music there as a result. He does not take this stance with Spain (where they watch bulls fight) or Japan or Norway (where they hunt whales) or a multitude of other countries where animals are mistreated. I accept he is inconsistent in this regard. However, he is not racist against anyone including Canadians. To suggest that he is frankly ridiculous and you know it.

To love Morrissey is to love his genius as well as his inconsistencies. Perhaps you cant have one without the other?

Re: nothing to do with racism

Can you give us the concrete evidence of Morrissey is a racist?

I think that the example I cited this morning is concrete. Morrissey Inc. has discriminated against listeners' nationality and decided that a certain demographic should not be allowed to download YOR nor pre-order tickets for his shows. I'm not upset that he won't tour Canada. I'm offended that I cannot purchase concert tickets or digitial product because of my nationality.

Why not move, just a thought......;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Blimey an actual "star" that stands up for what he believes in and doesn't relinquishes his beliefs.:eek:

He doesn't eat the corpses of animals and doesn't play Canada because of the Seal hunt.Amen.

There are worse things to have to do than travel to see Morrissey.You could travel to see U2.Now that would be a real tragedy.:rolleyes:

unfortunately, bringing up this subject again won't change anything. you'd have to speak directly to morrissey or the canadian government in order to make some sort of a resolution (which is altogether unlikely). as a canadian moz fan, it was dissapointing to hear that he wouldn't be coming here to tour. but i think it would be even more dissapointing to know he didn't follow his beliefs and didn't act according to what he feels is right. he can be inconsistent with his beliefs sometimes but as was mentioned, you have to take his imperfections with his genius. i suggest that you make a road trip to the nearest date to see him because it's an experience you won't forget.

really we can disagree all we like, but it is his choice in the end. would you really rather sulk that he won't come here instead of going and seeing him perform? if it is truly about the music and nothing else, it shouldn't matter where he plays, just that you are there and enjoying yourself.

Blimey an actual "star" that stands up for what he believes in and doesn't relinquishes his beliefs.:eek:

He doesn't eat the corpses of animals and doesn't play Canada because of the Seal hunt.Amen.

There are worse things to have to do than travel to see Morrissey.You could travel to see U2.Now that would be a real tragedy.:rolleyes:

But how is ignoring a country going to stop or prevent it? Oh yes I won't sing any songs in your country because you are horrible to seals. Oh but yes...I'll play America were the government spends bizillions and bizillions on murdering humans.

I'm sure if you were in the exact same position as Candanian fans you wouldn't say that.

Last edited:
... i suggest that you make a road trip to the nearest date to see him because it's an experience you won't forget.

really we can disagree all we like, but it is his choice in the end. would you really rather sulk that he won't come here instead of going and seeing him perform? if it is truly about the music and nothing else, it shouldn't matter where he plays, just that you are there and enjoying yourself.

I have no problem with him not touring Canada. My issue is that because I am Canadian, I could not pre-order tickets to see him at venues in the states. I was trying to travel to see the show, but Morrissey does not want Canadians there by not allowing them to purchase tickets to the shows. That to me, is offensive.

I have no problem with him not touring Canada. My issue is that because I am Canadian, I could not pre-order tickets to see him at venues in the states. I was trying to travel to see the show, but Morrissey does not want Canadians there by not allowing them to purchase tickets to the shows. That to me, is offensive.

Morrissey has nothing to do with deciding which country gets to buy tickets first. This is all up to the venues which obviously have their policies regarding online ticket sales.

Have you talked to Ticketmaster, the venues in question, etc., about this? At least find out what their reasoning (if any) is.

I doubt that any of that is Morrissey's fault.

Posting in this thread because I saw "M people"

102848-004-045D0B1B.jpg

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...ng-his-maudlin-back-to-main-street-u-s-a.aspx
Morrissey to bring his maudlin back to Main Street, U.S.A., but not Canada by Jason Rehel

"Steven Patrick Morrissey, long missing from the North American music market's stable of pop legends, is coming back next year with a splash. The Moz has signed a U.S. record deal with Lost Highway Records, home to Lyle Lovett and Elvis Costello, and based in Nashville, Tenn., to release his upcoming album Years of Refusal. The album will still be on the Mozzer's own Attack imprint, and we have no word of Canadian details on the deal. At the very least, U.S. imports should set fans back less than their U.K. equivalents. It looks like the album could be available as soon as tomorrow in some markets, but wider only in February.
The track listing is slated as:

1. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
2. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
3. Black Cloud
4. I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris
5. All You Need Is Me
6. When Last I Spoke to Carol
7. That’s How People Grow Up
8. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
9. It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore
10. You Were Good In Your Time
11. Sorry Doesn’t Help
12. I’m OK By Myself

And the huge U.S. tour scheduled for early 2009 will take Morrissey all over those United States, but unfortunately as close as he'll get to Canada this time around will be Chicago, Boston, New York and Buffalo, N.Y. on March 19 (and it's sure to be a sea of red). The tour kicks off in Boca Raton, Fla., oddly enough. Although heck, Florida is easy on the skin in March, right? It seems that we're still all being punished for those seal hunts, what with the cute quotient and the cause celebre factor (will the Moz actually pose nude with Eva Mendes? What happened to "Me without clothes — a nation turns its back and gags"?) Well, we're certainly happy to hear that self-confidence finally took root for the Moz, some time between then and now. We're just sorry that political rationality seems to still be lacking — after all, doesn't the Canadian boycott hurt the people who identify most fervently with his Meat is Murder message? Just sayin'. Maybe coming to play, say, a symbolic gig in Toronto or Ottawa might send a better message? Otherwise, Canadian fans will just have to stay up in their rooms and listen to the records...":cool:

I for what its worth totalyy agree with moz on his reasosn not to play in canada,
shame how he doesnt apply the same principles in Spain, where they are just as cruel if not more so. (and i dont mean to seals :rolleyes:)

He shouldn't for so many reasons play the U.S.A.; however, still does. Look at what the rest of the world thinks of America compared to Canada. EH! He goes where the $$ is.

I would say all Morrissey fans agree that the seal cull is absolutely inhumane, disgusting, unnessesary, and cruel.

But I seem to remember a quote from Moz about how even peaceful protest does not make a difference.

There is cruelty in every counrty all over the world. Especially Canada, where Morrissey
fans are being deprived of a basic human need- Morrissey love.

Morrissey just get your pert butt over here, shower us with music and Moz love and lead us in a massive protest against this barbaric practice.

We love the seals. We love you.

So well said. I definately don't agree with teh seal crap that goes on. I also think the people who so "wholehartedly" agree with him live in the states where they don't have to worry. Then again the U.S. doesn't worry about it's own people either.

The pre-order process discriminates against nationality and place of residence. As a Canadian, I could not pre-order tickets and am apparently not worthy to download YOR or have access to the best seats at the Buffalo show. Morrissey continues to demonstrate that he can be a dispicable human being and is selecting his audience based on their nationality. This is another example of racism to add to his long list of racist practices.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

So well said! I don't agree with the sel crap either; it's terrible. I also think the people who "woleheartedly" agree with Morrissey must live in the states, where teh government doesn't worry about it's own let alone seals.

Peace

Is Moz still boycotting Canada?

I noticed he did a Q&A with Maxim Canada.

Is Canada still the most evil country on earth, or can we chill on that shit now?

It's so cold in Cleveland, Lake Erie is 90% frozen over. Which means I could walk right across the lake to Ontario.

Another dumb thread. Just wanna give Kewpie some things to shift and merge about. :)

Re: Is Moz still boycotting Canada?

well he probably didn't do the interview with maxim canada did he? it was probably an interview from the uk or the american version just being used by the canadian one.

you should write him a letter.

i hear he singles out people from canada and bans them from his presales.

No Canadian shows because...

...people in northern Canada make a living off the seal hunt?

I'm not here to debate whether the Canadian seal hunt is ethical or not. I don't eat or wear seal. I don't club seals and I've never wronged a seal - as far as I know.

What I do know is that I have been an avid fan of Moz for more than 20 years. I've bought his records, shirts and concert tickets time and time again. Now I'm being shut out because there's a seal hunt in Canada?

It's great to have conviction and to show one's support for a cause, but this is idiocy. Morrissey's Canadian fans are the only ones who'll suffer.

...besides the baby seal I'm gonna take this shit out on.

Re: No Canadian shows because...

I rarely, if ever, post on this site due to the fact that I will be condemned, scoffed at and ridiculed for what I may voice in print here.

But...
Morrissey is my hero for actually standing up to such an atrocity and taking action on it, instead of most of the human beings who are apathetic to practices that are blatently wrong, barbaric and archaic.

Instead of sitting back and saying "I cannot do anything about this" ~or~ even better yet "I am going to pretend it does not exist". Why not take action? Write your government? Protest? Stop eating seafood (the Canadian seafood industry is directly correlated with the seal hunt, since hunting baby seals is their "off season" job. Truly an ill thought, I know)

When people act it CAN make a difference, and I know it is not impossible. I have taken action before on issues and have seen it make a difference, change people's thinking and create change.

visit www.harpseals.org for more information

If you need assistance?
I would be happy to help

Kind Regards
~K

I'm sorry, but Morrissey not playing for his Canadian fans will change absolutely nothing....

He's just punishing his loyal fans up there with this mentality... it accomplishes zero.

The Canadian government doesn't give a shit abut him not playing in their country, lets get real...

Instead of sitting back and saying "I cannot do anything about this" ~or~ even better yet "I am going to pretend it does not exist". Why not take action? Write your government? Protest? Stop eating seafood (the Canadian seafood industry is directly correlated with the seal hunt, since hunting baby seals is their "off season" job. Truly an ill thought, I know)

Moz should play for his fans and take a couple mins during the shows to talk (preach) to them about all this... it'd do more good than disappointing & angering them by skipping Canada again

Luv, EOH

He is becoming a thng of the past and being forgotten. He needs to get back to Canada because I can't justify putting $200.00 worth of carbon monoxide into the air. $2 bills gets me to the show and a hotel with a few m8s here in Toronto. He should use His Canadian seal hunt boycott as a platform for awareness. Make a statement.
Tell me what you think.
Peace

His boycott of Canada is helping to save lives.

...people in northern Canada make a living off the seal hunt?

I'm not here to debate whether the Canadian seal hunt is ethical or not. I don't eat or wear seal. I don't club seals and I've never wronged a seal - as far as I know.

What I do know is that I have been an avid fan of Moz for more than 20 years. I've bought his records, shirts and concert tickets time and time again. Now I'm being shut out because there's a seal hunt in Canada?

It's great to have conviction and to show one's support for a cause, but this is idiocy. Morrissey's Canadian fans are the only ones who'll suffer.

...besides the baby seal I'm gonna take this shit out on.

If you really want Morrissey to start touring your country again, then write your lawmakers about how much you hate the seal hunt, create and pass around petitions, stage protests and boycotts, etc. You, as a Canadian citizen, have much more power over this than I do, as an American citizen. You have the power to bring Morrissey back. I suggest that you exercise it.

Back
Top Bottom